• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Kardashev scale lower end

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
So for civilization profiles one is supposed to include a ranking on our modified Kardashev Scale.

However, Type 0, the lowest type, currently starts at 1 000 000 watts. That means that civilizations which produce between 0 and 1 000 000 watts have no type on that scale.

That is a problem.

Since Type -1 sounds strange, I would hence suggest to extent Type 0 down to 0 watt as bottom end.

Opinions?

The early bump catches the comment

ÔöÅ(´¢Ño´¢Ñ)ÔöøÔÖ¬Ôöù (´¢Ño´¢Ñ) Ôöô ÔÖ½ÔÖ¬(ÔöîÒâ╗ÒÇéÒâ╗)Ôöî

I believe the modified Kardashev Scale is still based off of the original; so the scale starts at roughly Industrialization Age Humanity levels of energy harnessing. The explanation itself even says a "Significant portion" of the energy of it's home planet.

If they don't have a place on the scale, pretty sure that means that according to the kardashev scale it means that they basically have little to no advanced technologies that's worthwhile.

Sure, but for our purposes we still have to list those kind of civilizations as something in order to complete the profiles.

Wouldn't they just not qualify as civilizations at all under the Kardashev scale?

Wokistan said:
Wouldn't they just not qualify as civilizations at all under the Kardashev scale?
With the real one, maybe, I don't know. But for our purposes it makes no sense to say "the civilization needs to be at least this advanced to get a page".

In Owari no Chronicle I for example have a civilization of sentient stones that were the main population of a universe (they have concept manipulation in ultra calculation power). I would argue that they are notable even if they don't reach the current lower border on the scale.

Type -1 maybe? Jokes aside, I think the low end could be downgraded to just producing 0 watts yes.

Should I post this in the highlights thread? Given that it is technically a tiering system change that might be justified...

I think you can, it affects the civilization tiering. Or at least you can ask Matthew Schroeder since he's the one who made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back