• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bullets/Projectiles related to Shearing?

I was wondering, with Shear Stress being the deformation of a material across a plane or surface of something, do items such as bullets or other physical projectiles follow that type of component or force?

Don't bullets and other similar projectiles mostly exploit surface area with extreme pressures and piercing damage, and the shockwave they leave behind inside the flesh?

Don't bullets and other similar projectiles mostly exploit surface area with extreme pressures and piercing damage, and the shockwave they leave behind inside the flesh?
I guess, but I'd assume that pressure comes from stress and strain of a bullet piercing a target that causes deformation of the material

Well, AFAIK, shear stress is sliding failure, but bullets pierce through which would be sort of akin to a bullet pressing in the material, closest thing I can compare it to is compressive strength but it's rapid impact so uh...

Well, AFAIK, shear stress is sliding failure, but bullets pierce through which would be sort of akin to a bullet pressing in the material, closest thing I can compare it to is compressive strength but it's rapid impact so uh...
yeah, it is difficult to assess if it is compression when it happens on one point.

I think I found something that may describe what a Bullet does

actually, looking at this calc here where loid punches a table that has shear strength, this could be akin to what I am talking about with a bullet being shear strength/stress usage.

Eh, no.

Piercing damage doesn't work this way. Piercing damage is about focusing all that power of a cartridge into a small surface area for maximum efficiency.

Normal shear strength however, is just sliding failure when an object fails in shear.

Frag uses shearing strength, violent frag uses high-end shear strength to low-end compressive strength, and pulverization uses high-end compressive strength.

Last edited:
Eh, no.

Piercing damage doesn't work this way. Piercing damage is about focusing all that power of a cartridge into a small surface area for maximum efficiency.

Normal shear strength however, is just sliding failure when an object fails in shear.

Frag uses shearing strength, violent frag uses high-end shear strength to low-end compressive strength, and pulverization uses high-end compressive strength.
oh, I meant to say Shear Stress, not shear strength, which is the force that causes the material to deform, and even though it has piercing power, bullets can cause items to deform as well.

oh, I meant to say Shear Stress, not shear strength, which is the force that causes the material to deform, and even though it has piercing power, bullets can cause items to deform as well.
Wouldn't that normally be yield strength? The strength a material can take before plastically deforming but not failing? Kinda akin to denting.

Wouldn't that normally be yield strength? The strength a material can take before plastically deforming but not failing? Kinda akin to denting.
perhaps, it is for a sniper weapon which is describe to shear away a target molecule and molecule, it's bullets are made of iridium cores that makes them armor piercing. someone claims that it is just poetic stuff.

Back