• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A question about a statement from an author

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
So, here's the story:

There's this forum dedicated to this comic book series and the head writer of it (and original author) sometimes answers questions from users.
There was once this thread where people could make their own drafts of stories they would like to see, and other users could leave comments, and sometimes the author himself used to give opinions (one of them actually became a true story, after being processed by an official writer).
In this series there are vampires called "Masters of the Night" or just "Masters" and only the blood of a damphire can kill them.
During the series they have been harmed by other things or characters, but never seriously injured, since they can only die by the effect of damphire blood or by the hands of another Master (they can harm each other).

Now, among the many drafts written by the people, one was about one of these Masters (invented by him) who was caught by the explosion of an atomic bomb, and nearly died.
That started a debate between users, regarding whether something as strong as a nuke could actually kill a Master or not, until the author arrived and gave his opinion, which you can see here, with my translation hidden by the spoiler button.
Unfortunately it doesn't work (the story proposed). Can Superman withstand the atomic bomb? Yes? Then the Masters can too, since the ONLY threat to them is damphire blood.
He talks about Superman to make a comparison between kyptonite and damphir blood, as they are two weaknesses to characters that otherwise are invulnerable/incredibily durable.

Now my question is if this statement could be used in a profile for the durability of these characters, maybe with a "possibly".

Keep in mind that no Master has ever been hit by something nearly comparable to a nuke but at the same time nothing has ever seriously damaged them (aside for the two aforementioned exceptions)

Sounds like a no limits fallacy from the author itself, they are claiming that nothing can truly kill them unless it is their weakeness, despite the character being super injured.

Do they have some form of regen or ressurection?

What do you mean with being super injured?
I may have explained myself badly, but this nuke thing is basically a fanfiction written in a thread whose topic is "write your own story and see what other users and sometimes the author think of it".

No character in the entire series has a feat on that level, aside from a single one (which may even be universal) who doesn't scale to anyone and the only time he fought was holding back to enjoy the battle.

But yes, those vampires have a mid-low/high-low level of regeneration which increases up to high-mid depending on time and/or how much blood they consume, and can survive even if cut to pieces.
It's also true that they always received only superficial damage from sources different from their weaknesses (like scratches or wounds made by bullets or swords when in human form) but at the same time they have never been hit by a nuke-level thing.

I read the last thing as "keep in mind masters have [...] and seriously harmed them" so i thought it was a event.

So is even worse, is literally the same as those tv series where one tier 9 guy only got one weakeness and suddenly the world's nuke arsenal is irrelevant.

Apologies, I badly explained myself, it's just that nothing has caused them damage over some wound depending on the form taken, but at the same time no one of them has been hit by something as strong as a nuke. I don't have calcs ready, but they shouldn't go over 8-C anyway even when in stronger forms granted by shapeshifting.

Overall is like you say, they have only been seriously harmed by their two weaknesses but we don't have evidences of them resisting something that goes beyond tier 8 at most.

I guess the statement can't be used, maybe just a generic "higher" after the tier they receive from calcs, for being particularly durable even when clashing with characters on their level who can't use their weaknesses.

I really ought to make a fictional analysis of tropes someday, because I get what the author is trying to convey, but at the same time it just doesn't combine well with our fictional standards.

Summing a long story short, if I were to consider that statement, I'd consider it to be that deal about having "infinite lifeforce/HP/vitality". You still have a durability level, of course, but you won't ever die outside of your weakness or some exotic powers. Otherwise your body will always be crippled and maybe even fully destroyed, kind of similar to that deal that Tolkien wrote about having an eternally diminishing but never quite zero spirit (but in this case, it is about the physical body), but won't truly die. However, all of this is if I were to consider the statement. A very big "if", and one that, with our community standards, isn't going to be accepted.

In a wiki I staff at there was a kind of immortality that we assigned to such people, in that they'd stay alive no matter what while at least a small part of them still existed, with the limitation that their weakness nullified that. This could be the case here, but different communities have different standards, so eh.

You're right, because they still get hurt to some extent by beings or things comparable to them, by only superficial wounds, by they couldn't be taken down in any manner but we don't know how their bodies would react to such higher levels of damage.

But the fact that they can regenerate and survive even when dismembered, makes them even more resilient, so it can be as you say, high durability and a ton of stamina.

The only thing different from dhampir blood and other masters that was about to kill one of them was a cannon that splits all the molecules of the target.

Back