• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question regarding deleted feats' canonicity in live service games & remakes

so if a live service game has a limited time event, a gamemode or smth similar where characters perform certain feats in it or it has certain statements. once that event ends. is everything in it disregarded from games canon? mind you everything else in it is canon, im just saying whether a piece of content deleted in it out of technical reasons would automatically decanonize everything in that piece of content?

also want to ask the same thing but for remakes, if a game has a remake, does everything from the previous version get discarded? even if it didnt get retconned directly? like if a random piece of lore was just randomly dropped in a section completely unrelated to the story of said game. would that piece of lore be non canon the second a remake without it drops?

so if a live service game has a limited time event, a gamemode or smth similar where characters perform certain feats in it or it has certain statements. once that event ends. is everything in it disregarded from games canon? mind you everything else in it is canon, im just saying whether a piece of content deleted in it out of technical reasons would automatically decanonize everything in that piece of content?
Limited time events are an intended feature of those games, I would believe most events don't have problems; Unless the event is never reran despite everything before and after doing so, then there might be something off

If it has been deleted in the sense it not a remake, i dont think we can use that. I mean even the developer want to remove it, why we still use it, why we dont remove it???
also want to ask the same thing but for remakes, if a game has a remake, does everything from the previous version get discarded? even if it didnt get retconned directly? like if a random piece of lore was just randomly dropped in a section completely unrelated to the story of said game. would that piece of lore be non canon the second a remake without it drops?
If it been remake if that not contradicted with the previous i think you can still use that even if that got deleted in remake version, because it already official
Or you can make different profile i think, like we do with character from LN and WN if that two novel is contradict with each other

If it has been deleted in the sense it not a remake, i dont think we can use that. I mean even the developer want to remove it, why we still use it, why we dont remove it??
you didnt understand my question, it's a live service game. live service games typically have these limited timed events. that always stay up for a short period of time & then end. its not that the devs want them removed. its that they have to remove it to make room for other events in the game, if that makes sense.

you didnt understand my question, it's a live service game. live service games typically have these limited timed events. that always stay up for a short period of time & then end. its not that the devs want them removed. its that they have to remove it to make room for other events in the game, if that makes sense.
I know what you mean, my point just on if that get deleted. Yeah i mean my point if that not a online game like genshin or anything

If that online game, yeah that is canon, as far as it not contradicted

It kind of depends. Say for example, some multiplayer function in single player games. Do they suddenly get deemed non-canon if the servers shut down or they don't make it to the "Remastered Version", despite in most cases being actually referenced multiple times in future sequels as a setting stone for side characters?

Or is it merely a logistics problem of keeping the servers up?

Mind you, this issue isn't limited solely to multiplayer. Some offline single-player games (Especially sports games and racing games) get delisted and unavailable for purchase without piracy due to licensing costs. Do those games become non-canon now? Do you see how this snowballs into some really deranged and insane takes about canonicity as a whole?

Like I said, massive slippery slope. Not every game is the same. Majority of games (Especially single-player ones) don't just decanonize events just for the hell of it. Also, delistings can happen to even offline-only single-player games without any live-service elements.

It depends if the remake version is assumed to be the definitive canon version that supersedes the old version (Assuming it's because the old version is just too much of a mess to play on newer systems).

However, even then, some remakes may just be literal rebuildings of the original game in a new engine without any changes to gameplay, just effectively a fresh coat of paint.

Absolutly no to the first question. As a Gacha game afficionado, limited time events are common. Even the fact that they arent rerun sadly. So for powerscaling, you only need to ask yourself 3 questions

1. Is the event canon? (a random IP collab may simply not be canon, like good luck trying to explain why 2B/Joker suddenly dropped in your game.)

2. Was the even retconned? (A event not being rerunned may be intentional, maybe the devs and writers didnt like the implications that event had on the overal plot and wanted to shelve it then, coming the closest to a actual "delete" and turning it noncanon in retrospect)

3. Can you still provide good scans from said event without a rerun? (if the first 2 questions have been cleared, then nothing narrativewise prevents you from using the event for scaling purposes. A event not being rerun for any specific and stated reason is like I said fairly normal. So just proofing that the event happend in the overall narrative and having all the relevant scans at hand, even if you cant pop the game on and get them fresh.)

Which would be extremly weird assuming you yourself have a account on which the event was played through, 99% of current gacha games for example allow you to replay the story if you did play through the event

It's simply a case by case basis. It depends largely.

If the story of these events is something that is referenced throughout the story (even if this event doesn't return) or something like that, I think it would be canonical. But if it is never referenced, spoken of or even has some minor contradictions, it may not be canonical.

As for the Remake thing, it also depends. In vsbattle, Resident Evil Remakes are something else, they have their own profiles.

It depends on what the purpose of this remake is. Whether it's to supplement the original with new information that has emerged throughout the series, whether it's to completely replace it to become something like "go for the remake, not the original" or whether it's an alternate reality, e.g. in Castlevania some Remakes are simply alternative universes.

Absolutly no to the first question. As a Gacha game afficionado, limited time events are common. Even the fact that they arent rerun sadly. So for powerscaling, you only need to ask yourself 3 questions

1. Is the event canon? (a random IP collab may simply not be canon, like good luck trying to explain why 2B/Joker suddenly dropped in your game.)

2. Was the even retconned? (A event not being rerunned may be intentional, maybe the devs and writers didnt like the implications that event had on the overal plot and wanted to shelve it then, coming the closest to a actual "delete" and turning it noncanon in retrospect)

3. Can you still provide good scans from said event without a rerun? (if the first 2 questions have been cleared, then nothing narrativewise prevents you from using the event for scaling purposes. A event not being rerun for any specific and stated reason is like I said fairly normal. So just proofing that the event happend in the overall narrative and having all the relevant scans at hand, even if you cant pop the game on and get them fresh.)

Which would be extremly weird assuming you yourself have a account on which the event was played through, 99% of current gacha games for example allow you to replay the story if you did play through the event
my case is weird. its a game that had a bunch lore & cosmology related statements in temporary game modes. those statements are indeed canon. and they were never retconned or contradicted. but then long after those gamemodes ended. the game itself underwent some massive changes. mainly in the gameplay. changes so huge, it could be considered an entirely new game like a remake but it's still technically under the same name. the story of the game itself remained relatively the same. with only some cutscenes added, and some minor characters used for upgrading weapons & stuff removed. i just want to know if those prior statements can be used again, even after the entire game got overhauled

Back