• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

But doesn't joker's power only work on the cognitive world?

Sure, that's why he totally didn't bring Morgana back in P5 and its totally never explained by Maruki that one's perception can change the universe

I believe it’s explained at some point that persona users can summon their powers in the real world so long as they have enough willpower. Hell, the cast of P3 is able to summon their Personas wherever they want through the use of their evokers.

At the end of the OG P5, Morgana actively states that there is no “real world” and that everything is a product of cognition.

I thought something was up. Could use more explanation. I'm pretty sure there's a valid reason to use Joker despite those conditions.

If you think that's enough explanation. I only just found this out because I'm in an argument where someone thinks Joker can't use his powers in the real world

It really seems that, to a extent, it comes down to the user. More specifically, it comes down to what the user believes.
As we all know, Persona's and the World are both products of cognition. As such, it stands to reason that one's usage of a Persona is, for the most part, limited only by one's cognition.
Ergo, if, say, the Persona 4 cast does not believe that they can use their Persona's in the Real world, then they will not be able to use them in that setting. Inversely, the Persona 3 cast should, for the most part, see no problem's with them being able to use Persona's in the real world, Ergo, they likely would be able to.

The matter of a Persona User being allowed to use or not use their Persona in the real world all comes down to cognition- Much like other concepts we've seen, wherein enough people may believe one thing is real, ergo, it becomes real, such as The Rumors in Persona 2 (Surprised I'd ever find a way to reference the game that I'd actually understand), or in a more recent case where the inverse idea is applied, when Yaldabaoth uses the masses, twisting their cognition to erase the PT's- When enough people believe something isn't real or can't occur, it stands to reason that following this logic, that thing would cease to be or cease to possibly occur.
Hence, if The Investigation Team believe that outside The Shadow World in the TV, they can't use their Persona's, of course they'll be limited to just a group of teenagers. The same would apply to Joker- It would all revolve around his mentality. And while he is arguably on the higher end of understanding in the group when it comes to cognition, not to offend him or other's who understand cognition in the game well such as Futaba, but, it seems that it never crosses the mind's of any of the Phantom Thieves that they could use their Persona's in the real world.

Of course, this could be somewhat or even massively incorrect/wrong/misguided, etc. etc., but that is what the Series and the breadcrumbs it leaves has guided me to seeing- That Persona's and The World are made of Cognition, and that through said cognition is what determines if one can or cannot use their power- If they believe they can, they can. If they believe they cannot, they cannot.

Regardless though, I would like to remind people- As there are certainly going to be a few of those who will try to use this as a means to have Persona User's be relegated to a bunch of powerless teens- That for the means of the VS Battles on this site, it is assumed that said character's are in a state mentally and physically where they can use their abilities, anyways. So regardless of if Ren is only effective in The Metaverse, he will still be using those power's in Vs Debates, as there would be little to no other reason to have him in Vs Debates.

Regardless though, I would like to remind people- As there are certainly going to be a few of those who will try to use this as a means to have Persona User's be relegated to a bunch of powerless teens- That for the means of the VS Battles on this site, it is assumed that said character's are in a state mentally and physically where they can use their abilities, anyways. So regardless of if Ren is only effective in The Metaverse, he will still be using those power's in Vs Debates, as there would be little to no other reason to have him in Vs Debates.
Ren has a real speed feat without his personas in the real world + third eye he should get a key for without his persona being used tbh

^^^As others have said before, verse-equalization would allow for Ren (or any Persona user from the "modern" games, for that matter) utilize their abilities in situations where they'd usually be unable to. There's also the in-lore explanation as to how Persona users can potentially use their Personas in the real world, and between those two points, there's not really any reason to question the logistics behind a certain character using an ability in a certain location.

Ren has a real speed feat without his personas in the real world + third eye he should get a key for without his persona being used tbh
I wouldn't be against "real world" keys for Persona users, assuming there's enough information to fully create them.

Back