• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Black belt and skill feats

Basically why is having a black belt being considered as a justification to being a master martial artist.

I don’t know if we are setting the bar really low or… I’m just confused? IRL people can just get black belts by learning the basics and coming to class for a good chunk of time.

Yes it is a major accomplishment and shows dedication but a black belt is no indication of a master martial artist

Basically why is having a black belt being considered as a justification to being a master martial artist.

I don’t know if we are setting the bar really low or… I’m just confused? IRL people can just get black belts by learning the basics and coming to class for a good chunk of time.

Yes it is a major accomplishment and shows dedication but a black belt is no indication of a master martial artist
I mean, when I was a kid I was in karate for several years and so I can say that something like that isn't easy at all, it need years of dedication and training, along to defeat several opponents of certain level to get one, for example in this point I could talk about how for a year or two (don't remember exactly now) I was in the same belt do to be unable to defeat the opponents of the level needed to pass, in the end I could do it but I needed to improve.

It's impossible? No. It's stupidly hard to get? Probably no, it's pretty hard indeed but with enough dedication one could get it. It's a skill feat? Absolutely, it's a show of dedication, training, hard work, it means a lot, it don't reach the inhuman level of skill that fiction many times show but it still show a good realistic level of skill.

I mean, when I was a kid I was in karate for several years and so I can say that something like that isn't easy at all, it need years of dedication and training, along to defeat several opponents of certain level to get one.
No here’s the thing. You can never compete in your life and get a black belt. That is not a requirement for you to beat several opponents. To just get a black belt.
Not being easy =\= master martial artist.

It's impossible? No. It's stupidly hard to get? Probably no, it's pretty hard indeed but with enough dedication one could get it. It's a skill feat? Absolutely, it's a show of dedication, training, hard work, it means a lot, it don't reach the inhuman level of skill that fiction many times show but it still show a good realistic level of skill.
I’m not even trying to compare to fictional people, a black belt is simply not a way to measure if you are a master martial artist. You are not even close to being considered a master at your art when you get your black belt.

A black belt is prestigious, is it a amazing accomplishment? yes. I myself am trying to work my way up the belts so I’m not acting like it doesn’t mean shit. What I am trying to understand is why does the wiki treat that as enough evidence for being considered a master martial artist.

At McDojos sure
…This is actually a far larger occurrence than you think.

John Danaher even agrees with me… i hope you don’t disagree with that man...if you know who that is. He’s spoken on podcasts about this and that’s why I made this Q/A before I make a crt. Black belts do not = being a master at all and that’s where he said the same thing you just quoted. I’m not spreading false information here a black belt is not an indication of mastery.

I think you all are mistaking this Q/A for something that it is not.

I am not discrediting black belts and the skill needed to get one. What I am saying is any profile with master martial artist on there with just the justification that one has a black belt. Should not be allowed. A single black belt in a martial art does not make you a master of that martial art.

It does mean that you are a martial artist and a pretty skilled one at that, but a master? Hell to the no. And no offense I’m taking a real masters word over people who have taken classes as a kid.

I think you all are mistaking this Q/A for something that it is not.

I am not discrediting black belts and the skill needed to get one. What I am saying is any profile with master martial artist on there with just the justification that one has a black belt. Should not be allowed. A single black belt in a martial art does not make you a master of that martial art.

It does mean that you are a martial artist and a pretty skilled one at that, but a master? Hell to the no. And no offense I’m taking a real masters word over people who have taken classes as a kid.
Just posted your comment before I could post the one I wrote, though it seem you confirmed what I wanted to confirm.

You have a misunderstanding, no many in the wiki (at least from all the profiles and vs that I have saw) actually think that a black belt alone mean be a master of martial arts, that's just used to show that one character indeed have a good/high level of skill, when most of people say master of martial arts it's because said character have other supporting feats that back that claim, like have won several tournaments, be greatly famous in a national/world scale, or direct combat showings.

You have a misunderstanding, no many in the wiki (at least from all the profiles and vs that I have saw) actually think that a black belt alone mean be a master of martial arts, that's just used to show that one character indeed have a good/high level of skill, when most of people say master of martial arts it's because said character have other supporting feats that back that claim, like have won several tournaments, be greatly famous in a national/world scale, or direct combat showings.
No actually I just spotted a profile today that had black belt in Karate for there main justification. With a side justification that actually debunks itself after you watch for 5 seconds when he says he wishes he could have the moves of a master.

I’m not misunderstanding anything i made this Q/A to see if it was just the wiki standards being low or it is just wrong justification on the profile.

No actually I just spotted a profile today that had black belt in Karate for there main justification. With a side justification that actually debunks itself after you watch for 5 seconds when he says he wishes he could have the moves of a master.

I’m not misunderstanding anything i made this Q/A to see if it was just the wiki standards being low or it is just wrong justification on the profile.
The specific profile please? Because that sort of thing should be more in the minority.

I generally agree with this. As someone who has practiced Martial Arts for a significant portion of my life, most schools or forms of martial arts have a rank that denotes Mastery which is almost always higher than black belt.

However fiction is weird as they have "untrained" people beating masters all the time. Not to mention that most fictional Masters perform feats of skill that go beyond the typical RL mastery.

I generally agree with this. As someone who has practiced Martial Arts for a significant portion of my life, most schools or forms of martial arts have a rank that denotes Mastery which is almost always higher than black belt.

However fiction is weird as they have "untrained" people beating masters all the time. Not to mention that most fictional Masters perform feats of skill that go beyond the typical RL mastery.
I mean, even in the karate school I did go there were more beyong the black belt, the sensei for example was ranks higher than black belt, black belt alone it's just a good level of skill, no actual mastery.

Fiction it's fiction, you can't expect much realism from it, futher more it's probably that most of authors don't knoe that there is more beyond the black belt.

Back