• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Starbound Updates

Saikou_The_Lewd_King

The King of all Things Lewd
VS Battles
Retired
Since the final version of Starbound is now out, I think some update would be required.

First of all, MFTL+ speed.

Technology in the Starbound verse lets people teleport accross the entire universe with ease. As many text in the game points out, the game does seems to take place across the entire universe. Note that at the very least, it's canon for the teleportation to teleport through interstellar distances in seconds, as you need to be teleported to various places in the universe for the story to progress.

Now this makes the teleportation MFTL+. But it does scale to the characters' reaction and possibly combat and movement speed.

All ships are equipped with teleporters. Their only (At first), most important and main feature is teleport the player to the planet right below the ship (Orbital distance). One thing to note is what the Protags says of the ship's teleporter:

"A teleporter. Teleporting feels like diving into the ocean from a mountain top."

"The teleporter! Teleporting feels like flying."

"Smug. A teleporter. I am able to enter a sleep mode during the teleport process."

So the protag's brain is fast enough to feel and even sleep when teleporting. Said teleporting takes place in the timeframe it takes for a universe-crossing beam to travel orbital height. Sadly I cannot calc it without stat calcing, but there is no way it isn't MFTL+ reactions for them.

This is further proven by the fact that the player can react to the beam sent by Dreadwing's ships, which seems to be a similar teleporter.

I'm not sure about this, but since other character can blitze said reactions either via sword swings or physically ramming, it probably scales to Movement and Combat. TL;DR: MFTL+ for everyone.

Secondly: Due to the Player Characters being capable of moving alongside light beams early on game , all tiers of 8-A would most likely become 7-A (Ignore the reaction part of the calc). if anyone questions the legitimacy of the Light, it acts and looks like light, it has been called light by quite complex analyser and it's produced by a crystal (The same kind that creates light otherwise)

Finally: The scaling to The Rui . In the Final Fight, the player fights the Ruin's core and wins. Some may find it doubtful if destroying the core makes it scalable to the full AP. But considering its outside (Which tanked hits from the Cultivator) is the same as the inside destroyed, I'd say it's safe to says it scales. TL;DR: 5-A, likely 4-B scales to all End Game races, that-one-ninja-chick, The Bone Dragon, partially Big Ape and possibly Kluex's avatar (And the fictional myth variant of Kluex itself).

Ultimate TL;DR: Everyone: MFTL+. Low Tier: 7-A. High Tier: 5-A to 4-B.

Annoyingly, a glitch wiped out my 1.0.1..Glitch so I wasn't able to get far in the story. Still, these seem very legit, awesome work on it!

The one thing I don't get is the 4-B stuff, is their a calc that puts them on that level?

Personally I have been stalled at the Apex boss for a long time and is still stalling to the "finding clues" missions.

The 4-B stuff comes from The Ruin being portrayed as being large enough to reach two seperate planet at the same time. This would make its body much larger than our Sun. (The Minimum size being not that far from Typhoo 's size)

Shameless boop

Anyway, I thought Typhon being Solar System level was due to the cosmology of Greek Myth? I could be very wrong on that though.

He was like a few millions kilometers tall according to the Cosmology. So would be The Ruin if we take those drawings as legitimate.

I think the starbound characters should have their attack potency buffed to 4-B, but their durability should stay the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after the ruin explodes, the player dies too. But they are 'ressurected' by some random entity.

Except if we take in PVP, then their durability gets buffed to 4-B.

Starbound player trades blows with others on their level all the time. And they use melee attacks, which should scale to Dura.

Note that the Ruin's explosion also destroyed the Ruin, so we can deduce that it was just powerful enough to kill them both.

@Zany. If their pshyical AP is drastically higher than their durability, then they would quite literally kill themselves from the force of each blow they deliver.

Anyway, I'll highlight this so it gets more traffic.

This seems to be incoherently written and poorly motivated, especially scaling characters from teleporting speed.

The scaling off of Teleporation comes from the fact that dialouge clearly states that they can react to it. They can also move along side light (which Saikou calculated at 0.28cwhich Saikou calculated at 0.28c) and are capable of keeping up with Spaceships that travel the Galaxy in reasonably short timespans.

How long time periods does the teleportation take? If it is not near instantaneous, their reactions are likely irrelevant.

Please explain how specifically that they move alongside light, and keep up with spaceships?

That I cannot do, Starbound barely works on my PC so I could never get far, Saikou or Zany should be able to explain better.

Darkanine said:
That I cannot do, Starbound barely works on my PC so I could never get far, Saikou or Zany should be able to explain better.
Because It's optimized worse than a potato clock. Seriously, I can run Lords of Shadow 2 at max and get stuttering stanley syndrome when playing Starbound.

So, with these upgrades...

The upgrade regarding the teleportation sounds a bit iffy, as time usually dilates when you are travelling at superluminal speeds and stuff. Not sure about this one, although do keep in a person moving inside a fast travelling object/train does not mean said person has speed/reactions as fast as the train.

Otherwise, they would only need a few seconds in terms of sleep time, which is way too short.

The calculation regarding KE of player is correct for the most part, as I am getting the same value as well. I think it is okay to upgrade the player character from 8-A to 7-A, and all those who scale to it.

The one regarding the ruins seems iffy for the most part, but considering that the size was described as the distance between two planets [going to use Venus and Earth here], it is at least going to be many times wider than our sun.

The distance between Venus and Earth is about 41,400,000km [1]

Also, would there be a picture of the ruins so I can see what it looks like?

@Ant For the teleportation, basic gist is that the characters can feel/sleep in the timeframe it takes for a MFTL+ teleportation to travel a distance of around 400 km.

It is also supported by the fact that the characters can also normally react to teleportation beams of similar nature.

The actual timeframe it takes for the teleportation to travel is unclear, as the teleportation timeframe is just a loading screen. It shouldn't be very long however.

@Lina Time Dilatation would make it so that time would feel stopped at just light speed. I don't think it's reasonable to assume it dilate time in a normal way.

We don't have a clear picture of the Ruin as a whole compared to other object. We only have the depiction used in its current profiles picture. I'm aware the planets looks much closer than usual, but I think it's more like a simplification of the drawing.

Well, I still think that the scaling from teleportation seems extremely suspicious. If they could move at MFTL+ speeds, why would they need a teleporter for travelling a mere 400 km anyway? It seems like a massive illogical plot hole.

As for the kinetic energy, we have a page for such feats, but within fiction, speed and attack potency are recurrently kept as separate concepts. It depends on whether the coherence is supported or contradicted by the general power displays.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
@Ant For the teleportation, basic gist is that the characters can feel/sleep in the timeframe it takes for a MFTL+ teleportation to travel a distance of around 400 km.
It is also supported by the fact that the characters can also normally react to teleportation beams of similar nature.

The actual timeframe it takes for the teleportation to travel is unclear, as the teleportation timeframe is just a loading screen. It shouldn't be very long however.

@Lina Time Dilatation would make it so that time would feel stopped at just light speed. I don't think it's reasonable to assume it dilate time in a normal way.

We don't have a clear picture of the Ruin as a whole compared to other object. We only have the depiction used in its current profiles picture. I'm aware the planets looks much closer than usual, but I think it's more like a simplification of the drawing.
To be precise, the ruin's size, in the cutscene where it explodes after the player defeats the heart of it, is akin to that of one of the planets.

Here is a clip of the ending, which shows the ruin itself, at 5:42.

https://youtu.be/SV1UgITZUcE?t=342

How long time periods does the teleportation take? If it is not near instantaneous, their reactions are likely irrelevant.
Please explain how specifically that they move alongside light, and keep up with spaceships?

The teleporting time only takes a few seconds to my knowledge, mainly around 6-10 seconds from my experience.

@Ant: Keep in mind that we do use the KE formula for characters shown to me moving at a certain speed, such as Quiksilver .

That said, the ruins shown in the video above looks more like a planet to me, so I am guessing it's about as big as one.

Perhaps the rating shown below would be sufficient:

Tier: At least 5-A, possibly higher

Well, it depends on a case by case basis. The Marvel Comics version of Quicksilver has never demonstrated any particular striking power, for example.

Considering the new rules about KE, the City level stats may not be accurate anymore I'm afraid.

Unless I'm wrong, the Planet level stuff and MFTL+ stuff should stay?

Well, we still calc KE from projecties right? Assuming the bullets don't move faster than the in-game light you might be able to get a result from that.

I agree with the Planet level stuff.

I'm pretty sure the 6-A glitch stuff isn't canon anymore, the Doom Lord's set doesn't have the 'Earth rattling' feat. Instead, the description was entirely replaced.

Alongside that, if the universalist set is supposedly the one with the 'forged inside a dead star' thing, it had a description change too.

For now, we have 5-A starbound races at endgame.

@Zany Well now, none of these two really matters anymore to the tiering, due to The Ruin.

@Dark I'd rather use the melee weapon the player is carrying. If we have a consisency problem, there is always the Energy to Mass thing that most ranged weapons do.

I did a rough calcs with melee weapon weight and I got 1 - 5 Megatons.

We can still calculate KE if a character is holding something, right? If so we can add early game armor weight to the players weight. If we do it like that then I get....437 Gigatons.

I might've messed something up..

Well I think it only applies to weapons and such, armor probably doesn't apply, since it's like using the character themselves. We'd have to find one of the heaviest weapon and use its weight alongside it.

Weight of really big IRL swords is apparently 14 lbs, and since Starbound weapons should be greater, perhaps we can start there?

Back