• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to say one other thing, if characters commonly look at archers; think or say "oh shit this isn't good at all, we may get hit!" should be disregarded completely if said characters have feats surpassing that to intercept arrows. Which is usually around the subsonic-superhuman range, unless the arrow is like millimetres away which is an extraordinarily rare occurrence. Why? It's because it's entirely possible these characters were not thinking straight at all during the time of the incident, or simply put. Being stupid. Like Polnareff saying he can't intercept light when he clearly did so moments before he stated that.

However, if these characters do indeed get tagged by arrows. Then some investigation should be done to see if feats > intercepting arrows are more common than not.

Also If I am requested to help out with compiling feats, I'll do so.

@AMM: Would we have to look for feats just from the original series, or do we have to look for feats from Legend of Korra as well?

This could take a while...

Lina Shields said:
@AMM: Would we have to look for feats just from the original series, or do we have to look for feats from Legend of Korra as well?
This could take a while...

Anything that can be considered a canon source; yeah I agree, it will most definitely take a while. Therefore, nobody should feel any real obligation to take on this task. Or, if someone can offer alternatives that may be more beneficial and less time-consuming. That would be good.

Well, demanding that people actually watch through all the episodes seems like a bit much. Perhaps there are some previous online resources?

I've been rewatching the series and I got to say Avatar-verse lightning looks slow as hell. To me it looks lightning was moving slower than an arrow or regular fire blast, combustion blasts look like the fastest thing the series to me.

@Lenny: It would be very much appreciated if you are able to find scenes where lightning is moving in comparison with arrows, bullets, or other projectiles within the series.

Considering that most characters in Avatar seem to consider arrows, bullets, and speed of explosions to be a major threat, a projectile moving hundreds of times faster, at minimum would mean that no one in Avatar would be able to see something like that at all.

This should really be revisited. The lightning reaction only happened ONCE, all other times they either grabbed the person by the hand or used their body as a lightning rod. Not to mention that lightning attacks have a considerable wind-up time a.k.a. they are never instantly shot out like other elemental attacks.

https://youtu.be/e2hnas7GSZo?t=2m42s

I'm of the opinion that it should be labeled as an outlier and all speeds be ruturned to their prior state.

Or said speed of Azula's lightning isn't real lightning because you know, it didn't come down from the clouds?

This issue should really be revisited, although I am too lazy to re-watch all of Avatar.

Another thing I mentioned before but am still uncertain about is the speed of a benders bending.

Even if MHS speed in general was possible for the avatar-verse it should only be when they shoot lightning or react to it. The speed of other forms of bending shouldnt be anywhere near as fast, no? For example, lightning bending is the advanced version of fire bending in the avatarverse, just like how bloodbending is >>water bending and metal bending to earth bending. It is a more high level bending style and fire bending should not be on the level of it at all. IIRC, there are times where lightning bending has been compared to fire bending in terms of speed despite how inferior fire bending should be to lightning bending and to add on to this, our rule of scaling benders to and above each other due to the vast differences in their bending styles.

What could we make of this? I might be wrong and im perfectly fine if I am, its just that this has been bothering me and I wanted to discuss it with everyone else.

Well, I do think that there was various proof provided that it works like real lightning, but if there is preparation time to use it, we may be dealing with Aim Dodging, yes. Or it may be an outlier. I am uncertain.

To answer some questions above and stuff:

• No, Korra cannot react to the Spirit Beam, she had to aimdodge it barring the one exception where she was very very far away. IIRC I once calc'd the beam's speed at around Mach 2
  • Aang's best feat is "reacting" to a explosio, the scene makes it clear he is immobile compared to it, although he still lets out his airbending after it goes off

So, what do the rest of the staff think that we should do here?

@LordXCano Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying, apart from 2 aimdodged lightning feats/outliers almost all other feats are supersonic/FTE to be generous

I'd regard avatars MHS speed feat as an outlier as well, as it's stands out completely from the rest of the speed feats calc'd or what's shown in the show.

So, which members think that we should revise the speeds of the Avatar profiles, and what should we change them to instead?

Antvasima said:
So, which members think that we should revise the speeds of the Avatar profiles, and what should we change them to instead?
We should Change them to highest shown calc that's consistent with the series, like the examples xcano posted above

As for who agrees with the revison of speed it's me, Lina, LordX for now

Someone compile all the feats of lightning done by characters in the Avatar series.

We can find the speed of lightning from one of said scenes.

I can't post it here but there's a feat done by Iroh in I believe season one where he reacts to Cloud to Ground Lightning on Zuko's ship during a storm.

Depends on what we get for Iroh's speed for the feat, although from what is shown here, it would seem that Iron was moving before the lightning was coming towards him.

We can still measure Iroh's speed in comparison to the lightning bolt, although no guarantees that it will yield Massively Hypersonic results.

In the episode with Azula chasing Aangs group to where they couldn't get any sleep (I believe it's right after Toph joins them) they along with Zuko and Iroh tried pinning Azula down and beating her in a fight. Azula shot Iroh with fire bending so fast Iroh got hit before he even knew what was going on. And he passed out from it.

I would also appreciate some help with this.

Well, we would have to decide what speed level to revise the characters to, and carry out the changes as well.

So far, we have Hypersonic+ speeds for the

• Water Spirit feat where it moves a bunch of ships (calculated)
  • Lightning (need to calculate)
  • Blocking an explosion (possibly)
I would like to take a closer look at Korra's explosion deflection scene, if it is possible. This is because unlike in real life, speed of explosions do not seem to slow down (via air resistance) according to fiction.

For the water spirit feat, wouldn't that only be with using the oceaan spirit or prep? Its not like Aang can just use it anytime he wants and personally I heavily disagree with scaling people off a feat he did combined with something else one time only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back