• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Stomp Threads: Slight Addition and not so slight Exception

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
Additio

The current stomp definition is "A Stomp thread is when one character is immediately able to win against another, whether it is via battlefield removal, incapacitation or killing, with the opponent having no chance to retort with their own abilities or statistics. "

There is another kind of stomp however, which is if one character is physically incapable of winning, for example because not being able to hit intangibles, overcoming the Regenerationn or the opponent being too durable or fast. In this cases there doesn't have to be an immediate win, the match could take centuries, but it is still a stomp.

Exceptio
Now to the main part. I'm sure many of us had threads were feats had to be closely analyzed regarding how impressive they were, there was deep debate on what the characters would or wouldn't do or, maybe more commonly, there were long debates on how one power would interact with another power.

And then after 100 posts of debate and lots of back and forth a conclusion is reached on all the stuff and as it turns out the fight will be a stomp and can hence not be added.

I'm sure some people will agree with me, if I say that it just doesn't make sense to not add the results at that point.

The fight might be a stomp in the real fighting scenario, but it wasn't really a stomp from a debate perspective.

In other words it was worthy of debate as the result wasn't obvious just from a simple comparison of the profiles.

Why do we even add fighting results to profiles? The main reason is that debates can add to a deeper understanding of the characters fighting ability. E.g. a characters fighting style is something we don't explain on profiles (*cough* we should start doing that *cough*).

From this perspective the kind of debates mentioned above are often a lot more valueable then your average fair fight.

So what do I suggest in detail? The rules should be modified from

"A stomp thread cannot be added to the profiles of either character, regardless of the popularity of the match-up or the quality of the thread."

to

"A stomp thread cannot be added to the profiles of either character, regardless of the popularity of the match-up. The only exception is if the thread was debate worthy, that is if it only became clear that a character would stomp after in depth discussion about details that are not obvious from reading the profile." or something like that.

Opinions?

I'm good with the addition, that problem so far hasn't happened but at least now will be written.

I have no problems with the exception neither (but nothing beyond that), although is not likely it happen often.

I have to agree.

Somewhat unralated, but wouldn't winning on tought also fall into the stomp category?

Ricsi-viragosi said:
Somewhat unralated, but wouldn't winning on tought also fall into the stomp category?
What do you mean with "winning on thought"? Like, killing the opponent with a thought before it can do anything? If so that falls under winning immediately.

Well, yeah.

MrKingOfNegativity described it as only outpacing on the fight between psylocke and sans, so I wasn't really sure.

Ricsi-viragosi wrote

Depends of the oppoent can do something just as quickly, or slightly slower, like with a hand gesture or something, and even if the opponent didn't think, how he could kill him.

I mean, sans can't really move his hand nowhere near that fast, but I don't want to derail this.

Not sure how I feel about stomps being added due to having had a good debate to be honest tough.

Back