• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Adding AP & Speed Categories to profiles via a bot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
In addition to the Tier categories, we already have on all profiles, I want to add categories for the exact Attack Potency and the Speed of the character. Aside from better organisation (which could also be useful for other revisions) this has the advantage that one can easily find good matches using the Category Intersection API, once such categories are established.

However, up to now whether this would ever get done is questionable, since editing all profiles is a gigantic task and other revisions are way more important.

BUT, this revision has one advantage over other revision: The task is a no-brainer.

To be specific, it is so easy we can make a bot do it.

So I looked at wikia's help page for bots grabbed myself the AWB and looked whether I can make it do what I want.

Aaaand I think I can. I still have to see how well I can make regex work (to reduce false positives), but I should be able to have a bot do the task.

So how big of a project would this be if we do it that way?

Well, wikia doesn't allow bots to edit faster than 1 edit per second. With my internet connections it might be closer to 1 edit every 2 seconds.

There are around 14k profiles in the characters and weapons categories and many profiles need to be edited multiple times for the different AP and Speed stats on there. Let's say, on average, maybe 4 times.

That means even the bot will take 2 days (around 32 hours) to make the revision (though we can split it up in a speed and an AP part to do at separate dates).

While that isn't that great, one can hide just bot edits on the recent changes page and the staff isn't more occupied with editing than usual, meaning moderating the wiki is easily possible during the revision.

None of this would start in the next few weeks, as I want to do lots of testing on a different wiki before letting a bot touch stuff here, need to find the regex which does the best job, create a bot account and I need to find days where I have the time to invest a whole day into watching the bot (which is a date that should of course also be agreed upon with the staff).

So for now the question just is: Do you think doing the revision this way is a good idea or can I save myself the effort of figuring out how to make the bot do what I want?

My apologies, but this would be far too problematic to first add and then continuously update for all characters within this wiki for many years afterwards.

In addition, adding categories for both the tiers and attack potencies seems redundant, and most matches are speed-equalised anyway, which lessens the need for a speed category.

Also, this is primarily a statistics indexing wiki. The matchups are not technically considered to be relevant for our several hundred thousand visitors, just a means for our much smaller number of active members to have fun.

With all due respect for all of the help that you have provided to building this wiki, and no offence intended, I would appreciate if you drop this subject. Thank you.

I disagree with some of these points, but if you think so.

It was still worth bringing up the option of doing it that way.

While I do see some advantages, makes it easier to find specific characters such as Low 4-C instead of looking through every single Tier 4 character, Ant also makes a good point as it may over complicate things. And same for speed, as speed is equalized in the majority of Vs threads.

@DontTalk

Thank you for being reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back