• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What is this. The Merchant revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaChi2

VS Battles
Retired
The Merchant

Regenerationn

Immortality types 3 and 4.

Possibly resistance to Mind manipulation

Resurrection

This things are very, very, very iffy. For one, those immortalities and resurrection are 100% game mechanics to prevent the player from simply killing him and pretty much having to reset the game because they lose the ability to purchase weapons and upgrade them. The Merchant dies even if you shoot him in the foot and wont spawn in that place but in the other locations, which makes the resurrection thing fishy to say the least. And the Regenerationn is the same case.

Surprised not to see Teleportation in there btw.

Resistance to Mind hax is also very unlikely. There is no indication that The Merchant is a Ganado besides the eyes. However, there is not a single piece of evidence that the guy lived in the village, or is related to Sadler or to Salazar in any way. Also, reminding everyone that Las Plagas can be "leader type" or however it was called, that function independent to Sadler's. This is Krauser's case, btw. Also, apparently the guy doesnt die from the PRL, meaning he doesnt have Las Plagas. No Ganado.

On another note, I'd like to remove "Far higher with PRL" because the PRL is a weapon designed to target Las Plagas inside the host and kill it directly. Its more of a "anti-Las Plagas" weapon, that's why it can kill everything, nothing related to AP.

"This custom light-based weapon is tuned to harm only the Plaga, leaving the human host undamaged. Charged shots have narrow range but are powerful."

Social influencing for just being able to use flattery?

What the ****.

Danmaku with a machine gun? What?????????? Why????

I will ignore the infinite ammo thing because technically it is the merchant who sells it. But I wont oppose to it being taken down because Im sure it is game mechanics.

"This three things are very, very, very iffy. For one, those immortalities and resurrection are 100% game mechanics to prevent the player from simply killing him and pretty much having to reset the game because they lose the ability to purchase weapons and upgrade them. The Merchant dies even if you shoot him in the foot and wont spawn in that place but in the other locations, which makes the resurrection thing fishy to say the least."

They aren't though. The Merchant is clearly someone Leon met as providing him with actual weapons and also showing up in teo scenes iirc. At least one. You can literally kill him and still shows up in later levels. Even shooting him a launcher or several guns doesn't keep him down. And sure shooting him anywhere kills him. But that doesn't change the fact he still resurrects

"Surprised not to see Teleportation in there btw."

Would seem more like he just works his way around the place. Which is why he is superhuman speed. It provides he just gets around faster than Leon can. Though it could be a possibly Teleportation or Possibly Superhuman. Since we can't be entirely certain which one it is. Superhuman speed seemed more likely from what I see. But since we don't see him move a lot aside from his walking up to you. Teleportation is possible I suppose.

"Resistance to Mind hax is also very unlikely. There is no indication that The Merchant is a Ganado besides the eyes. However, there is not a single piece of evidence that the guy lived in the village, or is related to Sadler or to Salazar in any way. Also, reminding everyone that Las Plagas can be "leader type" or however it was called, that function independent to Sadler's. This is Krauser's case, btw."

Actually some data (I forgot what it's called but I will try and find where it is) that shows stuff about the merchant has a lot of stuff said to be unknown. But even the game itself says he very likely is indicacted to be one. Which is why I also put possibly. Cause we can't be entirely certain. But since the game itself even have a file saying it. It's at least worth a possible

On another note, I'd like to remove "Far higher with PRL" because the PRL is a weapon designed to target Las Plagas inside the host and kill it directly. Its more of a "anti-Las Plagas" weapon, that's why it can kill everything, nothing related to AP.

Really? Where did ya see that? If that's true, I'll remove it immediately. I had never heard of that. Though only recently heard of the weapon. So I don't doubt I could have missed that

Im fully aware that you can kill The Merchant and the merchant will still show up.

But:

1) Leon doesnt even comment about the Merchant still being alive.

2) The Merchant doesnt mention dying.

3) You never see the merchant get up or anything, he is simply standing on the next corner. Hell, you can kill the Merchant, and inmediately enter the Firing range room and he'll be there ready.

Its super heavily implied that its a game mechanic. Same way dead characters still show up in cutscenes in rpgs.

1. So? He still is a character who was killed and came back. There isn't a way of twisting that.

2. So? Doesn't need to. Death might not even be a new thing to him for all we know. He is in a village of crazy people. He may get killed all the time. We don't know. All we know is. Y'all kill him. He comes back, and not just you play the same level and he comes back, you go to different areas and he still comes back. It's intended that way.

3. Again. So? You don't need to see him get up. He is tr same merchant who comes back always. And in later levels. And the animation also shows him dying. Not even like killing an NPC and another spawning. It gives him specific animation as a task you can do.

And nothing implies it's a game mechanic. That's assuming it is based on things that aren't really strong enough arguments on their own. He clearly dies. And he comes back. Not just leave the room and he is alive again like a glitch or game mechanic. He comes back in later levels too. And consistently. So it ain't a glitch nor game mechanic. There would need to be more to prove it to be one.

Also.

Danmaku with a machine gun? What?????????? Why????

Danmaku is a rapid and multiple of attacks. Anyone with a machine gun would qualify cause it's rapid and multiple projectiles.

I will ignore the infinite ammo thing because technically it is the merchant who sells it. But I wont oppose to it being taken down because Im sure it is game mechanics.

Well the weapons are intended to have infinite ammo like the literal names infinite launcher. Regardless there's no doubt he isn't running out of ammo anytime soon.

Social influencing for just being able to use flattery?

Ehh. That was just something I was given recommendation to add. And it didn't really add much. Still literally useless in a fight in this case. Stay or remove. That ability I don't care for. Mostly added it cause I was told he would.

When you enter a room in a RPG, kill the monsters, exit the room, re-enter, and the same monsters you just killed are still there, it is game mechanics.

The Merchant is the same case. They try to prevent you from losing the ability to purchase weapons and upgrade them.

Game mechanics, dood. Nothing else. But since we reached a circular arguement I will wait for other's input.

Tbh with that inmortality and regen The Merchant would be close to be the God Tier of the verse.

When you enter a room in a RPG, kill the monsters, exit the room, re-enter, and the same monsters you just killed are still there, it is game mechanics. The Merchant is the same case. They try to prevent you from losing the ability to purchase weapons and upgrade them. Game mechanics, dood. Nothing else. But since we reached a circular arguement I will wait for other's input.

No it isn't. It's you killing him and him coming back to life in a completely different Area. Not even just the same Area. A different area is a hole. And is an acknowledged thing you can kill him as having special animation and sound to his death. That isn't a game mechanic. There was too much showing it was intended

The sounds and animation

The scenes and file that acknowledge he is a canon character

And the fact he doesn't just reappear cause RPG leave the room and come back logic. No. It's you can kill him when first meeting him. And then go to his shop later in the game And he is back. That's not a game mechanic. That's just intended to be like that.

Oh, nobody is saying that The Merchant himself is game mechanics. The dood has a cutscene and all.

The fact that he shows up in the same spots regardless of being killed with nothing to indicate that he acknowledges being killed or that Leon remembers killing him is what make us believe that its game mechanics.

Because there is nothing in the verse close to immortal or actual resurrection. If it were legit he'd have a known mechanism, a virus, anything, that explains why it happens.

Not just same spot. He only shows up in the same spot if you Go back. Which that's entering into a more game mechanic. If it was you shot him leave the area and come back and he is there. That's where you can say that's probably game mechanic

But this is you can shoot him and still find him in different areas. The reason in the same spot is cause those are the safe spots and hiding places. Remember he is in an apocalypse. We don't know if the others want to kill him. So it makes sense he would stay hidden. Leon was just someone who obviously wasn't evil and needed guns. So he approached him. But keeping hidden from those crazies makes sense. And makes sense why he hides in these safe spots and is in those spots. It's the safe area. People won't spawn in and attack. So it's meant to be a safe place.

And the merchant is also clearly different from others. Despite being implied to be one of the infected. He still has further control than the others. And can resists that call of Salder. So the fact he has a different kind of ability makes sense. You even brought up Teleportation, which I don't recall anyone in the verse having.

This is definetly gameplay mechanics, and the fact that it's being discussed makes me extremely dissapointed.

There's never a mention of:

1: Him regenerating

2: Him ressurecting

3: Him dying

This is the same thing as giving every enemy on a NES game Low-Godly regen because they respawn after you leave the screen.

Danmaku for having a machine gun is also a no, because literally nobody else has that. Plus our standards of Danmaku are a bit more... bullet helly.

Him possibly being a Ganado is purely headcanon too. Actually, a lot of this seems to be pure headcanon.

Him being a Ganado actually is a thing due to him having the same orange eyes as the infected

Changes nothing, but just saying.

I mean, you would think they would state that.

And if he is a Ganado, why in the seven hells is his Classification Human

They state nothing about the merchant, be kinda silly to make what is supposed to be a mysterious character something extremely noticeable that would give that away

Better question, since when does anyone, outside of the Ganados, have orange eyes?

I think the OP looks legit, and agree that the immortality and Regenerationn seem iffy.

Schnee One said:
Better question, since when does anyone, outside of the Ganados, have orange eyes?
The Eye of Sauron was orange.

Jokes aside, i concede on the Ganado point. The regen and danmaku points still stand tho.

I agree with the OP besides being fine with danmaki and infinite ammo

Dude, I love The Merchant and meme the shit out of him all the time with my sister - but this profile takes game mecahnics literally, and that's a big no. There's no substantial proof of anything.

I agree with Pachi 100%.

Danmaku is basically a combination of rapid fire and scatter shot. Machine Guns do have the former, but not sure on the latter. Infinite Ammo sounds like game mechanics.

The Eye of Sauron was orange.

Jokes aside, i concede on the Ganado point. The regen and danmaku points still stand tho.

I kinda said they change nothing, no need to tell me.

Either way

HEY GUYS! LETS NUKE

I mean you could swing one around if you wanted. The guy apparently sells the thing that gives you this so it's be weird for him to be unable to use his own product.

Wokistan said:
I mean you could swing one around if you wanted. The guy apparently sells the thing that gives you this so it's be weird for him to be unable to use his own product.
The Chicago Typewriter and the Infinite Rocket Launcher (only 2 infinite weapons by default, ignoring the PRL) are sold by him, yes. That's why it may be fine.

Can someone edit the profile?

I edited the profile:

Removed the Immortalities, Resurrection, Regen, Danmaku, Social Influencing and "far higher with PRL".

Yea they are. Just firing it creates dozens of projectiles that shoot in a slightly spreader out fashion. And even moving starts to create danmaku cause it makes it even more spread shot. Most automatic guns can qualify under it

It doesnt matter anyway. Calling it danmaku or not, everyone knows how a machine gun operates. If you wanna call it Danmaku for the sake of making it sound cooler, its meaningless.

For the sake of being conservative, Weapon Mastery is also... How to put it, featless. The Merchant knows how to upgrade weaponry, how weaponsn work, etc. But nothing implies that he is good using them.

Its the same as knowing all the physical principles behind how a pitcher throws a ball and doing it yourself. There is a world of difference. Or how being an engineer now turns you into a racing pilot.

"Is extremely knowledgeable on guns, Able to improve their statistics, due to his high knowledge on weapons and how they work, it's very likely he knows how to use them very well)"

This is nothing but speculation. I will remove the ability when I have the time if everyone agrees.

@Buttersamuri

Machine Guns are definitly not Danmaku. Danmaku requires a extremly wide and rapid coverage of projectiles. A machine gun can only shoot in a straight line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back