• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About Infinite Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
about infinite speed.....I know how and why people get rated that but if possibly could somone give me an in-depth explanation on why having time and space erased/nonexistent would warrant that speed at all?

I have a friend who im trying to explain this to but he is still confused on why. So I thought someone here could give me a good explanation on why so I can give it to him.

Thank you!

Time doesnt exist.

If ya can move while time isn't there basically ya have infinite speed.

Because if ya can go from point A to point B in zero time which is infinitely smaller than any other notion of time.

Well it speaks for itself.

Fiction rends to be extremely inconsistent regarding this though. Lots of characters move in timeless voids without ever remotely displaying the ability to move anywhere instantly when time is in effect.

@Ant

That's assuming that the authors actually know that moving in timeless voids requires infinite speed.

Besides, the same argument can be used against travel speed. "Characters who can travel between galaxies never display that speed in combat".

That's a false equivalency. Characters who can travel between galaxies actually have explicit speed feats that cannot be argued with, whereas most authors do not appear to subscribe to your standards for infinite speed.

By your reasoning, characters such as Marvel's Loki, Thanos, the Ultimates, and the Silver Surfer's human companion should all have infinite speed, and scale to every single Marvel character in existence, rather than simply accept that it is a common plot convenience, so the characters do not instantly freeze up and stop the story.

Wouldn't moving within a place where time doesn't exist simple mean you don't require time to exist?

"By your reasoning, characters such as Marvel's Loki, Thanos, the Ultimates, and the Solver Surfer's human companion should all have infinite speed, and scale to every single Marvel character in existence"

No, because that's inconsistent.

Ya just need to judge this on the consistency of feats, you know.

Basically, if the story makes clear that any normal character would have been stuck in a single moment, then we can use it, but generally speaking, it would lead to a vastly exaggerated scaling nightmare.

Basically, v=(s1-s2):(t1-t2)

If you are moving in a void without time, s1-s2=/=0 while t1-t2=0 (due to the fact that time isn't progressing).

Finite number : 0 = infinite (technically approach infinity because it's a concept and not a number)

Well, the inconsistency that you mention is the main point of my argument.

I agree that technically, it logically should require infinite speed. I am just saying that in virtually every single instance that I have seen, this fact has been ignored by the writers.

We need to figure out some middle ground solution to evaluate which of these types of feats that are acceptable, and which are considered too inconsistent.

Why does it require Infinte speed thou? I mean you can move at whatever speed you want, you simply wouldn't be able to calculate how fast you moved...

Oh I'm not saying it should be legit. I just wanted the reasoning for why you'd get the rating, at all, explained in depth so I can give it to my friend who is confused.

Whether it applies to other things here though isn't my concern.

@The Everlasting & Kaltias

If you wish, you can write up a suggestion for a better standard explanation for our Speed page, as long as it takes inconsistencies and case-by-case analysis into account.

Speed = Distance/Time. If time doesn't exist then you can't use this formula. Which means incalculable speed. Not infinite speed.

Anyway, since the question has been answered, and we have a new discussion, I will close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back