• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

How to Determine Reactions/Perception Speed

So I went to the Reactions page and it didn't really answer much of my questions, as it seems to be just a guideline for speed tiering. All I can gather is that you determine reaction/perception based on a character perceiving or reacting to an X object traveling at Y speed, which gets all iffy when it goes to calc territories.

But basically the question is how do you determine the perception/reaction speed (as it corresponds to the Reactions page tier list of speed) based on "time slowed down by X" statements?
For example, Alibaba Saluja from Magi can perceive the world in slow motion. For him, more than a hundred years pass within 2 days. What would his Reactions speed be, based on that statement?

Reaction speed and Perception are two different things; the former is simply being able to physically react at X speeds. Basically it's defensive combat speed, where as combat speed is for offensive and defensive reactions. Perception is just being able to see faster or mentally react in a mere fraction of a second. Reaction time is meaningless speed wise without distance traveled to go with it.

Well if it is ratio of 100 yrs to 2days than...

100×365÷2= 3650×5 = 18250 times normal human perception I guess....
Normal human has eye can percieve world in 1/16 seconds of time...if I remember correctly.....think of it as human FPS sort of...so for us each frame lasts for 1/16 second....but take this with a grain of salt...my numbers may not be entirely correct

This is only perception speed mind you....dunno beyond that for reaction speed or beyond....DDM answered that.

Last edited:
Reaction speed and Perception are two different things; the former is simply being able to physically react at X speeds. Basically it's defensive combat speed, where as combat speed is for offensive and defensive reactions. Perception is just being able to see faster or mentally react in a mere fraction of a second. Reaction time is meaningless speed wise without distance traveled to go with it.
You're right but the Reaction Page lists perception speed somehow.
I'm not really sure what you mean with the latter. The example I posted is still a meaningful speed feat, I just have no idea how to rate it in an exact way (or if such a method even exist in the first place).

If a hundred years pass for Alibaba within 2 days, then a single second would feel like about 5 hours for him. Which means a projectile moving at 343000 m/s would be moving at around 19 m/s from Alibaba's perspective assuming my brain math is functioning correctly here (343000m/5h).

Of course, this doesn't mean that the character would be able to dodge said projectile but that's beside the point and most characters would be close to their perception speed anyways.

Back