• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A minor infinite speed revision?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Head Bureaucrat
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

We had a discussion in this thread regarding the standards for moving in a timeless void.

We eventually seemed to reach the conclusion that we can count such instances as infinite speed, as long as they are not inconsistent, and are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Do the rest of you consider this an acceptable solution, and if so could somebody check up how we should modify the descriptions in our Speed page, and write a draft for the new text?

NOTE: STAFF ONLY

I obviously do agree, as I was one of the people who raised the point originally.

As long as it isn't contradictory, of course.

It's my belief that, as long as it is not a hilarious outlier, being able to exist in a timeless void should grant the character is question infinite speed.

Of course characters like Zen'ō would still not get this, since infinite speed would be an incredible outlier compared with the other MFTL+ angels and such. However I think Solaris and the Digimon deserve infinite for this reason (and they do currently have this rating, so it only makes sense to give every character equal treatment so long as it isn't the only feat anywhere near that in the verse).

Okay. However, we need a good explanation in the speed page, so it is important that we handle this carefully.

Of course common sense should apply with case-by-case basis.

A simple super-powered character existing outside of time once or twice isn't the same as a being that existed before time.

I have no problem with this but as stated above someone like Zeno wouldn't be rated Infinite.

Well, we need concrete suggestions for how to word the speed page explanations.

I'm mostly for the "Moving in a void grants infinite speed if it's your natural enviroment". Think about it, if you are performing an infinite speed feat 24/7, the outlier is when you fail to dodge whatever thing is moving at finite speed.

Case by case is always necessary tho

Kaltias said:
I'm mostly for the "Moving in a void grants infinite speed if it's your natural enviroment". Think about it, if you are performing an infinite speed feat 24/7, the outlier is when you fail to dodge whatever thing is moving at finite speed.
Makes sense to me.

Antvasima said:
Well, we need concrete suggestions for how to word the speed page explanations.
Characters who showcase the ability to move freely and naturally in a timeless void may qualify for an Infinite speed rating so long as is not a huge Outlier or Plot-Induced Stupidity or Inconsistency. This will have to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and will not apply properly across multiple fictions.

^ I think it sucks personally. I beg someone to write a better version.

Kaltias said:

This seems reasonable. I always thought that if you were born and can naturally move in a space with no time, your natural movement is infinite (you know, when time is 0). Fiction doesnt usually follow this rule however. But inconsistencies are bound to happen anyway.

My thought process is basically the same as Kaltias's. Infinite speed is fine for beings naturally born into lands without time.

Kaltias said:
Likewise.

I like Kal's reasoning as well. There are a couple DB examples that can be interpreted either way with this.

Soldier Blue said:
Characters who showcase the ability to move freely and naturally in a timeless void may qualify for an Infinite speed rating so long as is not a huge Outlier or Plot-Induced Stupidity or Inconsistency. This will have to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and will not apply properly across multiple fictions.

^ I think it sucks personally. I beg someone to write a better version.
Is anybody interested in helping out here?

I personally rather like Soldier Blue's version though.

We could use a version of his text as a replacement for footnote 4 in the Speed page.

@Soldier Blue

The only part that I wonder about exactly what is intended is this text segment: "and will not apply properly across multiple fictions"

Why does Sonic get scaled to Solaris only in AP but not speed? Also isn't the whole point of his ratings supposed to be that "his power varies" and stuff?

I don't even know if Solaris's natural environment is a timeless void. That sounds a bit wank-y and baseless.

Isn't his entire thing to destroy all of time itself and existing in the past, present and future at once?

And again, why is it okay to scale Sonic's strength to someone infinitely stronger than what he normally shows but not okay to scale Sonic's speed to someone infinitely faster than what he normally shows?

Ryukama said:
And again, why is it okay to scale Sonic's strength to someone infinitely stronger than what he normally shows but not okay to scale Sonic's speed to someone infinitely faster than what he normally shows?
There are two solutions in this situation and it's within the topic, or we scale those that fought with Infinite Speed beings or downgrade Solaris and Time Eater speeds since the timeless void thing does not qualify and it's an outlier for those that fought them.

@Dark949 I'm completely fine with either those solutions. I just want consistency in how we're scaling things.

Soldier Blue said:
So, should I replace footnote 4 in the Speed page with this text? I would just like to have it clarified what "and will not apply properly across multiple fictions" means first.

Ah sorry. Went to bed as it was somewhat late here and I had a headache.

About the "across multiple fictions" thing. I meant that people should not use this as a reason to just hand out Infinite speed ratings left and right. I think it's redundant and just the case-by-case thing is fine. You can leave that part out. I don't even remember why I typed that to be honest.

So:

Characters who showcase the ability to move freely and naturally in a timeless void may qualify for an Infinite speed rating so long as is not a huge Outlier or Plot-Induced Stupidity or Inconsistency. Such feats will have to be very carefully evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Okay. I will replace the 4th footnote in the speed page then.

This is a staff thread. They are not as important to close quickly. It is good to wait for input from the rest of the staff.

Okay. Thanks.

Back