• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Aim dodging

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Lazy Hunter's description is very well written. So I am also in favour of using it.

So what should we call the page? Aim dodging? Dodging feats? Something else?

"Dodging feats" seems more straight to the point to me.

Dodging feats seems too inclusive for me. A lot more can be said to dodging feats other than aim dodging, like for example the whole lightning dodging stuff and the role of distance etc.

So "Aim dodging" describes the content of the page better, in my opinion.

Okay. Aim dodging it is then.

I have now created the page here. Thank you for the help.

@Antvasima

Well, I didn't expect this. Thanks. Though wouldn't it be better to start the article with a definition of aim dodging? For people who don't know what it is.

@Slapphappyjoy

I think that previous knowledge of how an attack works, either via precog or experience, helps a lot to dodge the attack. In a way, a character aim dodging a bullet by following the gun is possible because they have previous knowledge on how a gun works and they know the path the bullet supposedly will take.

Imagine a character A facing a character B who has a triple beam attack. One of the beams is linear and the other two curve and attack from the left and right. Simply dodging to either side to evade the linear beam would get A hit by the other two. If this is the first time A faces this attack you could argue he's reacting to the beams if he dodges them. However, if A has previous knowledge (precog, has seen the attack before,etc) they could be using that knowledge to jump upwards or dodge diagonally forwards or backwards, evading all three beams. A more extreme case of this would be Touma vs Othinus, where Touma analyzed Othinus' combat patterns to the point he could dodge several of her normal attacks in a row, but he and the narration stated the exp he gained was only useful against her and not against other enemies.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Sorry. I have tried to fix it.

Should there be an image portraying it? If anything Spider-Man is your best bet. Due to precognition many of his feats involve aim dodging.

Spider-Man is an excellent example for the page, given his popularity and his spider sense being simple and easy to understand.

I will add the above image to the page.

I agree that previous knowledge of the attack is how the feat works. It's just that this caught my attention:

"By default, as long as the character can see the source of the attack/projectile (for example, a character having line of sight on a soldier pointing a gun at them), the feat will be considered aim dodging unless one or more of the following conditions is fullfilled:

1. The attack/projectile's path is non-linear and/or unpredictable in such a way that it makes aim dodging it by observation of the source impossible. For example, an attack that follows a random path or bends its path in the air. Previous knowledge of the attack/projectile's pattern would also disqualify the character from this feat unless sufficient proof to the contrary can be presented, as they could be merely using that knowledge to dodge the attack."

*I took this to be read as previous knowledge doesn't count for aim dodging. Can this be rewritten to clarify the intent of the definition?

Oh, yeah, that's my mistake, sorry. We probably should rewrite the 1st condition to:

1. The attack/projectile's path is non-linear and/or unpredictable in such a way that it makes aim dodging it by observation of the source impossible. For example, an attack that follows a random path or bends its path in the air. However, previous knowledge of the attack/projectile's pattern will count as aim dodging unless sufficient proof to the contrary can be presented, as they could be merely using that knowledge to dodge the attack. Precognition, future sight, or any ability or skill that could help the character predict the attack's path beforehand in any way count as "previous knowledge".

I will modify the description accordingly.

All right. Do the rest of you think that this topic is finished and can be closed now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back