• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Goosebumps: Slappy CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gewsbumpz_dude

Username Only
Been a while since I've done a CRT on this guy. This will mostly be a showcase of things I've managed to put together off-site.

Reactive Evolution
There are two instances of this ability for Slappy, showing that he can gain resistances and new abilities on the fly via exposure.

1. In Goosebumps Live on Stage, he was first exposed to Monster Blood and became a giant because of it (Hence the existence of his second key). After this first contact, he seemingly became immune to Monster Blood, so much so that he can casually stand in a room literally flooded with the stuff, as we see other people (Besides Chiller) succumb to it.
2. In the book Slappy in Dreamland, after being hooked up to a sleep lab machine that can detect dreams, Slappy gained the power to outright control and invade dreams. It is explicitly said, by Slappy himself, that he gained this ability because of the machine (Said machine can only detect when someone is having a dream. It has no other functions). Granted, there are other possible moments of Slappy having Dream Manipulation, but this was the first time where the dream fuckery was explicitly because of Slappy.

I think this is pretty straightforward, and fits in the definition of the power. To add on top of this, Slappy's magical power grows quickly overtime as detailed on his profile. Adding further evidence on his ability to "evolve".

Abstract Existence
Slappy's ghost form already has AE, but it is listed as a "possibly". Looking back at it now, not sure why I put it there. The reasoning for it is pretty straightforward; The sorcerer that made him (Whether that be Slappy back when he was a human, or a separate character) put his evil inside the doll as a form of a "spirit", and Slappy's twisted equivalent to a soul is referred also as his evil time and time again. This even holds up with the newer books like Slappy Beware!, with Ephraim Darkwell putting his evil inside Slappy with the classic Karru Marri spell. The official trailer for the same book also refers to Slappy as evil itself. Even the book Slappy's Nightmare supports this, with it saying that he isn't just a simple toy or puppet, but rather evil in regards to his being.

Resistance to Possession, and other abilities of The Haunted Mask
In Enter Horrorland, there is this whole section where the player fights Slappy while he is wearing the Haunted Mask. It isn't actually said that the Haunted Mask took over Slappy here, and if anything it is contradicted, as during this whole fight we see skeletons magically put together and brought to life in order to attack the player. The Haunted Mask has never shown any sort of Necromancy, while Slappy has, with him bringing a whole ass dinosaur skeleton to life in The Dummy Meets the Mummy.

Him wearing the Haunted Mask without it taking him over would not only give him a resistance to Possession, but also provides further justification for mind hax resistance, and a resistance to Fusionism (The Haunted Mask fuses with the wearer, and Slappy wore the mask for an extended period of time, yet despite that, Mr. Wood was able to knock it off with a simple slingshot.

Soul Manipulation and/or Conceptual Manipulation (Type 3)
As said above, the wizard that created him gave him life by putting his abstract evil inside him, which also doubled as a soul for Slappy. Depending on the legend of Slappy's origin you use, Slappy is either the wizard himself, or is a product of said wizard. If you accept the latter story, he would still have this via scaling above him, as not only did Slappy impress his creator with his magical power on his first time using it, but has grown to where he became more knowledgeable in the same magic that Darkwell gave to him, with Slappy considering him a bad wizard in comparison.

So with that, we can determine that Slappy can affect spiritual and abstract things with his magic. Regardless if you consider this worthy enough to warrant concept hax, this would be soul hax.

Edit: This last bit would also warrant Sealing. Forgot to mention that at first.

Fin.

Last edited:
I agree with Reactive Evolution and Soul Manipulation but have issues with the other stuff.

First, while it says evil, it doesn't say a twisted equivalent to a soul but just "evil soul" which would just mean the evil that was put inside him was an evil spirit. The other stuff like that trailer just sounds like they are saying he's pure evil (as a character), not an abstract entity.

For the resistance to possession, the haunted mask not displaying necromancy doesn't mean Slapp is in control, just that it can use Slappy's abilities while possessing him. It's a standard thing shown in many fiction so you'd need more than that as evidence. Maybe the argument about the mask not fusing with him despite him wearing it for some time but even then I wouldn't bank on it and would suggest a possible resistance to haunted mask stuff.

First, while it says evil, it doesn't say a twisted equivalent to a soul but just "evil soul" which would just mean the evil that was put inside him was an evil spirit. The other stuff like that trailer just sounds like they are saying he's pure evil (as a character), not an abstract entity.
But with the Ephraim Darkwell legend, it specifically says that he put his evil inside of Slappy, no mention of a soul unless you want to argue that he put part of his soul in him (Which isn't really implied, both in the story or in effect). This evil is only referred as an evil spirit in the book once, and it could just be because the author of the diary that is saying this doesn't know what else to compare this noncorporeal "evil" to. Along with that, "spirit" isn't a term exclusive to souls, it can also mean and has been used to refer to supernatural and incorporeal beings.

For the resistance to possession, the haunted mask not displaying necromancy doesn't mean Slapp is in control, just that it can use Slappy's abilities while possessing him. It's a standard thing shown in many fiction so you'd need more than that as evidence. Maybe the argument about the mask not fusing with him despite him wearing it for some time but even then I wouldn't bank on it and would suggest a possible resistance to haunted mask stuff.
The Haunted Mask hasn't actually shown the capability of obtaining the memories and knowledge of those it possesses. Yeah, it is a recurring thing in fiction, but it shouldn't be something inherently assumed.

But with the Ephraim Darkwell legend, it specifically says that he put his evil inside of Slappy, no mention of a soul unless you want to argue that he put part of his soul in him (Which isn't really implied, both in the story or in effect). This evil is only referred as an evil spirit in the book once, and it could just be because the author of the diary that is saying this doesn't know what else to compare this noncorporeal "evil" to. Along with that, "spirit" isn't a term exclusive to souls, it can also mean and has been used to refer to supernatural and incorporeal beings.
I guess it's fine. I'd prefer something that actually calls him an abstract but if it's just even then I sure.

The Haunted Mask hasn't actually shown the capability of obtaining the memories and knowledge of those it possesses. Yeah, it is a recurring thing in fiction, but it shouldn't be something inherently assumed.
Has it ever needed to use said abilities or memories? Cause if it mainly possessed people with little to no powers, obviously it wouldn't be shown using them.

I guess it's fine. I'd prefer something that actually calls him an abstract but if it's just even then I sure.
With that, it probably would be best to list it as a "likely" power.

Has it ever needed to use said abilities or memories? Cause if it mainly possessed people with little to no powers, obviously it wouldn't be shown using them.
With the abilities yeah (Although given its destructive nature, I feel like it would have done a lot more with Slappy's powers if it had access to them. Especially since it doesn't have the same problem of playing with its victims), but for memories? I feel like that would be a notable ability for it to have, and it hasn't actually been shown anywhere unless you can provide evidence for it.

Feels funny that I made this CRT about Slappy around the same time that Goosebumps HorrorTown made an event about Slappy being in a love triangle....with a kid.

Perfect timing.

Edit: Would also be the third time, across several incarnations, that Slappy had demonstrated some creepy shit like that.

With the abilities yeah (Although given its destructive nature, I feel like it would have done a lot more with Slappy's powers if it had access to them. Especially since it doesn't have the same problem of playing with its victims), but for memories? I feel like that would be a notable ability for it to have, and it hasn't actually been shown anywhere unless you can provide evidence for it.
Hard disagreement on that. It having all his powers and not using the more destructive versions of Slappys abilities just means it didn't. It's the same reason why there are characters with hax abilities don't always spam them because they just don't. Regardless, my stance isn't changing but considering another staff member agrees with the addition as well as other users, it would still be able to be applied since there is enough support.

Regardless either way, there isn't any proof that the Haunted Mask can gain the knowledge of those who wear it. That was the main thing I was saying in that comment.

considering another staff member agrees with the addition as well as other users, it would still be able to be applied since there is enough support.
Well, since the most controversial ability here (the abstract stuff) got accepted, I believe this can be applied then

Coolio.

Isn't there a grace period for CRTs (Its been a while since I've directly made a CRT), if so, how long do I need to wait until I can apply this stuff?

Coolio.

Isn't there a grace period for CRTs (Its been a while since I've directly made a CRT), if so, how long do I need to wait until I can apply this stuff?
It's 48 hrs since the creation of the thread, and it's been more than enough time ayy

So go right ahead and apply it. Remember to cite this thread when you do and let me know when you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back