• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Alternate Canon Profiles / Keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What specifically do you wish to change in the instruction page then?

Basically this line:

"If the alternate non-canonical version of a character is notable enough in the sense of being different, containing their own feats, a different role and purpose, and a new design, then it is possible that profiles for them can be created."

Has been changed to:

"If the alternate non-canonical version of a character is notable enough in the sense of being different, containing their own feats, a different role and purpose, or a new design, then it is possible that profiles for them can be created."

The and became an or, as before it gave the idea that you needed all three criteria together together to be accepted.

Well, the problem with that is that an identical character with a new design should not be enough to get their own profile.

The crucial parts are that a different role and purpose and their own feats are necessary to create a new profile.

Perhaps something like this?

"If the alternate non-canonical version of a character is notable enough in the sense of having their own feats, and a different role and purpose, then it is possible that profiles for them can be created."

Antvasima said:
Well, the problem with that is that an identical character with a new design should not be enough to get their own profile.
The crucial parts are that a different role and purpose and their own feats are necessary to create a new profile.
Oh yes, I agree.

Antvasima said:
Perhaps something like this?
"If the alternate non-canonical version of a character is notable enough in the sense of having their own feats, and a different role and purpose, then it is possible that profiles for them can be created."
yes. The design just seems not much sense.

Okay. We seem to have reached an agreement then.

Are the other participants in this thread fine with this?

I like the last explanation best. It would allow profiles for characters such as Q (Star Trek) (Non Canon) etc to be created under the premise of them being sufficiently different from the main canon.

Well, there are still some other regulations in that page that have to be taken into account, but if these factors are fulfilled, then I suppose that it should be fine.

I understand; I was merely stating that the new explanation stays safe while allowing for more variety.

would composite yamcha be 3-A? but I digress

okay here's how it goes

if character with main canon very few or no keys, and one alternate version (with very few or no keys)
then add key(s)

if character with main canon very few or no keys, and one alternate version (with lots of keys)
then add key(s) or make another profile

if character with main canon very few or no keys, and various versions (with very few or no keys)
then add key(s) or make a composite

if character with main canon very few or no keys, and various versions (with lots of keys)
then make a composite

if character with main canon lots of keys, and one alternate version (with lots of keys)
then make another profile or a composite

if character with main canon lots of keys, and one alternate version (with very few or no keys)
then add key(s) or make another profile

if character with main canon lots of keys, and various versions (with lots of keys)
then make a composite

if character with main canon lots of keys, and various versions (with very few or no keys)
then make a composite

I think I covered all the cases if theres not anything i've missed

I think that alternative canon versions of characters should get an extra profile page in order to avoid confusion.

Composite profiles are a different issue.

I also agree on the alternate profiles/keys. Alternate profile altogether would probably be best if it would result in too much clutter on one profile.

I think that extra keys for different versions of the characters would usually both cause clutter, confusion, and disorganisation.

So, should we change the wording to this instead?

Separate profiles are better. I don't think you should mix non-canon with canon on the same page. Plus, in the case of Dragonball, if we have GT, then why would having anime DB profiles (separate) be a bad thing? Yugioh can just have alternate profiles for the main canon. But the anime is what our viewers will be looking for as it's exceedingly more popular.

it was determined that switching into a different conjunction was acceptable, which rendered the requirement into one instead of three.

speaking of which whatever happened to that pet project of linking pages into a template tab? As I obscurely remembered when surfing into one of the profiles back then that contained all the varying versions but then disappeared. If I may take the liberty of reviving such commendable idea.

Since the original purpose of this thread has been achieved, perhaps we should close it now, and remove the highlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back