• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Vs Battles Discord chat function

Austrian-Man-Meat

VS Battles
Retired
After spending time on various discord servers, I've decided to take it upon myself to create a server. The reason why I've done this is to offer an alternative chat for newcoming users/those who dont use wikia chat; an enhancement to the wikia chat for older members. I'm going to propose this single thing, that the Vs Battles Discord gets promotion on the wikia e.g displayed on the front page etc.

I'll answer some questions pre-emptivley.

"Discord is difficult to manage, due to how much traffic these chats usually get": Not really, with the help of a single bot the amount of moderation I have to do is shockingly low. And from my experience, it's a rare occurence for servers to be infested with vulgar people; deal with raiders.

"Whats so special about a Discord chat?": For starters, group private messages, voice chat, bots, chat search history (coming soon) and custom emoticons are a thing. With additional features I cannot really recall currently. There is also the fact that many more people use discord than wikia chat, so problems with inactivity are going to be decreased significantly; we are able to generate more discussion within the community.

I'll say this just to make sure, I'm not saying we outright replace the wikia chat. All I'm saying is that we should offer an alternative to those who'd rather use Discord for practical reasons; the amount of people who do this is surprisingly high.

Sounds cool, I'll be there soon. I wonder what it takes for one to get Wikia-Discord support like what the Sonic wiki has.

Lately i've been on Discord quite a lot.

It's quite easy and sounds like a good idea. I've seen a couple of wikis using a Discor server as a Chat.

Yes, I have experience on Discord servers and I can say that I support this wholeheartedly.

On a side note, the invite link seems to have expired for me.

The problem is that we will get plenty of banned members that show up to troll and cause problems, that our staff will not have automatic banning rights, and that people will show up with usernames that do not belong to them for impersonation purposes.

It will also strain the staff even further to manage such a community, when the focus should lie on making sure that the state of this wiki itself does not deteriorate. I am not able to do most of the work on my own.

Hence, I do not at all think that this is a good idea.

In addition, I do not know if it is possible to keep IP addresses private there.

Also, these sort of topics should always be staff only discussions. I have moved it to the staff forum.

Well, I think Austrian Man Meat is keeping it invite only (it's invite only for now), which would keep the user base of the chat to only trusted users, which would cut down on previously banned users and other trolls considerably.

As for the main chat I only see random trolls once every few days (though it has been happening more lately) and fights rarely happen between members. Since the Discord seems like it'll be more exclusive, I doubt it'll be an issue to monitor at all.

Okay. Invite only seems good, as it would make the chat much easier to manage. Although we should probably disable the regular chat function in conjunction. It seems unnecessary to keep an inferior version, and Hop is severely overworking himself by constantly monitoring it.

The chat on here seems to be a place for random trolls to hit here anyways. If this does goes through, as i don't really have much of a problem with if everybody else doesn't, it can be shut down. I'm personally tired of having to hear that we get troll raids on our wikia's chat.

So yeah, an invite only Discord can work fine with me.

Agreed, and as I mentioned, I don't feel good about Hop overexerting himself by constantly keeping a lookout for trolls. He has real life issues to manage.

Exactly. If i was Hop, i'd be overexerted too as well. Hence once more, we would have to use that now instead but shut down our chat in turn.

Not that it's a bad deal to do cause this at least keeps out those who go on chat just to troll it.

I have no objections to keeping it invite-only, those who want to join can message my wall here (like Grudge did) for permission. There are also other options for the level of entry, such as only accounts with verified emails can join or that they need to wait five or ten minutes before even joining. btw I havent set it for invite only, I've only restricted the option for all users to send them.

Also, I'll give staff positions to the staff here. It would be bizarre for lets say an admin to join and just have their position revoked there. Also, staff are not obligated to partake in the discord just because of their position there. They can do as they wish.

Well, it should preferably be invite-only, to significantly reduce the staff workload, and everybody should also preferably be required to use the same usernames as here, in order to prevent confusion.

I personally think that the discord one should be invite-only as the main chat works just fine. Though this isn't a bad idea just saying it will a workload if we switch it out so maybe we can give a link (in whatever page the link is suited for) just in case main chat won't work me thinks

We will shut down the regular chat, if we use Discord. It would save the staff a considerable workload.

hmmm i was only thinking it was just an invite link but I'm just thinking that the main chat does work properly well. But i guess it's more to that huh. I'm more to the main chat guy cause it functions properly (while I haven't use discord that much) and idk if voice chat is necessary plus it can make regular users of the main chat not go to chat if it's replaced and can affect new users really. I'm more to against it personally to make it the official one cause of the changes that it will make. But idk if what i say will make it stay or go so i gotta go with the flow *shrugs*

1. If the Discord Chat is invite only. What about the new users? How will they be able to join? This just kills off the casual users as well.

2. Moderation for regular chat is not that difficult actually. We only need at least one chat mod who is willing to be there for most of their time.

3. Switching to Discord would be a workload in itself. Everyone would have to make new accounts, etc.

4. Are IP addresses private there?

5. We've had a Discord Chat before and it died off like a fashion trend.

Really, I also don't see the issue in just keeping chat, especially for users who don't have/don't want to have Discord accounts (Myself included). And as I said, managing chat isn't that hard and it's a burden I'll be willing to take on.

I don't mind Discord as an alternative option, but I'm against it outright replacing chat.

pretty much Ever summed up on my thinking replacing the main chat nah but alternative option alright

Well, the problem is that demanding that Hop should monitor the chat for trolls 14-18 hours a day, as he currently does, is a far far far too heavy workload.

If we use an invite-only option, with more functions, we could only allow well-behaved regular members to take part in it, which would almost completely remove all need for monitoring.

That said, maybe it is possible to give some greater restrictions to our current chat instead. Should we ask the Wikia/Fandom staff about it?

Well, I'm not suggesting that Hop does it. I'm willing to do it myself.

But what do you define as "greater restrictions"?

That staff members are automatically cleared, and that regular members request permission to use it.

Anyway, requiring that anybody in the staff destroys their regular life, just to monitor the chat for recurrent trolls does not sit well with me at all.

I also much prefer if we focus our time and energy towards keeping the wiki itself in good condition instead.

Yeah I agree that having an invite only discord chat would pretty much go against the whole "appealing to new users" ideal I've set out for. I'll like to see how the discord does without it, if it's too much of a hassle I can just switch it back on again; by the way, yeah ip addresses are private. The only way someone can get your ip is through hacking the official discord servers.

Also, it's not hard to manage discord either; to be honest. It's not very hard to manage any chat as long as you have atleast one active staff member. Also switching to discord is not as big a hassle as you make it out to be, the most you will sacrifice is like what, one or two minutes making a new account? I do understand that transfering things like emoticons will be arduous but I'm a-ok with taking that responsibility on my own.

The only reason the previous discord died out was because of a lack of promotion and interest. But now that I have the opportunity to get both of these things, I doubt the same thing will repeat itself.

If it is not invite only, we likely end up with some of the problems that I outlined in my initial post. It would remove the entire point of switching systems in the first place.

I don't think we should remove regular Chat. Not at all. A lot of people are familiar and comfortable with it.

And removing it altogether would be unintuitive, and plenty of great VBW members and nice people who became my friends appear and interact primarely there, or only there.

I am in complete disagreement with replacing current chat with Discord. Our previous Discord died hard and amounted to nothing.

I am in agreement with that. Would be a nice alternative.

In talking about chat, please keep in mind that both Ventus, EvilMegaCookie and Trexalfa act primary on it, and without an easily-accesable chat, they would never have showed up and been of great help in detailing and profiling a number of Verses.

I can easily prevent raids. And I just made a thread about advice to prevent them from happening. Sorry. I know this staff only but I need to say this. Fandom has even said they are considering making me a VSTF member dueto our wikis constant attacks lately.

Here's my thread about spammers Thread:538687

Also, we have no serious raids from trolls. What show up on our Wiki are the type of people who pop up on any Wiki's chat, span profanity and then leave giggling like children.

We really don't need to be concerned of "HueHueHue BRs". They are easy to eliminate.

@Sera

Okay. Thanks. I will check it out.

@Matthew

Well, regardless, I am concerned about the sheer time that it takes to constantly monitor the chat, and that Hop in particular is going to completely overwork himself.

Hence, I would prefer the kind of restrictions that I suggested earlier. The chat should be a way to relax, not be a further drain on our resources, when we need to monitor the wiki itself for vandalism and bad edits.

Ant i would like to point out that Hop isn't the only that can monitor the chat as there are other ppl that do that as well

Yes, but he has said in a blog post that he feels required to do so almost every hour that he is awake. Not even I work that hard.

I have told him that it is not necessary though.

Again, I would like to stress that I am more than willing to look after chat. I do that anyway pretty much. I'm normally on chat 17 hours a day, if not more, and my health is better than ever. Once more I know that this is staff only but I know how to fix this.

Well, we should probably make you into a chat moderator then, although I should stress that 17 hours a day away from real life is not a sacrifice that I want to require from anybody.

To save some time, are everybody else okay with that I give Sera a chat moderator position?

Back