• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Wiki Pages Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kavpeny

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
Hello, community members.

As you would have all noticed by now, the VS Battles wiki has been growing steadily, in both quality (aka community) and popularity. What you may not know however, is that behind the scenes, maintaining VS Battles wiki is becoming more and more difficult for the staff (maintaining the wiki includes checking for the accuracy of content on pages, especially important combat statistics such as Attack Potency, Speed, Durability, etc.)

The management issue compounded by the fact that all of us, quite understandably, want to see our favourite characters rated higher. This sentiment is perfectly natural, yet makes managing the wiki more difficult from an objective point-of-view. To that end, I have a suggestion to offer, and wish to see what everybody else thinks of it.

The suggestion is: Protecting Tier 0, Tier 1 and Tier 2 pages as editable to Admin-only.

The fundamental reasoning for the suggestion: The nature of Tier 0, 1 and 2 is such that power discrepancies are vast. As such, an upgrade of any manner is highly unlikely. For example, even if a 1-B character is infinitely more powerful than its current listing, the character would still be 1-B.

FAQ

Q: Will the pages permanently locked?

A: No. Any member who wishes to make structural, grammatical and formatting edits is free to ask the Admins. The page will be unlocked for a decent length of duration, in order to facilitate all changes the member feels are necessary.

Q: Will the stats be permanent?

A: Again, the answer is no. Members are free to suggest any possible changes they feel are necessary (along with appropriate reasoning), by creating a thread in the forum section.

Q: What about the Comments section on the articles in question?

A: There will be no changes to the comments section. People are free to post comments, including questions. Members knowledgeable about the respective franchise will answer such queries. If the questions remain unanswered, members can create a thread on the Questions and Answers forum board.

I strongly support this suggestion.

I will have to mostly leave the wiki soon due to increasing burnout from constantly maintaining it, and given how large a part of the work I have done, this would greatly help the other admins with managing the wiki after the transition.

I definitely support this for Tier 0 and 1 characters. Not as sure about Tier 2, simply because there are a massive amount of characters who occupy the "Universe level+" category (even if only in one of their forms) and it may get tedious, but it's still probably a wise decision.

I think this is a good idea, but also I believe that Azathoth makes a good point as well. Perhaps we should exclude the characters from the low end of the 2-C spectrum (Universal+) from being locked. But if it takes too much unnecessary work and would be much easier to simply include them in the lock with rest, then I am in agreement with the original proposal. It's a good idea due to the large amount of controversy regarding these pages in the past.

Makes sense. We don't want to see superfluous exaggeration of the tiers, etc. It's bad enough we have these controversies, but for them to go too far, this isn't quite an option anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back