• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Classic Doomguy's type 4 immortality

Well, to clarify, I meant I wasn't 100% sure on the type 4 immortality anymore. Not that I was almost 100% sure it was wrong, i'm just extremely unsure about it and I don't know what stance to take. I'm basically neutral on it now.

I personally don't agree with it existing as immortality either, dying and restarting at the save/start of level is a common game mechanic.

Alrighty. Since two staff members agreed to a removal of a single ability, I guess that's enough agreements? I obviously still need Doomguy's profile to be unlocked, but I doubt I'll have time to remove the ability since I'm going somewhere soon.

Alrighty. Since two staff members agreed to a removal of a single ability, I guess that's enough agreements? I obviously still need Doomguy's profile to be unlocked, but I doubt I'll have time to remove the ability since I'm going somewhere soon.
Pretty sure @KieranH10 is knowledgeable on DOOM and may have something to say on the matter, and I'd prefer us to not rush things through, even if most of us are in agreement.

If there's actual in game lore of this being a thing then that might help it, if the manuals are all that's given I don't see why this should validate immortality.

If there's actual in game lore of this being a thing then that might help it, if the manuals are all that's given I don't see why this should validate immortality.
The closest thing to is is Doomguy coming back to life after being killed by a squad of demons, & the whole shebang of powerups being canon (kind of implying the lives might be canon) and him having lives, but those aren't the same as "yeah every time you die time goes backwards for a few minutes and the entire event starts over".

I am now confused as I checked the ending of original Doom and it doesn’t seem to being the case.

We just shown with daisy dying…

It happens in the ending of episode 1 of the original DOOM, not the ending of the game itself. My memory is poor.

After looking at it again, it's him being sent to Hell after being killed by a group of demons. The demon's death-BFR stuff.

Isn’t the lives being treated as game mechanics? I honestly don’t remember if any of his powerups involved resurrection ngl.
You missed the point. I'm not arguing for it, I'm saying there's an implication of things like that being canon because of the canon powerups. I'm not saying to add this to the profile, I'm saying that it's an argument you can make. That is all.

Oh, right, forgot this exists.
It's never implied that Doomguy ressurects after being killed in this level. Since this was before all the crazy lore stuff, it's possible that his body and soul were sent to Hell after he was killed. The ending to Episode 2 at least implies that happened:
YOU'VE DONE IT! THE HIDEOUS CYBER-
DEMON LORD THAT RULED THE LOST DEIMOS
MOON BASE HAS BEEN SLAIN AND YOU
ARE TRIUMPHANT! BUT ... WHERE ARE
YOU? YOU CLAMBER TO THE EDGE OF THE
MOON AND LOOK DOWN TO SEE THE AWFUL
TRUTH.
DEIMOS FLOATS ABOVE HELL ITSELF!
YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE ESCAPING
FROM HELL, BUT YOU'LL MAKE THE BASTARDS
SORRY THEY EVER HEARD OF YOU! QUICKLY,
YOU RAPPEL DOWN TO THE SURFACE OF
HELL.
NOW, IT'S ON TO THE FINAL CHAPTER OF

DOOM! -- INFERNO.

Oh, right, forgot this exists.

It's never implied that Doomguy ressurects after being killed in this level. Since this was before all the crazy lore stuff, it's possible that his body and soul were sent to Hell after he was killed. The ending to Episode 2 at least implies that happened:
YOU'VE DONE IT! THE HIDEOUS CYBER-
DEMON LORD THAT RULED THE LOST DEIMOS
MOON BASE HAS BEEN SLAIN AND YOU
ARE TRIUMPHANT! BUT ... WHERE ARE
YOU? YOU CLAMBER TO THE EDGE OF THE
MOON AND LOOK DOWN TO SEE THE AWFUL
TRUTH.
DEIMOS FLOATS ABOVE HELL ITSELF!
YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE ESCAPING
FROM HELL, BUT YOU'LL MAKE THE BASTARDS
SORRY THEY EVER HEARD OF YOU! QUICKLY,
YOU RAPPEL DOWN TO THE SURFACE OF
HELL.
NOW, IT'S ON TO THE FINAL CHAPTER OF

DOOM! -- INFERNO.
"It happens in the ending of episode 1 of the original DOOM, not the ending of the game itself. My memory is poor.

After looking at it again, it's him being sent to Hell after being killed by a group of demons. The demon's death-BFR stuff."

Said this earlier, you must've missed it.

Alright, pretty much every user that's knowledgeable on DOOM here agrees that the ability should go. All that's left to do is to wait for DDM or somebody else to unlock Doomguy's profile and apply the change and find the scans for his type 2 immortality since it was removed and replaced with the scans for the debunked type 4 immortality stuff.

Alright, pretty much every user that's knowledgeable on DOOM here agrees that the ability should go. All that's left to do is to wait for DDM or somebody else to unlock Doomguy's profile and apply the change and find the scans for his type 2 immortality since it was removed and replaced with the scans for the debunked type 4 immortality stuff.
Didn't we change his Type 2 immortality to Supernatural Willpower? I mean, I guess they aren't mutually exclusive things.

Also yeah, the change can be applied but the profile needs to be opened.

He still has type 2 immortality in his Classic key, but I'm fine with slapping supernatural willpower on it instead.

The reason for it was that his rage was stated to allow him to "push beyond" aging, mortal wounds, "certain death", and illness. You guys can decide what that means.

In that situation, type 2 Immortality and Supernatural Willpower are basically interchangeable and there isn't any reason why one would overlap the other, or why he shouldn't just have both.

That sounds way wackier than your average, run-of-the-mill supernatural willpower. Shouldn't he have longevity and resistance to disease hax because of that?

This is the most persuasive scan:
P13PEnR_1.png

But yeah, sounds like a light-hearted way to describe gameplay mechanics with no elaboration on how this would fit in lore.

Shameless plug: Will publish a CRT that adds a few things to Doom Slayer pretty soon.

That sounds way wackier than your average, run-of-the-mill supernatural willpower. Shouldn't he have longevity and resistance to disease hax because of that?
I mean, he was in hell for what was stated to be Eons, & it's been roughly 170 earth years, so yes.

Explanation because I realized this sounds confusing as hell without context: DOOM 1 is set in 2012, and DOOM Eternal is set in like, 2160 or something like that.

supernatural willpower thing could also count as empowerment among other things

anyway agree with immortality removal

Back