• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Profiles for Characters Based on Religious Figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew_Schroeder

VS Battles
Retired
I'm am opening this topic out of general curiosity and doubt over this wiki's rules.

Yesterday I created a profiles for the version of Jesus Christ found in Xenosaga, and went to sleep soon afterwards. When I woke up, the profile had been deleted, under the explanation of it being too controversial.

This site's rules only mention Religion twice, in these sections:

• Derogatory comments on religious or political matters (both highly sensitive issues) will not be tolerated, as it almost always leads to massive hate-commenting and negativity. Doing so will result in a deletion of the post, and possibly a ban, depending on the severity.
  • Please avoid VS debating with deities featured in modern religions unless its a comics version of that deity. It is both controversial and impractical to bring up the contents of religious scriptures.
Rather straight-forward. Figures of modern religion are not allowed, but fictional versions of said figures are. Well then, the Xenosaga Jesus is not the Jesus from the Bible, he is wrapped up in a bunch of science fiction, metaphysics, jungian and Gnostic concepts that difer himself from the Bible version. Yet he is controversial. Then why are profiles for similar figures in Christianity accepted, even those were they are altered / derailed even more.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/YHVH A Christian would not find SMTs treatment of God pleasant.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/God_(Preacher) Neither would them be fine with this.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/The_Authority Or this.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Michael_(Bastard!!) ... I don't even need to explain why a practing Christian would be offended by this, if Xenosaga Jesus is already too controversial.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Lucifer_Morningstar Would they be fine with Lucifer being depicted on an ambiguous, yet equal level of morality as God?

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Lucifer_(Shin_Megami_Tensei) Or as being the lesser of two evils?

And this isn't limited to Judeo-Christian Religion either, though I doubt a profile for a fictional Vishnu would be locked.

Anyway, I want to hear the opinions of you people:

Should profiles for fictional version of Jesus, such as the one in Xenosaga, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and SMT (Where he is simply The Messiah), and by proxy Xenosaga Mary Magdalened be allowed?

CuriousWatcher said:
I am Christian and I am not offended by these in any way (huge fan of SMT myself) and I have not seen anyone complaining.
The Everlasting is Christian as well and he is fine with all of them. It was Ant who deleted the Xenosaga Jesus profile I made.

what ? Our Ant did that ? that's suck

And yeah, Jesus Christ of a fictional verse doesnt has anything to do with the Jesus from the Bible. His profile should be revive.

If we're going with the religious belief then that mean most of the SMT profiles will get deleted D: ( well, they've punch "God" in the face for 4 time o3o )

MagiSinbad said:
what ? Our Ant did that ? that's suck
And yeah, Jesus Christ of a fictional verse doesnt has anything to do with the Jesus from the Bible. His profile should be revive.

If we're going with the religious belief then that mean most of the SMT profiles will get deleted D: ( well, they've punch "God" in the face for 4 time o3o )
If Gender-Bend panty and garterbelt wearing Michael can have a profile, so can JRPG Jesus, imo.

I am a Christian and I'm not offended with most of these pages do not see why consider fictional works as influence the Bible, and the Mythology page deals with current religions and still keep it

@Magi

Xenosaga.

Anyway, as Matt said, this profile really isn't that controversial, especially since the fiction in question is not remotely trying to portray Jesus in a negative light from what I've seen, this is simply an alternative version of Jesus found in the game Xenosaga. And as Matt said, if we allow profiles like SMT Lucifer (Who's less evil than God), Bastard Michael (Who's a female wearing very inappropriate attire), or the Preacher/His Dark Materials/SMT versions of God (All of whom are portrayed as evil with no regard for the well-being of humanity), then there should be no reason we should not allow a version of Jesus not portrayed negatively.

In addition to all of this, I am a rather devoted Catholic, and I am not offended at these profiles in the absolute slightest, neither the existing ones nor the idea of the Xenosaga Jesus and Mary Magdalene being on this wiki.

Well, considering that we seem to have quite a few previous profiles of fictionalised versions of modern religious figures, I suppose that the profile in question was not so bad. I will restore it if I can find it.

It seems fine to me, if we begin banning profiles because they are to controversial, it will begin violating rights of freedom and expression. Yet even so I believe this Wikia should include works of well respect,fictions only though because quality >>>>>>opness, or at least a certain level of quality.

In that case I think Ironman>>>superman because he has a more interesting character, and a more interesting story that isn't predictable.

By contianing characters that are from a joke of a story it would degrade all other respected existing fictions.

Well, wikia as a whole has certain standards/regulations that we have to follow, and in addition we are trying to keep this wiki all-ages accessible, so although I agree for these types of profiles, we still have the front page rules for good reasons.

In any case, this topic has been settled, so I will close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back