• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Are profiles for historical figures allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No vampire hunting Abraham Lincoln unfortunately

Only mythical/legendary figures are permitted (and even then it's rather iffy, pretty much all figures receiving any veneration/worship even on a small scale within small revived and endangered religions are excluded, profile for Helenic mythical canon Heracles never), as well as fictionalized historical figures that are significantly distinct from their real-world inspiration (hence no profiles for, say, Donald Trump as he appears in WWE or Family Guy)

For real one's no. For TV show/movies/comic book/story book versions of them it's generally case by case.

I'd imagine it'd also be very difficult and controversial deciding their things too since historians in themself dont seem to be able to agree with eachother most of the time.

Only mythical/legendary figures are permitted (and even then it's rather iffy, pretty much all figures receiving any veneration/worship even on a small scale within small revived and endangered religions are excluded, profile for Helenic mythical canon Heracles never), as well as fictionalized historical figures that are significantly distinct from their real-world inspiration (hence no profiles for, say, Donald Trump as he appears in WWE or Family Guy)
For real one's no. For TV show/movies/comic book/story book versions of them it's generally case by case.
Yes, but why would it be controversial to have pages for the historical figures I cited above and others similar? I understand that making profiles for some historical figures would be controversial but for samurai or spartans who died hundreds or thousands ago where is the problem?

where is the problem?
They're still real, just ancient. We have to draw the line somewhere I'd assume, and being a real person seems to be it.

Plus, I can't imagine it'd be easy to verify certain feats. Someone may have hyped up their favorite samurai back in the day by saying they bit through a man's leg bone or something, and whether or not he did is something we can't verify

It is really controversial if Leonidas, William Marshal and Miyamoto Musashi have profiles?
Yeah kinda. Miyamoto Musashi is a highly influential historical figure, created disciplines of martial arts that are still in practice, and made philosophical works that are still read and relevant to this day. William Marshal is in a similar position, having a vast legacy as a warrior and statesman, and thusly as a national hero of England. He also ensured that Magna Carta wasn't abolished, which had huge ramifications going forward in history as it was a cornerstone legal premise that posited that royalty are not above the law.
Truth of the matter is, these are people who are venerated to some degree to this very day, whose names command respect. If we were to have profiles of them on this wiki, thus making it possible for us to put them in match-ups where they end up getting victimized by Sans or The Rock or Heisenberg or a Minecraft pig, then it's liable to come across as immensely disrespectful and possibly cause a lot of flak that we could've avoided by simply not powerscaling real people.

Yes, but why would it be controversial to have pages for the historical figures I cited above and others similar? I understand that making profiles for some historical figures would be controversial but for samurai or spartans who died hundreds or thousands ago where is the problem?
We don't pick and choose which people to ban profiles for and which ones to not. We simply don't allow any profiles of real life people. Otherwise we'd get into a mess of cherrypicking

That's how it is, and chances are, that's how it'll always be

There’s nothing to bump. The question has been answered. Profiles of historical, real life figures are not allowed, full-stop

IDK why you're pressing the question when it's already been answered, regardless of whether you think it was adequately answered or not. I'll ask a thread mod to shut it down.

@KingTempest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back