• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Combat speed vs movement speed

They should be different. Combat requires lots of back and forth movement so it's more about being able to accelerate to a certain speed in a short period of time, with movement it's typically measured over a long distance so you have plenty of time to reach your top speed.

my honest opinion is the following; speed is speed, no matter how it was meassures or by which means, whether the character was fighting or traveling during the time the feat occured bears no weight at all...

My opinion:

They are different. Travel speed can be a lot higher, because they have sufficient time to accelerate other than in combat. On the other hand travel speed can also be lower than combat speed, because of the Stamina of the characters for example.

There are a lot of instances were they become the same, but saying they are the same in general is an overgeneralization in my opinion.

There's really nothing to this... If you can move at this speed and react to it without any reprecussions such as crashing, or the like, then you can also react to that speed. And if you can react at that speed, you can probably fight at that speed too.

My experience is that it depends from fiction to fiction. For example Marvel has officially listed plenty of characters as being able to fly much FTL while only having slightly superhuman movement speeds.

Antvasima said:
My experience is that it depends from fiction to fiction. For example Marvel has officially listed plenty of characters as being able to fly much FTL while only having slightly superhuman movement speeds.
If that's how Marvel sees it, that's completely fine. But to traverse a galaxy, you need the reactions to be capable of keeping pace and finding where you need to go. Rarely, unless as a joke, do you see a character going at said speeds and not being capable of keeping track of whatever is happening around them.

Well, according to that logic, the characters who are able to perceive their entire travel distance in slow motion would also go insane and catatonic from the experience, as to their subjective perspectives the trips through space would take billions of years.

Should happen to the Flash, but he seems to have the ability to concentrate the ability to see at said speeds rather than have it always on, otherwise he would go mad.

I am just saying that we likely cannot automatically use real world logic for this, as said logic also means practical consequences.

Not to mention that time should logically slow down to stretch a moment to infinity as an object approaches the speed of light. Or at least if I remember correctly?

Antvasima said:
I am just saying that we likely cannot automatically use real world logic for this, as said logic also means practical consequences.
You're the one who was just using said real world logic to dictate that the people capable of these speeds should be frozen from a catatonic mind screw.

I am saying that said real world logic can be used in several ways, with practical consequences, and as such, just because certain characters can travel at MFTL+ speeds through outer space, does not automatically mean that we can assume that they can move at those speeds by running or combat. It depends between different fictions. As DontTalk said, there is also the gradual linear acceleration versus quick back and forth movements issue to consider.

OK then, have fun fixing all of those DC and Marvel profiles that say that characters can do such. Because that's what you're implying.

There are serious problems with the Marvel and DC profiles in this wiki, yes, and I and Lord Kavpeny just wrote some regulations for powerscaling them. But watch the attitude please.

You ordered me to fix every problem in this wiki with Marvel and DC characters, just because I have a certain viewpoint. That equals giving attitude in my book. It is very possible that you have given much worse attitude elsewhere naturally.

That said, I agree that several DC and particularly Marvel characters have far too high speed ratings but I cannot change it without gaining consensus regarding the matter.

That's me ordering you to fix all the problems? I don't remember telling you, you should, I remember saying.... The statement is right up there, you think I'm ordering you to do anything? I must have some outright trememndous potential for power, mind control, totalitarianism. I'm a dictator now?

Can you please show me when I ordered you to change anything. This is my attitude. I don't like being told that I said something when I didn't say a damned thing like you just accused me of doing. I also remember saying, "that's what you're implying", which means that that's what's going to have to happen. But ordering you? I don't know how you could have gotten even an inkling of such an idea.

Trust me, I don't mind speaking out about what I find as right. I already showed that in another thread we've both been in. Whether it's right to you, or right to me is irrelevant, it's all about the facts, whether I like your idea or not is my business. I don't tell you what to do though, so please do not even think I'm telling you to do anything. It's only gonna make my "attitude" as you just called it much worse.

Then I'm gonna get banned over an incident because you just said I did something I didn't do, and I may be a sarcastic prick. But never a liar. I may be wrong, but I will always say if I was wrong, as I've done multiple times here as well. And that's all there is to it.

All right. Calm down. I don't have the energy to deal with some kind of pointless shouting match.

That's not me shouting. Again, I'm not angry, that was my attitude. I don't like being called something when I didn't do it. My attitude was right there for you to see. I'm sorry how i said it, but I meant what I said. If something has to happen to me to prove my point, it'll have to happen. Time will go on, but I won't be something that I know I'm not and will defend myself, my friends, and what I say with words and phrases whenever you need me to. I won't tell you what to do, I've acted respectfully to you. If you want to see "less respectful", I can show that too. Admins at power doesn't mean anything to me, was it right or was it wrong. That means something.

So again, I'm sorry how I said it.

Well, my main concern is if visitors cause more trouble than they are worth or not, as I don't have the energy to constantly deal with them all if they do.

I understand that. That's why you don't have to put all that crap on your shoulders. Get those that you see as dependable, like LK, and then make sure that they get some of the burden. You're only one dude, Ant.

Yeah, and I cannot keep this up forever. But again, it is hard to find intelligent, reliable, dedicated, levelheaded, and unbiased admins. DontTalk would be ideal, but he is busy at the moment.

Antvasima said:
Yeah, and I cannot keep this up forever. But again, it is hard to find intelligent, reliable, dedicated, levelheaded, and unbiased admins. DontTalk would be ideal, but he is busy at the moment.
Well, as you can see I'm not levelheaded, and my intelligence comes more from diligence, as I'm not that intelligent. So, sorry I also don't fit those criteria. Considering this is the internet though, that's far harder to find than you think. You need people that you can trust to do the right thing.

Oh, I know that it is hard. We are trying to sift through the possibilities, but there are very few that seem suitable.

Again, you're not gonna find them. If you trust a person to do the right thing, and they have experience in a large amount of fictions to understand how the idea works on scaling. You should be set. You're looking to find a boy scout in a world full of slobs. You're not finding someone like that.

The problem with using slobs is that they are going to destroy the wiki in no time. There are a few candidates that are good enough, but not dedicated enough yet.

Back