• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

┬┐When was agreed that Speed equalization brings both combatants to the lower speed stat?

PaChi2

VS Battles
Retired
Title says it all.

Just need confirmation of this. And please, link the thread where it was said.

Thank you.

I revised two "speed equalized" threads, one 5 months ago and the other one a year so.

It wasnt mentioned there.

I've never fully understood how this works, especially since going in either direction can potentially neuter one side during certain matchups.

Example 1: Speed equalized to lower speed. Slower character can manipulate cloud-to-ground lightning, but is nowhere near MHS+ in terms of speed. Other character proceeds to take lightning bolts to the face without any means of defending themselves and probably dies as a result. (Especially if their baseline durability is lower than Building level, which is true of a fair number of magic users.)

Example 2: Speed equalized to higher speed. Faster character is rated at MHS, whereas the slower character has Subsonic projectiles. Slower character still fails to hit the faster character and probably dies as a result.

I've been told that speed equalization doesn't equalize attacks or projectiles, and that's honestly part of what this issue stems from. Even if it did equalize those, that would also be weird. You'd have things like Subsonic CtG lightning bolts and MHS+ machinegun bullets, and characters with a limited number of ranged options would inevitably become fodder.

in Example 2: we equalize attack speed, so those projectiles would become MHS too.

I would assume it's because there'd be no reason to scale the lower person to the higher person, when the person with lower speed has no feats of being faster, but the faster person has feats of being slower.

Back