• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Bros. Series Scalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello users! It's been a long time since I've created a discussion like this that "can" involve dramatic changes in status in the series. I was already missing…

As we all know, a lot of discussions have recently been going on about the verse, and I can without fear draw the conclusion that the verse is a mess.

For starters, it has no official canon, the chronology of the verse is totally meaningless or non-existent, some events connect and Mario seems to have different stats in each game, which due to canonicity and inconsistency, gave him a Tier that "Varies".

The problem I want to stay in is the Tier that varies. The fact that in each game it has a different level implies that in each game it is different, and this totally messes the scale.

For example, he had a Star level feat in Super Mario Galaxy, so it is at least Star level in Super Mario Galaxy.

Despite this, the Koopalings are scaled to this feat, being that Mario did not have star level in none of the games that they faced. He only showed that level in Super Mario Galaxy so only the enemies of Super Mario Galaxy could escalate to that feat. And figures from other games should be scaled to the feats of the games in which they appeared.

There is no reason to say that Smithy, the Koopalings, Geno, and others have Star level because of the supernova. Assuming that the Marioverse has no chronology or canon, what it does in one game has no influence on what happens in another, with totally different events, totally different story and exploits totally different from the one in which it appeared.

I believe that, like other works like Marvel and Pokémon, the Marioverse should have a different form of scale, which does not consider it as a common work that has a chronological line from one game to another. We already have adaptations on some pages like Tier Varies, so I do not see any problem in getting a better way to classify them.

I will inform Dino Ranger Black about this thread.

There's nothing odd about it since it's warrant at this point. Especially when they fought him with his paper counterpart in Paper Jam, who can execute a special move called Trio Attack where he turns the enemies he's fighting against into paper and creates a realm for him and the Mario Bros to attack him in. One of these attacks, called Trio Meteor, has him creating a realm with multiple stars in the background and yes, they aren't made of paper. .The variable stats are already present in the Koopalings as well, so there's really no issue there.

The Koopalings have fought Mario multiple number of times and unlike other characters he fought, there are often treated as formidible opponents rather than just mere obstacles or characters we know from previous game. For the SMRPG characters, the playable cast are comparable to each other like your typical RPG and the characters who debuted in this game didn't appear in future or previous title that might suggest otherwise. Scaling them to the character's higher ends is pretty warrant for them. There is really no need to have one. Despite varying tier, it's not that hard to compare the characters in terms of strength. It's really depedant on their role and how formidble they are treated. Take the Kirby verse, certian characters like Kracko fought Kirby numerous times but is only Planet level since he fought Knuckle Joe and clearly isn't on the same level while Nightmare, barring the Kirby Quest minigame, appeared once and is scaled to Kirby's high end. It's quite clear that the Koopalings and the SMRPG cast are formidible as the recurring cast hence why their stats are scaled off of him.

Also just because there's no canon in the franchise, doesn't mean there's no connection btw any of the games or characters unless stated otherwise. The series and creators indeed have referenced past games and activities in recent titles and as such, every event that occured in the series should not be treated as a seperate canon. For example, in Paper Jam which the Koopalings are fought in, Toadette mentioned her adventures with Captain Toad, a character who, along with Rosalina, debuted in the Galaxy series and appeared in SM3DW, with Rosalina confirmed to appeared in SMW3DW right after SMG. Adding more to this is the fact Captain Toad, has his own game that is linked to the events of SM3DW, thus rebutting the claim that recent games and events in the series that follows has nothing to do with SMG. So no, the stats will not be changing and connection should not be an issue, unless we should discuss about different source of media such as the comics or tv series.

I've brought up very similar concerns as this. While I still have some slight doubts Dino has made some rather good points in the past including right now and ultimately I'd trust his judgement.

Which ever decision is made I'm fine with.

@Ryu

If you still have concerns with this, you can message my wall. We can discuss the the options you suggest. Kevyn, you as well.

Well, I think it would be a little weird seeing figures like Lemmy with Star level, but maybe it's downplay mine.

You can close this thread if you wish.

Not as weird as Big the Cat being FTL but could be underestimation on my part as well. If you still wish to discuss this, just message me and we can suggest other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back