• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Would Challenge a Viner/WikiUser be a good thing on this wiki?

ScarletFirefly

VS Battles
Retired
So I've been thinking about this for some time, and I think it's an interesting form of debating on a versus thread.

Basically how this works, for anybody that doesn't know, is: One WikiUser challenges another to a CharacterX versus CharacterY debate, and if the other agrees we have a challenge. Both user present their argument in the debate. Other users that are not debating are not allowed to present arguments but are allowed to vote for either debater.

Now this obviously is for more experienced debaters on this site and not me lol, but I think it would be interesting to see two users duke it out.

Well considering the rules for adding matches, I think this kind of debate would not be a good way to add Victories and Losses. Since only two people are debating, they could miss on things other users won't and since others are not allowed to debate, this will go unnoticed, resulting in not so good results. I thought it as just a fun way to pass the time on this wiki, nothing more :)

Things will get really messy if users debate on their wall and other people won't know the debate is actually happening so they won't have a chance to vote.

Also, such debates are usually handled by finding feats alone, that may or may not be accepted, or considered as outliers, by this wiki, while generally ignoring statements.

I am not sure if this is the best place for such discussions.

I actually don't know, Ant. This seems like a fun little addition that won't take up our time. At the absolute worst, it could only be for fun and not added.

Okay. I just hope that staff members won't spend too much time doing this instead of handling their regular work here.

I like the idea, though I wouldn't add it to profiles so it won't affect anything on the wikia side of things.

Seems like harmless fun to me

Hm... thought the people would reject this idea out of flaming, but the reception is actually good (and flaming between 2 people is basically a bonfire anyway).

If it's for fun, I think this idea could work. This could then lead to actual debate about character match too, where the real flame war begin

Well, the problem is the flaming risks, as you say, and also that it might bring up lots of hostility regarding our rankings. Neither of which is accepted in this wiki, and would likely lead to blocks that could have been avoided.

@Ant

Flaming is a fair point. If people feel this would lead to flaming, then never mind. Everything that causes hostility is a big no-no.

I don't really get the point with the ranking though. You mean people will argue about the tiers of the characters, despite the wikia already having predetermined tiers?

Yes. My experience with such threads is that they go by whatever evidence is found alone, and ignore any wiki tiers. That can potentially lead to tensions.

I can definitely see where you're coming from if you're talking about CV threads.

I think the tiers are ignored since comicvine doesn't have any tiering system on their site (not that I know of at least), so people tend to ignore that thing and argue about what feat puts the character in the perceived tier. We do have a tiering system so I think ignoring the tiering system is much less likely.

I've not been here long enough to say that I have any good amount of experience, but I've rarely seen people arguing about tiering, Most of the times, the debate is settled by versatilty or intelligence and the like since most VS threads have characters in the same tiers, and even if the match is completely one-sided, we can always request for a lock.

I suppose. Although I am generally reluctant to allow potentially detrimental changes to a system that already works reasonably well.

Back