• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A place to store useful code?

Colonel_Krukov

🖖 Live long and prosper
He/Him
VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Image Helper
I spent ages digging around for a really useful piece of code and I was wondering if there's any place we store such stuff, and if not, I suggest perhaps having such a place so people don't have to go searching for ages for it like I did, please?

It's just so people can access code for spoilers, and what I was recently using, a neat tabber trick I stumbled across. See the Marines/N7 section on my blog for what I'm rambling on about.

There are various instruction pages available at Community Central though.

We don't have a place for the code pieces yet. It is common to have them placed across the help pages they're related to. This is barely the case for our pages, however.

The code should preferably be documented, as we don't have much of the used code well described, and the official FANDOM pages don't help much. Personally I don't see any problem with the decentralization, but if it disturbs significantly, it is possible to establish a page with commonly used code.

We could probably make a blog page or something describing some useful formatting tools, like tabbers, collapsing sections, etc.

I think that a help page with commonly used code would probably be helpful. It could also link to more in-depth explanations in the official Community Central help pages.

Oh, Pastebin. That's a useful text/code storage. I would prefer if we'll contain the commonly used code pieces directly in FANDOM, preferrably in the page (not blog) form, so that we could have a quicker access to them. If users want to share their own piece of code, however, we can encourage Pastebin and similar sites to contain bigger pieces of code in order to not bloat users' own messages up.

I don't mind any of the above options, as long as it's:

• Easy to add more code when more is discovered
  • Easy to find/access
  • Not bloating a page with information.

Does anybody have suggestions for what kind of information links that we should include in such a page?

I mean that if we are creating a page, we need to decide what kind of information it should contain and/or link to.

The page would have a summary about what the page is and how it can be used, then we'd have an instruction about how the code can be used and finally there'd be pieces of code (in a single heading), each with its own intention. They would be under their individual sub-headings, so we could easily link to them in case of if a reference to them is required.

Uhh. Honestly, I don't know what can be included there that wouldn't be included in other pages. Maybe others have ideas.

I think it should be something like this:

• The Code itself
  • An example of when it can/should be used
  • A screenshot of what it would like (Both the code and end result)
  • A link to a member of staff/member who can implement it if someone is struggling to use it. Or maybe a link to the forums so they can ask for help.

Hmmm. It seem to have code mostly just for fun. Collapsible's code can be implemented into the page, of course.

Back