• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Plot manipulation…

Status
Not open for further replies.
EnM4sRn1Ewz8aXaoBUTf1Op2jp9JA8xKSCb4H0mEohg-oyJTJGS7_vFdFZfz3k9JRwKgkX0nDkWVN_zLWfaB7OXlz84RGjX1tnSo2uplpLTSw0LxgrBEZmy3-d0cspGQpiDqWZvtzg=s1600
So in DC there’s this thing called the Oblivion Machine. It’s something the Gentry labor to complete and it’s supposed to represent the coming of the final chapter, on the end of the never-ending story of DC. It’s supposed to do this by undoing Superman’s wish for a happy ending, that was made at the end of Final Crisis.

My question is would the Oblivion Machine bringing the closure to a never-ending or infinite narrative be a form of plot manipulation? And would the Miracle Machine bringing a happy ending to the narrative/plot also be a form of plot manipulation?

No, for the same reasons that Mandrakk wasn't eligible for it. It does not meet any of the requirements described in the Plot Manipulation page and can be more or less boiled down to "gonna destroy the multiverse" which is not plot manipulation. Plot Manipulation is willful dictation of the events of a story, not just ending it. You have to be able to literally decide what characters will say, do, and even think, by virtue of having author like control over them.

It does not meet any of the requirements described in the Plot Manipulation page and can be more or less boiled down to "gonna destroy the multiverse" which is not plot manipulation.
Yes it does. If I can decide when the story/plot will end, that is directly manipulating the plot.

Also, it’s clearly more than just destroying the Multiverse since the story/plot is also involved.

Yes it does. If I can decide when the story/plot will end, that is directly manipulating the plot.
That's not one of the criteria listed on the "Plot Manipulation" VSBW page, so it does not justify receiving the "Plot Manipulation" ability on the VSBW profile. The fact that you could feasibly refer to it as plot manipulation is immaterial.

That's not one of the criteria listed on the "Plot Manipulation" VSBW page, so it does not justify receiving the "Plot Manipulation" ability on the VSBW profile. The fact that you could feasibly refer to it as plot manipulation is immaterial.
There is no list of criteria’s on the plot manipulation page. The plot manipulation page only has a summary of what plot manipulation is, it’s possible uses, and a list of plot manipulation users. So what you’re referring to on the page doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
You're playing semantic games. As Firestorm painstakingly addressed in the other thread, you need to be able to alter the events of an existing narrative. This is clearly not that.

Writing/editing a story on paper is different that straight up eating the paper with the words on it.

You're playing semantic games. As Firestorm painstakingly addressed in the other thread, you need to be able to alter the events of an existing narrative. This is clearly not that.

Writing/editing a story on paper is different that straight up eating the paper with the words on it.
I’m not arguing semantics. You lied about there being a list of criteria’s on the plot manipulation page.

Altering the events of the plot is just one possible way to get plot manipulation. Deciding when the progression of the plot will be concluded is another possible way, as proven from characters on this wiki who got it for that very reason. The Oblivion Machine can directly end the progression of the plot. Therefore it’s plot manipulation.

You lied about there being a list of criteria’s
Or you willfully interpreted my words in a way I clearly did not mean them.

Deciding when the progression of the plot will be concluded is another possible way, as proven from characters on this wiki who got it for that very reason. The Oblivion Machine can directly end the progression of the plot. Therefore it’s plot manipulation.
Yeah, an Admin already debunked this nonsense. Stop abusing the Q&A forum as a set-up to some bad CRT.

I didn’t. You lied by saying “That's not one of the criteria listed on the "Plot Manipulation" VSBW page” when no such list of criteria’s exist on the page in the first place.

Yeah, an Admin already debunked this nonsense. Stop abusing the Q&A forum as a set-up to some bad CRT.
He didn’t, and even if you think he did you clearly can’t prove me wrong, so bringing this up is pointless. Interact with the question or leave if you have nothing productive to say. I don’t care for petty topics like this.

Last edited:
I didn’t. You lied by saying “That's not one of the criteria listed on the "Plot Manipulation" VSBW page” when no such list of criteria’s exist on the page in the first place.

He didn’t, and even if you think he did you clearly can’t prove it, so bringing this up is pointless. Interact with the question or leave if you have nothing productive to say. I don’t care for petty topics like this.
The matter is settled. It isn't plot manipulation, and your constant attempts at giving character's abilities that they clearly don't have is not productive whatsoever.

Once again, I did not. And you repeating yourself is not going to change this. You can’t just claim that someone’s misinterpreting you whenever you’re caught spewing a bold face lie. And even if you meant something different it doesn’t matter because it’s not what you wrote.

The matter is settled. It isn't plot manipulation, and your constant attempts at giving character's abilities that they clearly don't have is not productive whatsoever.
The Oblivion Machine is plot manipulation as I’ve already proven. If you have a problem with it, you can take it up with the arguments made for it.

Once again, I did not. And you repeating yourself is not going to change this. You can’t just claim that someone’s misinterpreting you whenever you’re caught spewing a bold face lie. And even if you meant something different it doesn’t matter because it’s not what you wrote.
I never said there was a "list of criteria." And, yes, you're pretty clearly choosing to interpret what I said incorrectly to lob this rather shallow personal attack.

The Oblivion Machine is plot manipulation as I’ve already proven. If you have a problem with it, you can take it up with the arguments made for it.
Just like you proved it with Mandrakk, which got rejected twice by staff? Right. The arguments you've made for it were already debunked. If you make a CRT on this premise, it will be rejected inevitably.

I never said there was a "list of criteria." And, yes, you're pretty clearly choosing to interpret what I said incorrectly to lob this rather shallow personal attack.
Maybe not “list of criteria” verbatim but you did say there was criteria for plot manipulation listed on the page. Which is a lie because there isn’t.

Deagonx - “That's not one of the criteria listed on the "Plot Manipulation" VSBW page…”

Just like you proved it with Mandrakk, which got rejected twice by staff? Right. The arguments you've made for it were already debunked. If you make a CRT on this premise, it will be rejected inevitably.
That just means Firestorm and Antvasima were wrong.

Maybe not “list of criteria” verbatim but you did say there was criteria for plot manipulation listed on the page. Which is a lie because there isn’t.
The description is the criteria. It doesn't exactly take a high degree of brain power to understood what was meant in context.

That just means Firestorm and Antvasima were wrong.
Lol. And who are the staff members that agree with you? You realize you'll need several for any of your CRTs to pass?

I hope you got more proof than that scan, because it's vague af.
I do. There’s additional stuff from Multiversity and even Final Crisis that helps build context and strengthen what’s being said in this scan. The only reason I posted this scan is just to showcase the existence of and lightly define the Oblivion Machine.

Obtaining Plot Manipulation seems to be alot more complicated then what i imagined

We give Conceptual manipulation to characters who can destroy or Create concepts but we dont give Plot manipulation to characters capable of destroying or creating Stories/plots/narratives. It is a little weird

We give Conceptual manipulation to characters who can destroy or Create concepts but we dont give Plot manipulation to characters capable of destroying or creating Stories/plots/narratives. It is a little weird
That’s the funny we part, we do give plot manipulation to characters for bringing narratives to an end. Azrael from Discworld and Miyama Kaito are just a few of the examples.

It’s only now when it comes to certain DC characters are a bunch of random people coming out of the woodwork with a stick up their ass to try and act like we don’t give plot manipulation for that reason.

Even a cursory glance at Azrael's profile shows that this isn't the case.

Has all of death's powers, who could alter the text of the story using his scythe. Is the "end of all stories".

Wow! Actual plot manipulation.

As for Miyama Kaito, reading the profile it actually probably isn't plot manipulation. But the verse is extremely obscure so there's probably a lot of wank that goes through by sole virtue of the fact that no one cares about it enough to debunk.

Even a cursory glance at Azrael's profile shows that this isn't the case.
Yes it is the case. As one of the reasons for Azraels plot manipulation is due to him being the “end of all stories.”

- “Has all of death's powers, who could alter the text of the story using his scythe. Is the "end of all stories". Can likely control narravitium, the story element present throughout the Discworld multiverse),”

Which is the exact reason you’re saying isn’t plot manipulation.

Then drop the proof of it. Without any context this is just flowery language
I already have a whole thread addressing the exact thing you’re talking about. https://vsbattles.com/threads/final-crisis-7-revision.150152/

I understand why someone would think it’s flowery language by just looking at this one scan. However we were assuming whatever additional context needed existed for the sake of me not turning this into a CTRL thread and for the sake of answering the question. With said question being “does ending the progression of the plot counts as plot manipulation”?

Last edited:
Ending a story/plot requires a probably plot manipulation but I think, here there seems to be a flowery language.

Yes it is the case. As one of the reasons for Azraels plot manipulation is due to him being the “end of all stories.”

- “Has all of death's powers, who could alter the text of the story using his scythe. Is the "end of all stories". Can likely control narravitium, the story element present throughout the Discworld multiverse),”

This is completely false. The reason he got the plot manipulation is due to:
"Has all of death's powers, who could alter the text of the story using his scythe. Is the "end of all stories"
And not because it is “end of all stories". More blatant proof like this can't be dismissed.

If that was the only piece of evidence he should absolutely not get plot manipulation. But it isn't, so this is a moot point. Besides. It's not as though any of the users you're complaining about participated in those CRTs. I'd never even heard of those characters til now.

If that was the only piece of evidence he should absolutely not get plot manipulation. But it isn't, so this is a moot point. Besides. It's not as though any of the users you're complaining about participated in those CRTs. I'd never even heard of those characters til now.
?????????????????? he should wdym? Literally a blatant proof like this is suffient.

???????????????? he should wdym? Literally a blatant proof like this is suffient
No I'm saying if the only evidence was him being referred to as "the end of all stories" rather than him being able to alter the text (which is textbook plot manipulation) then he shouldn't get it. Xear is trying to argue that since the "end of all stories" bit is part of his justification, that it should be enough on its own to justify a separate character for plot manipulation, which isn't how that works at all.

No I'm saying if the only evidence was him being referred to as "the end of all stories" rather than him being able to alter the text (which is textbook plot manipulation) then he shouldn't get it. Xear is trying to argue that since the "end of all stories" bit is part of his justification, that it should be enough on its own to justify a separate character for plot manipulation, which isn't how that works at all.
Alright. Ya, it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back