• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question on pixel scaling from image

GarrixianXD

University Enthusiast
Any/All
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Administrator
Content Moderator
Translation Helper
How does it work exactly?Like how do I exactly determine the length of an object or explosion from looking at pixels?

Quoting my son Bambu on how to pixelscale:

"Alright, rad.

First get an image where you know the size of some element, as close to the element you want to know the size of as possible. Finding the height of a giant might require knowledge of the width of his finger, the height of his toe, whatever. Once you have both in frame and ready to compare, take that image and put it in GIMP.

When in GIMP, choose a drawing tool- I use the paint brush. Draw a dot at one end of the element you know the size of, and then hold Shift- it will then prompt you to draw a straight line to wherever your mouse cursor is. If you want, you can also hold Ctrl, and it will restrict the line to angles. When holding shift like that, at the bottom of your screen you will see a bit of text telling you how many pixels long that line is. Take note of that and place the line to represent the entire length of the known element (so, in the last example, this first line would be the width of his finger).

Change the color you're drawing with and repeat the process, this time for the unknown element (the height of the giant). Make a point at one extreme of the element (the giant's head) and, while holding shift, see how many pixels the line would be if it extended to the other extreme (his feet). Take note of the number and place the line.

Now it's just math. You know the size of one element (let's say that from a previous calculation, we established his finger to be 18 cm wide), so that 18 cm is equal to however many pixels it is in our current image (let's say 5 pixels is the measured width of his finger). So, 18 cm / 5 px = 3.6 cm/px. Now let's say the giant has been measured at 166 pixels- we know from previous math that a single pixel is equatable to 3.6 centimeters. So 3.6 * 166 = 597.6 cm tall, or just about six meters in stature.

That's pretty much it."

"Alright, rad.

First get an image where you know the size of some element, as close to the element you want to know the size of as possible. Finding the height of a giant might require knowledge of the width of his finger, the height of his toe, whatever. Once you have both in frame and ready to compare, take that image and put it in GIMP.

When in GIMP, choose a drawing tool- I use the paint brush. Draw a dot at one end of the element you know the size of, and then hold Shift- it will then prompt you to draw a straight line to wherever your mouse cursor is. If you want, you can also hold Ctrl, and it will restrict the line to angles. When holding shift like that, at the bottom of your screen you will see a bit of text telling you how many pixels long that line is. Take note of that and place the line to represent the entire length of the known element (so, in the last example, this first line would be the width of his finger).

Change the color you're drawing with and repeat the process, this time for the unknown element (the height of the giant). Make a point at one extreme of the element (the giant's head) and, while holding shift, see how many pixels the line would be if it extended to the other extreme (his feet). Take note of the number and place the line.

Now it's just math. You know the size of one element (let's say that from a previous calculation, we established his finger to be 18 cm wide), so that 18 cm is equal to however many pixels it is in our current image (let's say 5 pixels is the measured width of his finger). So, 18 cm / 5 px = 3.6 cm/px. Now let's say the giant has been measured at 166 pixels- we know from previous math that a single pixel is equatable to 3.6 centimeters. So 3.6 * 166 = 597.6 cm tall, or just about six meters in stature.

That's pretty much it."
POV: My essay when it's 90% quotes and 10% me

"Alright, rad.

That's pretty much it."
Thanks a lot, I forgot I even created this thread

Back