• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A New Rule and a Formatting Page

Reppuzan

VS Battles
Retired
On the past Sora vs Goku thread (which Cross closed out of exasperation) and the Wolfgang Schrieber vs Flash thread, it became apparent to me that voters rarely read through both profiles before commenting on a VS Thread. This is not only tiresome (as the supporters of the other side have to explain why X wouldn't work for Y reasons) but it makes many debates turn circular and boring really fast.

As a result, I'd like to propose that a rule be added to alleviate this issue somewhat:

"Please remember to thoroughly read the basic statistics and powers of both profiles before posting on a versus thread. This prevents threads from becoming needlessly long and saves users the trouble of having to completely explain each character's powers and abilities for each and every thread."

Naturally, this would be virtually impossible to enforce, but it would at least encourage users to do so rather than just post biased opinions without listening to the other side.

In addition, it's come to my attention that many new users don't know how to use the Source Editor and thus stick with the Visual Editor despite our efforts to dissuade them. Thus I was thinking that it might be a good idea to write a page that provides easy-to-understand examples of each type of formatting and how to apply them in order to make the Source Editor more approachable.

Thoughts?

I agree with this. Both parts actually, but especially the latter. Even as staff, I only recently learned how to sort of use Source Editor. It's nigh impossible for a new person.

I agree with these. More so on the reading of statistics before posting in a versus thread, having dealt with issues like that in the past.

first one seems good.

For the second: Wouldn't this and linked pages be sufficient? Or do you want to write something closer orientated on our profile format?

It looks like this has gotten a good amount of support from the staff. So if no one minds I'll add the rule and start working on a formatting page.

It's better to make it, especially since it's kind of ******** to not see people actually read stuff thoroughly. Like i read stuff even while stressed and tired and i still can understand them perfectly. Even just skimming it through, i catch just about almost all of the words on anything like here...

@DontTalk

To be honest, I've never actually see that page so I've taken all I know from hands-on experience and gazing at the source code of other wikis along with an occasional Google search.

I just thought that making a page would be easier for newcomers to find and we could also easily post it in our welcome messages.

I am fine with this. Although we already link to a source code editor explanation page in the Editing Rules, and additionally have most of the features of our profiles pages already added in the standard format option for new page additions.

I agree that it might be a good idea to do so in the welcome message page as well though.

Back