• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Arya Stark (Books version) Speed upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arya Stark can catch running cats and dodge their blows:

Catching cats was hard. Her hands were covered with half-healed scratches, and both knees were scabbed over where she had scraped them raw in tumbles. At first even the cook's huge fat kitchen cat had been able to elude her, but Syrio had kept her at it day and night. When she'd run to him with her hands bleeding, he had said, "So slow? Be quicker, girl. Your enemies will give you more than scratches." [...] Then he sent her out after more cats. The Red Keep was full of cats: lazy old cats dozing in the sun, cold eyed mousers twitching their tails, quick little kittens with claws like needles, ladies' cats all combed and trusting, ragged shadows prowling the midden heaps. One by one Arya had chased them down and snatched them up and brought them proudly to Syrio Forel... all but this one, this one-eared black devil of a tomcat [...] Now at last she had him. High walls pressed close on either side, and ahead was a blank windowless mass of stone. Quiet as a shadow, she repeated, sliding forward, light as a feather. When she was three steps away from him, the tomcat bolted. Left, then right, he went; and right, then left, went Arya, cutting off his escape. He hissed again and tried to dart between her legs. Quick as a snake, she thought. Her hands closed around him. She hugged him to her chest, whirling and laughing aloud as his claws raked at the front of her leather jerkin. Ever so fast, she kissed him right between the eyes, and jerked her head back an instant before his claws would have found her face.

Cats have an average running speed of 20 - 25 mph, with speed reaching 30 mph for the fastest cats.
Arya's combat and reaction speed should be at least Athletic Human.

Last edited:
Domestic cats seem to have a different speed stat.
Superhuman speed is the maximum speed, it is not the average speed of all cats, that is the reason why I give Athletic Human at least.

For the cat's subsonic I'm not sure if it's really about his reaction speed or if it's just about his perception speed, so I don't know if scaling with Arya's combat and reaction speed would be correct

According to the Domestic Cat page, the speed you gave for running cats & the official page for speed, "At least Athletic Human, likely Superhuman" would fit since Arya Stark should be on par with the cats in terms of combat speed, but slower than their reaction speed.

As for the peak human from references for common feats technically being subsonic & peak human at the same time, it needs to be updated. In the meantime, use my suggestion I gave in the previous paragraph.

According to the Domestic Cat page, the speed you gave for running cats & the official page for speed, "At least Athletic Human, likely Superhuman" would fit since Arya Stark should be on par with the cats in terms of combat speed, but slower than their reaction speed.

As for the peak human from references for common feats technically being subsonic & peak human at the same time, it needs to be updated. In the meantime, use my suggestion I gave in the previous paragraph.
Thank you for this input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back