• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MapleStory Luminous Teleportation Scaling

Reppuzan

VS Battles
Retired
On my last thread no one really seemed to address this (my calc was rejected on the basis of cinematic timing) so I'm going to ask again. Since Luminous's teleportation is called "Light Speed" in the Global release and "Light Transformation" in the original Korean release, can this be considered light speed (since he's implied to transform into light before reappearing due to his affinity with Light Magic and the fact that he's intangible for a brief period after finishing his teleportation).

If so, this would scale to a number of characters.

For instance, in Luminous's trailer (which depicts his one on one fight with the Black Mage), the latter manages to react to Luminous's teleportation by guiding his black chains right where Luminous would reappear.

Assuming that his teleportation is actually lightspeed, this means that the Black Mage has light speed reactions and combat speed.

Just prior to this Freud (who Evan scales to), Shade, Mercedes, and the Demon all took their shots at the Black Mage and held their own for an extended amount of time, and thus this would scale to them as well.

In addition, Phantom showed the ability to take Luminous by surprise by punting him through a wall before the latter could react even though they were both bloodlusted by their previous argument.

Thus all the Heroes would have similar reaction speed.

Due to the fact that all of the Black Mage Commanders have fought the Heroes in the past and (lived to tell of it until the present day) this would in turn scale to them (and thus to the people who canonically fight them, such as Kaiser and Angelic Buster).

Thoughts?

Man it's been a while since i've heard of Maplestory. I wonder if a lot of people still play it though...

Anyways, i'm about the same as Everlasting....at least until someone might say something that they might point out there to be a problem on this.....i don;t know, this seems fine to me.

It's been a while, so would it be alright to add this as their speed?

Well crud, I've started making changes already (didn't think this thread was going to get any attention anyhow). But that would be nice I suppose.

From what I can see in the movie, this strictly appears to be intended as an extremely brief/temporary "teleportation" style move, not his regular movement speed. It seems extremely farfetched to scale every single character in MapleStory as moving at lightspeed because of it.

For example, the Marvel character Nightcrawler can perform near instant teleportations, but his running speed is close to human level.

So, I would appreciate if you would change back any profiles that you have modified to lightspeed because of this. You can however mention that his teleportation technique is really just him moving between two places in the form of light.

Alright, I've only scaled this to the heroes (his peers who have fought him in spars and over petty arguments), the Transcendences (people like the Black Mage who are far above practically every character in the series), Kaiser, and Angelic Buster (who fought Magnus who blitzed another Black Mage Commander before either could react).

I'll also explictly mention "combat speed" rather than movement speed.

Is this reasonable?

No. For reasons that I mentioned above.

I would appreciate if you would change them all back.

Okay, so what would I leave them at? All of them have faced lightning, meteor-based, and laser type attacks, but their speed is hard to pinpoint.

It's pretty clear that there isn't a large MapleStory base (heck, I think I might be the only one actively playing), but I'm not sure what to do at this point since everything keeps getting flat out rejected.

Teleportation speed isn't combat speed by any means and predicting where someone is going to teleport to is akin to aimdodging.

Also, it seems as if this type of teleportation requires a substantial prep time compared to how fast light moves. In that case, this is not combat speed in any way.

I agree with Alakabamm. You will have to find more reliable feats to calculate from.

Always down to the calculations huh...

Damn... this is my weak point really and I'm reluctant to ask the calc team since I've never ever gotten a response from the calc thread (which is of course, by chance and the fact that they're swamped with dozens of requests so I can't really blame them for anything other than my terrible luck).

Welp, back to the drawing board I guess.

I suppose that leaving their speed as Unknown is the best solution for now.

This wiki does not work properly for forum thread subscriptions, so the calculation team may simply not have noticed, but you can politely message them individually.

Yes, leaving their speed levels as unknown seems appropriate. As I mentioned earlier, I would appreciate if you could fix all the profiles that you modified.

I've given everyone Unknown speed for the time being (as much as I hate seeing the word) since I don't have any exact numbers on me and I still have no idea how to do pixel scaling (I lack Adobe Photoshop and only have Paint)

I just want to mention one last thing, since this is the description for Luminous' Light Speed skill (which I probably should have posted earlier but neglected to):

Light Speed: Teleport in the direction you want by becoming a beam of light. You will be invulnerable for a short time after teleporting.

I don't know how much this changes (since it says beam rather than laser or sunray), but I just thought it'd be something worth reading over.

Okay. Thanks. If you find an appropriate feat, you can directly message the calculation group, RavenSupreme, and Alakabamm.

Even if the Black Mage was reacting and act accordingly, wouldn't this still make him relativistic+ at most (this is what I have heard)?

But it seems that this looks more like teleporting rather than actually moving lightspeed. Perhaps if someone can find the speed of the chains instead (as this would scale to Luminous' combat rating). this can be used to estimate Luminous' actual combat speed/reactions as well.

I'm a bit late to this thread I suppose, but I believe their reaction speed should just be left at Relativistic like it was before rather than be scaled to their teleportation.

The feat has been shut down by Ant and DontTalk since I used too much cinematic timing and it relies on assumptions that we can't really make.

I'm still looking, but feats are hard to come by when there are so few cutscenes.

Back