• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Caleb VS Raziel

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
This one looks like it should be good. The powersets really seem to match up here, as do the character archetypes. (Supernatural, vengeance-seeking video game antiheroes who surpassed their mentors in some way.)

Rules

• Random encounter.
  • Speed is equalized.
  • Combatants start within 50 meters of each other.
  • Both characters are at their full potential. (Spiritual Reaver is restricted, though.)
  • Battle takes place here.
  • Winner by death or incapacitation.
Vote Count

How those Voodoo dolls would work in Raziel? He is beyond dead, but is a wraith rather than a zombie. Caleb doesn't seems to have a way to kill permanently Raziel, he is also physically weaker.

How much the Voodoo Doll's main function (read: the stabbing of it) would affect him depends on the nature of his undeath, but it should still affect him, as it's been shown to work on just about anything in the game that can move. (This includes gargoyles made entirely of animated stone)

Death and Soul Manipulation should bypass Raziel's regen unless the character has some specific resistance to such things. The "Death Wave" of the Voodoo Doll also works on beings such as Stone Gargoyles and Phantasms (evil spirits) IIRC, and the Life Leech has multiple means of attacking souls.

How fast does Raziel's regen work?

Raziel doesn't regen in the Material Realm unless he consume souls. When his body is destroyed or Raziel is to weak to support it, he will vanish to the Spectral Realm, a parallel world to the material or physical one where the souls, ghosts, wraiths and sluaght inhabit. In there, he can't be destroyed in the conventional mean, and he regen constantly.

So, if his body is destroyed by Caleb, he will appears in the Spectral Realm, he will possesses a corps, and re-appears in the Material Realm. He doesn't possesses any notable resistence to soul manipulation, but in universe, the only weapon capable to "kill" him is the Reaver.

Well, the consumption of Caleb's soul is probably not going to fly, given the function of his Spirit Armour on top of his own natural soul resistance. Depending on the mechanics though, the corpse possession could serve as an effective means of staying alive. (The battlefield I chose happens to contain a cemetery. Lucky us.)

May need to elaborate on how the Reaver works, since I can't really tell what all it does from the profile. And from what I'm looking at, it seems like his Low-Godly requires him to be capable of travelling as a soul, so Soul Manip could probably put an end to that before it begins.

Soul attacks can indeed harm Raziel, but weakens enough, he can just travel to the Spectral Realm and recovery, ins't the first time that Raziel fight creatures that devour gradually his soul. That is just case that Raziel can't stop the attack, not sure how the attack works.

He isn't exactly a travelling soul, like a typical ghost or spirit in torment, he will vanish to a realm that can't interact with the physical realm, where water is mist, walls are insubtantial and time works differently.

Has he resisted attacks which can steal the soul in one go? The Life Leech is capable of this with its Sentry mode. (Although it does need to hit its victims, it has surprisingly good aim) And can he take direct damage to his soul without dying from it?

There's nothing that suggest that Raziel can support a soul sealing, that depend more of the nature of the technic, if in that verse has some limitations against someone. If that someone has common characterist with Raziel, is possible that Raziel can support it.

He can be damaged, but if he feels to weak to contain his physical form, he will vanish. In SR1, if a vampire wraith absorb a considerable amount of Raziel soul, he vanish to the Spectral Realm.

Well, Phantasms in-game are evil spirits who're resistant to magical weaponry, but I always took that to mean they themselves were resistant to magical attacks rather than said attacks simply being ineffective against beings of their type. Part of why I say that is because in Blood 2, they're replaced with the Death Shrouds, who have all of their defining characteristics, but completely lack the magic resistance.

So he ca survive soul damage to an extent, then. That should help him against the Life Leech's main fire mode, though much less so for the Sentry mode.

In theory, yes, Raziel can still be soul damaged and be sealed, but not with ease.

Now let me analize what can Raziel do now: It seems that Raziel is physically stronger, I even would say that he is no match, guy can just rely in hax and weapons. Any resistence that involve telekinesis, cryokinesis, stoning and sound? According to his profile he can't deflect fire attacks.

I'm also omitting the Spirit Reaver from the match, otherwise it will be a mismatch.

Reflective Shots can't reflect fire or soul attacks, true, but the majority of magic and fire-based projectiles/offenses would be weakened severely by his Fire & Spirit Armour. These defenses worked on attacks from Tchernobog, who was exponentially more powerful than Caleb is with any weapon and had nothing but fire/explosive attacks in his arsenal.

Probably can't say he resists being turned to stone for a limited time, since nobody does that in his game. Not sure about sound either, but that would depend on whether or not there are non-physical properties to whatever sound attacks Raziel has.

He also has the Death Mask which makes him (effectively) invulnerable in all major areas, including against fire and spirit attacks. Only lasts for a short time before the effects wear off, though.

EDIT: I also just now noticed what the Soul Reaver does. Probably best to restrict that, yeah.

Welp, stoning is just temporal, and the sound manipulation is just stunning, similar way fight light wraith. Actually Raziel haven't the Soul Reaver, he has the Wraith Blade (the soul of the weapon), it hasn't all the powers of the Reaver, it only gives additional elemental powers, the blade is just as efficient as the Reaver in the Spectral Realm.

The Wraith Blade gives him stronger elemental attacks? Or does it simply give him a few extra ones?

Also, is he capable of attacking people while he's in the Spectral Realm? Or does he need to be in possession of a body for that?

The Wraith Blade gives him elemental powers and enhance the telekinetic ones, that and the extra powers like blinding, stunning and invisibility. Without the blade Raziel still has fire power (besides the normal ones), but only via the glyph.

No, wraiths are incapable to interact with the Material Realm while there are in the Spectral Realm, only 4 beings in the serie, some classes of demons and an armor exist in both realms at the same time.

Ah. So it's an amp for his TK and the source of his elemental abilities. Gotcha.

And yeah, that seems to make sense, but I wanted to make sure. I haven't actually gotten the chance to play the Legacy of Kain games. (They're actually on my list of old titles to try, though) better to know for sure what the limits are on things.

Anywho, have you decided on a vote yet?

I was making sure of Caleb abilities before giving my vote. For now: Caleb win in arsenal, range and soul abilities, meanwhile Raziel wins in shear force, regen and powers.

Caleb is no match for Raziel in close combat, besides being stronger, Raziel has 1000 years fighting has lieutenant of Kain. Caleb's armor would protect him against the wraith blade, but not for much. In the other hand, meanwhile Caleb stay away from Raziel he will have the advantage with numerous ranged weapons, Raziel can use telekinesis to bring Caleb to him, but Caleb have voodoo dolls, so could be either way.

However, Caleb have little ways to permanently kill Raziel, since if he ins't sealed or his soul is destroyed at time, he will return to the Spectral Realm and then return recovered.

Although not for much, Raziel has the advantage, so going to vote for him for now; my vote can change if someone made a better argument than mines or bring another points to change the vote to either Caleb or inconclusive.

Alright then, I'll add your vote for now. Solid reasoning, btw. I'd actually agree that Raziel thrashes Caleb in a melee fight, since the latter's expertise is mostly in guns and artifacts. (He's not bad at melee. Just doesn't have any formal training.)

I dunno if anyone else is going to show up and defend Caleb though, tbh. Blood is a long-dead franchise, and I'm the one who made the profile.

... And I'm the only one who made LoK, so I also doubt that someone will defend Raziel too, its also a dead franchise I blame Nosgoth for that.

Weak.

Well, I do still plan on buying the games once I'm not ******* broke when I have more of a disposable income, so there's that at least. The stuff you described seems interesting too, so that's more of a reason to try them out.

Still...

This maybe be off topic, but you don't need to buy them, just use an emulator for PS, you can at least play the classics there with (personally) better gameplay. The hot stuff happen in SR2 tho.

Eh. I actually still own a PS2, and I personally like owning hard copies of my games if I can help it. I only really use emulators for games that've gotten too expensive to buy.

Back