• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Bleach Profiles

VenomElite

VS Battles
Retired
Since we already had a discussion about "plagairizing" other wikis, we need to do something about our Bleach profiles. The attacks/descriptions are ripped straight out of Bleach Wikia. The most obvious Ichigo's page, the entire notable attacks/techniques section is directly from Bleach wiki's Powers and Abilities section.

I do not personally mind listing attack names copied from other wikis so much. I mean, what else are we going to call them?

It's not the attack names, it's literally the entire attacks / techniques section. All the descriptive text. The images. Everything.

If no one can rewrite these profiles, we can at the very least explicity and blatantly credit the Bleach Wiki at that section.

EDIT: If Reppuzan could do so, that would of course be greatly appreciated.

I'd rewrite them but I'm not comfortable trying to explain them in English. Repp is still away, unless someone else can do it.

Well, if we're not going to give credit to the Bleach wiki, it's still better than nothing. Besides, someone else can correct any possible grammatical errors and stuff like that.

@Ryu

It also doesn't help that we generally copy everything with little rhyme or reason, such as copying "Immense Strength" or "Immense Spiritual Pressure" even though they have little actual bearing on our profiles.

This has also been an issue on our Naruto, One Piece, Nanatsu no Taizai, and Dragon Ball pages, among others.

I'll start when I have the time (which will likely be after I return from my trip).

@Reppuzan That's always bothered me too. People copying things from other wikis that clearly don't align with how we characterize powers and such.

The plagiarism was also an issue on the KLK profiles that I didn't create, but I fixed those since. I think Prom also helped fix that with some FotNS pages.

Thank you very much. That'll be greatly appreciate.

Well, as others mentioned, we could simply give credit to the Bleach wiki in our verse page in the meantime.

Okay. Feel free to include a linked credit to the Bleach wiki in the verse page.

Edit during writing: just looked at the focus of the thread and realized that what I wrote is kinda irrelavent, but still putting it down so people can have this in mind while rewriting profiles. TDLR of below: 2 problems of current profiles (for some popular ones) is that they're literal walls of text and finding what you want is either time consuming or downright impossible. Proposed solutions will be in a followup post.

Now please keep in mind of my ignorance when reading the below text.

Funny that you mention this, I was having the exact same thought. Reppuzan's examples took the words right out of my mouth.

So it boils down to 2 things (that I can currently think of): a Wall of Text and a classical 'needle in the haystack' problem.

The Wall of Text is kinda unavoidable in the sense that for this wikia, cataloguing all of the data is a must - which makes some solutions impractical. (like say, deleting everything not related to the 'modern' version of the character)

That being said, looking at a long list of moves or abilities gets boring really fast.

The needle in the haystack problem is a more specific part of the above: if you're trying to find, say, Goku's stats during the Sayian saga, right now you'd have to:

1) quickly glance at everything and realize that picking out what you want will either be practically impossible or take a literal hour

2) scroll to the bottom of the page to identify which part of everything is what you want

3) scroll back through everything, trying to pick out which part is what you want, potentially getting headaches from flipping from the top of the page to the bottom repeatedly

4) ragequit when you realize that certain parts of the article don't have the convient 'at this point the character could do this' marker; namely the 'Powers and Abilites' section and possibly the Notable Attacks/Techniques section, depending on the article you're looking at.

So yeah, this is quite the problem, especially for large series.

Now that I'm keeping in mind the plagarism problem:

as far as I can understand, the short-term solution is just giving respective wikias credit while the long-term solution is rewriting the problematic parts. This I support; especially considering that in some cases the copied articles seriously misrepresent the facts of a character.

I'm also suggesting that while making the revisions to try to cut down on the wall of text by putting their respective stats, moves and additional/changes-of abilities all in a tabber, much like profile pics of characters at a certain point of time. That way, if you want something like Naruto directly after the timeskip, you can simply click on that part and all of what he's capable of is on one clean, simple page.

Thoughts?

We are not going to start organising the profile texts into tabbers. It would contradict our regular format and require a massive amount of revision work for no gain.

People are free to browse through the page to the parts that they are interested in. Our profiles are generally very brief compared to the Anime Characters Fight wiki, for example.

So, is any staff member willing to include a credit to the Bleach wiki into the verse page?

Okay. Thanks. Should we close this thread then?

Back