• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cthulhu Downgrade or tier change?

FanofRPGs

VS Battles
Retired
So I listened to The Whisperer in the Dark (Great story btw, really chilling ending), and I found the statement in which Cthulhu is claimed to have destroyed stars.

"Never was a sane man more dangerously close to the arcana of basic entity—never was an organic brain nearer to utter annihilation in the chaos that transcends form and force and symmetry. I learned whence Cthulhu first came, and why half the great temporary stars of history had flared forth. I guessed—from hints which made even my informant pause timidly—the secret behind the Magellanic Clouds and globular nebulae, and the black truth veiled by the immemorial allegory of Tao. The nature of the Doels was plainly revealed, and I was told the essence (though not the source) of the Hounds of Tindalos. The legend of Yig, Father of Serpents, remained figurative no longer, and I started with loathing when told of the monstrous nuclear chaos beyond angled space which the Necronomicon had mercifully cloaked under the name of Azathoth."

Basically the context is that the beings of the planet Yuggoth have vast knowledge on the universe and beyond, and know why certain things happened. Now, due to the comma in it, it is clear that these were separate occurences whcih were listed as things the beings of Yuggoth understood and knew about. This is not saying that the beings of Yuggoth knew of Cthulhu, who caused the death of many stars. No, they are saying they know of Cthulhu, and they know why so many stars in the universe died. These are separate. So, should Cthulhu's 4-C rating be removed and instead be kept at unknown?

Half yes, half no.

The quote doesn't directly state "Cthulhu destroyed stars", but instead insinuates Cthulhu is connected with said supernovae.

"I learned whence Cthulhu first came, and why half the great temporary stars of history had flared forth." is its own sentence. It is a connected thought, albeit one with a pause.

As an example, the following sentence links thoughts both regarding the truth behind secrets of the universe. The one after that is a self-contained sentence via discussing the nature of different creatures, in this case Doels and Hounds. The last regards what the narrator thought to be allegorical myths turning out to be true.

Basically, Cthulhu's origin and stars going supernova are related thoughts, but we don't know how or why. This is part of why I thought he should be straight up unknown, in the first place.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
Half yes, half no.
The quote doesn't directly state "Cthulhu destroyed stars", but instead insinuates Cthulhu is connected with said supernovae.

"I learned whence Cthulhu first came, and why half the great temporary stars of history had flared forth." is its own sentence. It is a connected thought, albeit one with a pause.

As an example, the following sentence links thoughts both regarding the truth behind secrets of the universe. The one after that is a self-contained sentence via discussing the nature of different creatures, in this case Doels and Hounds. The last regards what the narrator thought to be allegorical myths turning out to be true.

Basically, Cthulhu's origin and stars going supernova are related thoughts, but we don't know how or why. This is part of why I thought he should be straight up unknown, in the first place.
I don't see how that works given "the secret behind the Magellanic Clouds and globular nebulae, and the black truth veiled by the immemorial allegory of Tao" which seem pretty unrelated. Same with Yig (Not read it yet, so might be wrong) and Azathoth.

@Matt, they are unrelated or very vaguely connected at most. The beings from Yuggoth knew about Cthulhu, they also knew why so many stars went supernova for unexplained reasons.

Matthew Schroeder said:
The two statements are connected and are part of the same thought process.

tao has no importance with the large magellanic clouds or or globular nebulae, nor does Yig with Azathoth most assumably, so why should we infer there is a relation between Cthulhu and stars flaring? We don't even know how or why they flare. Its a single statement never elaborated on that is really vague and may be barely connected at most.

@Fan

Basic interpretation, really. One example of vague separation doesn't mean all the others aren't.

"I learned whence Cthulhu first came, and why half the great temporary stars of history had flared forth."

Is a complete sentence that makes sense when both things are fused. The other examples don't.

Back