• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shadowbokunohero

VS Battles
Content Moderator
* Clone Wars Season 6 Anakin
* Clone Wars Darth Maul
*Speed is =
*Both are in Character
*Battle takes place on Mustafar
*Canon versions.

4456015-anakin%20vs%20maul.png

Anakin fought toe to toe with Obi Wan and Obi Wan defeated Maul as a padawan so Anakin wins

Personally, I'm leaning towards Anakin due to Maul's unhinged mindset. He is way too filled with rage when fighting and it always hurts him, like in his first and last fights with Obi.

Anakin absolutely is arrogant, but he is also a tactical genius and will take the fight at least somewhat seriously (or maybe even start off angry, giving him a dark side amp) because he's fighting Qui-gon's murderer.

Physical attributes: Anakin is almost at his RoTS peak. While Maul relies on prosthetics and is much older.

Lightsaber skills: A bit tougher. I would say that they are roughly equal, at least to me based on their fights. Anakin may have the edge due to being able to compete with Dooku, but dooku was practically jobbing all the time.

Force abilities: It's anakin skywalker.

Overall, a decisive victory for Anakin but not a stomp.

I find myself agreeing with Abu here.

I'd give Anakin the victory as well.

In terms of physicality, well refer my response to Abu below.

In terms of lightsaber skills, I'd actually give Anakin a slight edge. When he was a Padawan, he built a training droid that mimicked Maul's fighting style (never stated, but probably from security feeds on Naboo and descriptions of his style by Obi-Wan) and trained against it constantly. On top of that he was able to outfence freaking Dooku.

Maul uses Form VII as opposed to Anakin's Form IV/V hybrid. But I do believe Anakin has what it takes to counter Maul in time, especially given that he can overwhelm other noted duelists that use adaptable/hybrid styles that have overcome their respective typical weaknesses (such as Ventress and even Dooku). Maul probably has a decisive edge in hand-to-hand combat though, given his mastery of Teras Kasi.

In terms of Force abilities, I'd give Anakin the edge. Like Maul he uses rage power amps and also uses the Force like a blunt instrument. But he has also shown more tactical and delicate uses of the Force than Maul ever has. The power difference between TCW S6 Anakin and TCW Maul is probably negligible, even if Anakin would have a slight edge.

Anakin has also shown great tactical acumen. And he is not above using certain dirty tricks to win. Maul actually finds such things distasteful and unbecoming of a warrior; even if he'd resort to such out of just sheer desperation, Anakin is more inclined to fighting dirty normally (especially if angered).

I say Anakin would win. But it'd be with extreme difficulty. Maul is not an easy to put down character.

Anakin fought toe to toe with Obi Wan and Obi Wan defeated Maul as a padawan so Anakin wins
Yeah, that A>B>C logic doesn't work in Star Wars. By this logic, Kenobi should be able to beat Dooku but he just can't. It's more of a Paper > Scissors > Rock situation, as Shadow Senpai explained.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Anakin due to Maul's unhinged mindset. He is way too filled with rage when fighting and it always hurts him, like in his first and last fights with Obi.

Anakin absolutely is arrogant, but he is also a tactical genius and will take the fight at least somewhat seriously (or maybe even start off angry, giving him a dark side amp) because he's fighting Qui-gon's murderer.

Physical attributes: Anakin is almost at his RoTS peak. While Maul relies on prosthetics and is much older.

Lightsaber skills: A bit tougher. I would say that they are roughly equal, at least to me based on their fights. Anakin may have the edge due to being able to compete with Dooku, but dooku was practically jobbing all the time.

Force abilities: It's anakin skywalker.

Overall, a decisive victory for Anakin but not a stomp.
In terms of physicality, I'd actually argue they're qual. They both have shown comparable levels of physical strength and agility, as well as comparable levels of pain tolerance and stamina. Hell, I'd argue that Maul may actually have a slight edge in pain tolerance and stamina due to his Zabrak biology; already naturally high pain tolerance and inhuman stamina due to two hearts being further amped by the Force.

The relatively more advanced age of Maul is not at all a factor here. Neither are his cybernetics. They have never proven an impediment to Maul. They did on just one occasion, but that wasn't in a lightsaber duel.

I'm with Soldier_blue.

I think Maul has a chance but Anakin takes it in a well fought fight.

Skyguy FRA

Bump. Maul roflstomps hard. (Also sorry for the shit formatting in advance, first post).

Maul as of TPM is confirmed to be a peer of RotS Dooku and RotJ Vader in raw Force power by George Lucas:

"From then on, he wasn't as strong as the Emperor – he was like Darth Maul or Count Dooku. He wasn't what he was supposed to become. But the son could become that."

Source:
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-lucas-and-the-cult-of-darth-vader-20050602

Keep in mind, this statement is only referring to raw Force power, TPM Maul should be far above Dooku as far as physicals are concerned given his youth, training, and Zabrak heritage. Basically he's the same as RotS Jedi Anakin: close in power to Dooku (Maul is actually stated to be above Dooku in Force power per Beware the Sith) but vastly superior in physicals.

Dooku should have a skill/knowledge advantage over Anakin/Maul, but given how many accolades both of these young men have, it's nowhere near as large as their physical advantage.

So overall I would put TPM Maul>RotS Dooku. And we already know RotS Jedi Anakin is>RotS Dooku from the novel.

Lucas' statement is further supported by source material such as a TCW magazine which states that Darth Vader and Season 4 TCW Maul are evenly matched, despite Filoni confirming Season 4 Maul is weaker than TPM Maul:

It's a close call, and these two Sith are well-matched in terms of fighting skills.

Source:
Star Wars Comic UK Volume 07 Issue 04

IGN: With Maul, I felt it was a bit like you approached Boba Fett. Maul got rebuilt, he got back his sanity and focus – but he still wasn't quite Phantom Menace Maul, flipping all over the place – and he didn't have a double-sided lightsaber. Was that something else where you thought, "He can't just instantly be that badass again"?

Filoni: Definitely. In my opinion, he did really well for being out of the business for about ten years. To come back in and take down Obi-Wan, leaping around on velociraptor legs, he did pretty good. It's an interesting dilemma having him on these weird legs, because he can't instantly fight in the style that you remember Maul fighting in. So Sam really had to bring it through voice and through expression of animation in the face. But there's some twists coming up for Maul, that's for sure. He's far more cunning and well-trained in how to be a Sith than people think. He's not just all about being an enforcer. He got a good education from his master, and we're going to put that into effect next season for sure.

Source:
Star Wars The Clone Wars - Looking Back at Season 4

This alone proves that Maul beats Anakin, since TCW Maul>TPM Maul and TPM Maul>RotS Dooku and RotS Dooku>S6 Anakin. But I want to hammer this point home and show how much Maul grew from TPM to TCW.

Grievous during RotS is stated to be inferior to past villains by George Lucas, those past villains logically being Maul and Dooku:

“One of the big issues behind Grievous was that… I didn’t want a big powerful villain. I wanted a cunning, you know, almost cowardly villain who isn’t super-strong or super-powerful, but at the same time, you know, is a good fighter, but not- I didn’t wanna get somebody bigger and stronger and more powerful than the other villains that we’ve had, going to the next level."

Source:
George Lucas, Revenge of the Sith DVD commentary

While Dooku and Maul are ahead of Grievous, they are not ahead by much, given Grievous is capable of stalemating LoE non-Vaapad Windu, hard pressing Dooku in spars, and overwhelming RotS Kenobi's Soresu prior to his amp:

Without pausing, Grievous drew two lightsabers from inside his billowing cloak. By the time they were ignited, Mace was already on and all over the cyborg, batting away at the two blades, swinging low at Grievous's artificial legs, thrusting at his skeletal face.

The lightsabers thrummed and hissed, meeting one another in bursts of dazzling light. In a corner of Mace's mind he wondered to which Jedi Grievous's blades had belonged. Just as the Force was keeping Mace from being blown from the mag-lev's roof, magnetism of some sort was keeping the general fastened in place. For the cyborg, though, the coherence hindered as much as it helped, whereas Mace never remained in one place for very long. Again and again the three blades joined, in snarling attacks and parries.

As Mace already knew from Ki-Adi-Mundi and Shaak Ti, Grievous was well trained in the Jedi arts. He could recognize the hand of Dooku in the general's training and technique. His strikes were as forceful as any Mace had ever had to counter, and his speed was astonishing.

But he didn't know Vaapad-the technique of dark flirtation in which Mace excelled.

-

The loss of his confederates was noted by whatever computers were slaved to Grievous's organic brain, but the loss neither distracted nor slowed him. His sole setting was
attack. Successful at analyzing Mace's lightsaber style, those same computers suggested that Grievous alter his stance and posture, along with the angle of his parries, ripostes, and thrusts.

The result wasn't Vaapad, but it was close enough, and Mace wasn't interested in prolonging the contest any longer than necessary.

Crouching low, he angled the blade downward and slashed, guiding it through the roof of the car, perpendicular to Grievous's stalwart advance.

Source: Labyrinth of Evil

Grievous had been a delight to train, as well. No need to coax him to release his anger and rage, as Dooku had been forced to do during the training of his so-called Dark Jedi disciples. The Geonosians had arranged for Grievous to be nothing but anger and rage. And as to the general’s combat skills, few, if any, Jedi would be capable of defeating him. There had been moments during the extensive combat sessions when even Dooku had been hard-pressed to outduel the cyborg.

But then, Dooku had kept some secrets to himself.

Just in case.

Source: Labyrinth of Evil

(Note: This is extremely impressive because this is only in a spar. A spar is a test of skill rather than physical ability, meaning both Dooku and Grievous are holding back there physicals, which logically would hinder Grievous much more than Dooku. Grievous basically hardpressed Dooku solely with his skill which is insane.)

Grievous, snarling fury, ramped up the intensity and velocity of his attacks - sixteen per second, eighteen - until finally, at twenty strikes per second, he overloaded Obi-Wan's defense.

Source: Revenge of the Sith Novelization

So Grievous is very much capable of putting up a fight vs TPM Maul/ROTS Dooku and is in the same tier, evidenced by his literal fight with Dooku, though he is slightly inferior.

However, Maul as of Son of Dathomir, his strongest incarnation, is capable of easily outdueling General Grievous:

Dooku was possessed by Talzin and fought Sidious, while Maul easily drove Grievous away.

Source: The Official Star Wars Fact File Remake #070

That means Maul grew from being slightly above Grievous in TPM, to being a stomp gap above him in his prime (SoD), which also means he would be a stomp gap above other characters in Grievous' tier such as RotS Dooku, RotS Jedi Anakin, RotS Kenobi, RotS non-Vaapad Windu, and his TPM self.

Here are statements for Maul's growth throughout TCW as well:

"Hatred is a hard thing to kill. Darth Maul is a being consumed by hatred. I imagine this hatred -- this rage -- fueled him and kept him alive... and somewhere, somehow, that rage grew. As hard as it is to comprehend, padawan, coming back from near death may have made the Sith Lord stronger... and even more dangerous.”

Source: Darth Maul - Death Sentence

Savage Opress: "You have grown so powerful.”

Source: The Clone Wars - Season 5 Episode 1 Revival & Darth Maul - Shadow Conspiracy

Savage was right. Maul’s power was growing, because he had a purpose again, and a vision.

Source: Darth Maul Shadow Conspiracy

Obi-Wan didn’t know where the Sith had spent the long years since he’d tumbled down the shaft of the Theed generator core, and he couldn’t imagine what Maul had been doing. But whatever it was, Maul was stronger with the Force than he’d been - stronger, but also colder and more determined.

Source: Darth Maul - Shadow Conspiracy

Maul had grown more powerful since the last time he'd been in Sidious's presence, before the Neimoidian invasion of Naboo had turned disastrous and Obi-Wan had bested him inside the Theed power core. His hermitage on Lotho Minor, his lessons on Umbara, his restoration by Mother Talzin, and his training of Savage had all strengthened him, made him a more worthy vessel for the dark side to fill with its power.

Source: Darth Maul Shadow Conspiracy

Since Anakin is stated to have grown vastly post season 6 (per starwars.com), and RotS Jedi Anakin is still a stomp gap below SoD Maul, Season 6 Anakin stands absolutely zero chance. The only version of Anakin that has a chance at winning (and does win since he's confirmed equal to Sidious) is RotS Vader, otherwise known as Knightfall Vader.

All of this information comes from my blog here:

EDIT: Didn't realize this was Canon and not Legends. Regardless, Maul still stomps via being capable of diminishing Vader during Rebels per Filoni:

"The nerd-tacular obsession with Vader vs. Maul. It’s hard to say – I mean, Vader is hard to top. Something George is pretty adamant of all the time was that Vader, you know… You never want to do anything to diminish him."

Source:
https://www.christianpost.com/trend...ws-ep-talks-about-darth-maul-darth-vader.html

And Rebels Maul is also confirmed to be post-prime by Matt Martin:

7639762-maul6.jpg

And as everybody knows, Rebels Vader is far, far above Season 6 Anakin.

Basically, the scaling we get is:

SoD Maul>Rebels Maul~Rebels Vader>>>S6 Anakin.

Last edited:
Anakin FRA
Anakin FRA.
I'm with Soldier_blue.

Skyguy FRA
I'm with Soldier_blue.

Skyguy FRA
Reasoning? Maul scales over Anakin in canon and even more so in legends.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/hellothere5432/blog/the-power-of-darth-maul-legends/159377/

Back