• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Girl from Nowhere: Small Changes to Start

Before performing major revisions, I want to establish small changes to set up a good foundation. This thread proposes miscellaneous revisions to Nanno's profile in an attempt to subtly improve its reliability.

In case anyone is concerned with how the revision proposal has not many links to evidence from Girl from Nowhere itself, notice how Nanno's profile has no links to evidence. Both the profile and this content revision thread mainly use citations. Also, notice the nature of my revision proposals. I'm being more descriptive than the profile and I'm using lines of reasoning that the profile didn't make room for, while presenting some links to evidence where I have to. I would provide links to all evidence if that were convenient. Nevertheless, a lot of what I am proposing has to do with improving phrasing, improving logic, and pointing out a lack of evidence, rather than introducing entirely new things. I think the burden of proof is not on me in this case.

Powers and Abilities
Here is a list of revision proposals for the Powers and Abilities section.

The Pantanawittaya school shouldn't be considered as having conceptual manipulation, as agreed on in the thread where the idea originated from in the first place, as of post number 12 and onward. In accordance with this, the evidence related to it should be removed from the justification for Nanno having conceptual manipulation and a resistance to it.

Nanno's profile states: "Extrasensory Perception (She is always aware when someone ask or is talking about her)" with the episode Apologies cited, presumably referring to the scene where Nanno hears the boys talking about her to their coach from a few meters away. It doesn't take the sixth sense ability to detect energy signatures to do this whatsoever, so the evidence should be attributed to something else like enhanced senses, which itself is an over-exaggeration, due to how Nanno most likely inferred that the conversation was about her when she heard part of it close by, rather than having heard the entirety of it starting from when she was in a different room. It wouldn't decrease the accuracy of Nanno's profile to entirely remove this evidence and ability.

Nanno's profile states: "Enhanced Senses (She is always aware when someone is looking at her, she is always aware where everyone is, she is aware if someone is lying, she can understand the thoughts of everyone just by looking at their expressions, even if it is a fake expression)" with various episodes cited as singular examples of Nanno having awareness of these kinds of things. While I agree that Nanno has enhanced senses, what is currently written to justify it mostly only has to do with Nanno being clever enough to have impressive situational awareness. I think phrasing the justification as the following would be more accurate: "Enhanced Senses (It's difficult to keep a secret from Nanno even if she's not physically present to intimately investigate the matter)" I'll make sure the references cite Hi-So, Social Love, Thank You Teacher and Pregnant.

Nanno's profile having both "Pain Tolerance" and "Resistance to Pain Manipulation" is redundant. There should only be one of them.

Nanno's profile states, as a justification for Transcendental Immortality: "Nanno probably has a true form because she was stated by Chicha Amatayakul to be the Devil's daughter that visit humans to bring karma, but it's unknown if Chicha's statement is accurate or not" with "[Live] Dek-D พูดคุยกับ "คิทตี้ ชิชา" แนนโน๊ะ นักเรียนสุดฉาวจากเด็กใหม่ The Series" cited. Even in the case that the statement is accurate, being the Devil's daughter who visits humans to bring karma isn't evidence of Nanno having a true form that exists independently from the plane where she can be killed. The statement just means that Nanno travels back and forth from Hell to Earth, as more evidence for dimensional travel.

Nanno's profile states: "Morality Manipulation and Madness Manipulation (She can make good people do bad things they normally would never do, she made a teacher's madness worse and made her kill the school's principal, all the students and then commit suicide)" with the episodes Trophy and Thank You Teacher cited. The superpowers mortality manipulation and madness manipulation directly tamper with what they forcefully manipulate, but Nanno didn't do that and she instead used social influencing to achieve what she did. This is especially the case in Thank You Teacher, which I will explain as an example. It makes no sense for Nanno to have supernaturally forced Ms. Aum's insanity to become stronger to the point Ms. Aum killed everyone at the school's deputy director's (Christmas themed) retirement party, when Nanno considered Ms. Aum as pathetic for failing at life due to her lethal actions. Nanno encouraged Ms. Aum to revolutionize the education system, but that was Nanno testing to see whether or not Ms. Aum would really try mass murder or a reasonable method. The dialogue and context clearly indicates that Nanno wasn't freely controlling Ms. Aum's insanity, and the way the story ended demonstrates how different perspectives can influence the sense of justice that people may have. See for yourself: Here is a link to the footage I saved on Imgur.

Nanno's profile states: "Probability Manipulation (She knows she would never get hit by a bullet at Russian roulette)" with the episode Hi-So cited, referring to the Russian roulette scene where, upon it being her turn to see if she would get shot, she had a deadpan expression and didn't even flinch upon the trigger of the revolver having been pressed. Knowing doesn't mean controlling though, so the only evidence isn't a good justification. I think Nanno was able to tell that she wouldn't have lost at Russian roulette by looking at the bullet when it was inserted into the revolver's cylinder container and by being able to tell where it was after the cylinder container rotated. Obviously, it would be difficult for a regular person to tell based on this, but Nanno isn't a regular person.

Nanno's profile states: "Empathic Manipulation (Nanno's power is behind the powers of the Wonderwall, that can that can make people fall in love, she is excellent at creating mass hysteria and getting people to kill each other and themselves)" with Wonderwall Part 1 and BFF Part 2 cited. The first example is valid, but the second one has the same problem as with mortality manipulation and empathic manipulation. Nanno caused mass hysteria in the targets of the BFF story by having put them in a fake matter of life and death situation, after she revealed how distrusting the supposed best friends really were of each other. That was social influencing, not empathic manipulation.

Nanno's profile states: "Life Manipulation (She can create life as shown when she made a man become pregnant)" with the episode Pregnant cited. Nanno used biology manipulation to make Nanai pregnant despite biologically being male, which is already mentioned on the profile, and that's where the supernatural aspects of the situation stop. At the point where it's made possible, causing someone to become pregnant and eventually give birth isn't supernatural by itself. It's the scientific creation of life, not the "Life Manipulation" superpower creation of life.

Nanno's profile states: "Plant Manipulation (She can control the movement of the leaves)" with the episode The Rank cited, where at the start of the episode, Nanno's face got cut by a leaf that was falling nearby, which she smirked at and didn't seem bothered by. I disagree with this being significant evidence for Nanno having the superpower to control leaves. Nanno looked like she didn't know the leaf was present until it had cut her. She wasn't surprised nor bothered by having gotten cut, but that could have meant anything.

Nanno's profile states: "Possibly Invisibility (She is constantly shown to appear and disappear of the people sight, while it's unknown if it's just her teleportation, the chances of Nanno also having invisibility is really high because she is aware of what is happening when she appears there)" with no citation. Due to there being no citation, the profile has no evidence for this superpower even possibly being something Nanno can do. As someone who has watched all of Girl from Nowhere, I don't recall what this could be referring to that isn't other abilities that are already listed on Nanno's profile. If no one can provide evidence in this thread, then this ability should be removed from the profile.

Nanno's profile states: "Hacking and/or Technology Manipulation (She is shown to be able to control technological objects several times, and she always can use her cellphone even if she isn't holding it. Additionally, she can call multiple people at the same time even if she is using only one cellphone, she has access of the information that are spread in the world, such as being able to access everyone's smartphone or camera, even if it's already destroyed)." BFF Part 1 is cited for Nanno being able to use one cellphone to call multiple people simultaneously. Nanno had called multiple people off-screen, so she could have used a non-supernatural method that didn't involve using a single phone. The citation for having access to information spread in the world and so on is "This can be noted in the Season 1 episode 12, episode 2 and 1 and others," which is a citation that isn't formatted properly and is a little confusing. Nanno being able to use her cellphone even if she isn't holding it has no citation, but I assume it's referring to the episode ''Apologies'', where the relevant information happened while Nanno wasn't on-screen, so I'm unsure of what to make of it. Overall, the justification is odd, but I believe that Nanno has hacking and technology manipulation, so I wrote better justifications for the abilities. "Hacking (During the episode Lost & Found, Nanno was able to somehow obtain a password that let her smartphone have the view of the school's security cameras, and was able to use a laptop to remotely unlock a door that was locked by a padlock; during the BFF story, Nanno was able to force a video to play on the smartphones of a group of people, as well as on a video projector in the room, while Nanno wasn't shown to have recently tampered with any of those objects)" "Technology Manipulation (Nanno was the reason a video projector was functional despite it being unplugged at the end of BFF Part 2, even though she seemingly wasn't physically present nearby)"

Nanno's profile states, as one of the justifications for her having precognition: "She is shown to be aware of the future and what will happen in each second," with the episode Pregnant cited. I don't recall this truly happening. Nanno did demonstrate awareness of the time in regards to the bets the students were making, but this isn't supernatural. Nanno secretly placed a bet and then scored with Nanai at that exact time she had written so she could win the bet. This is just a demonstration of Nanno's planning skills, not precognition.

Nanno's profile states: "Illusion Creation (She can cast illusions and show memories in the people's mind)" with the episode True Love cited, referring to when Ms. Naruemol had plenty of flashbacks throughout the episode and how there were neat transitions when the viewers were shown a perspective that was more personally connected to Ms. Naruemol's youth. There's no proof that Nanno was the cause of any of that rather than Ms. Naruemol simply reminiscing and using her imagination, so the ability is unjustified.

Nanno's profile states: "Soul Manipulation (Nanno can control souls)" with the episode Minnie and the Four Bodies cited. Nanno was a soul herself during the scene in question, and there's no proof that Nanno was controlling the souls who were accompanying her rather than all of them having been in agreement to haunt Minnie.

Nanno's profile states: "Hair Manipulation (She can change the color of her hair)" with the episode Liberation cited. Nanno's hair changed off-screen, and there's no evidence that Nanno didn't simply bring hair dye with her to the school like how she was shown to have brought lip gloss to the school, so the ability is unjustified.

Nanno's profile states, in the Resistances section: "Biological Manipulation and Sleep Manipulation (She is unaffected by medicines and sleep pills)" with the episode Apologies cited. This is only evidence of Nanno resisting sleep manipulation, not biological manipulation. The medicine was sleeping pills, and it was enough to make a regular person fall asleep immediately. That wasn't tampering with biology more than sleep manipulation alone does.

Nanno's profile states, in the Resistances section: "Fire Manipulation (Fire didn't burnt her)" with the episode Liberation cited. Nanno was taunting Teacher A by having her tongue graze the flame of a lighter. I didn't see Nanno's tongue actually reach into the flames. This should be considered as a skill feat instead.

Speed
Next, I'll address Nanno's physical speed, which I believe is overplayed. The Speed section states: "At least Subsonic (She can move dozens of meters in an instant and no human can notice her movements)" with the episode The Judgement cited. However, the feat isn't so clear-cut, as it happened entirely off-screen.

Only Yuri had witnessed the actual travel Nanno had done, and Yuri expressed surprise after it happened, but this doesn't matter much, since Yuri wasn't planning on physically stopping Nanno and Yuri's surprise likely stemmed from her not having expected Nanno to be bold enough to intervene in a murder attempt when Nanno was thought to be mortal at the time. Junko and Ms. Waan didn't realize Nanno had grabbed Junko's knife until Nanno had already done it, but they weren't looking in the direction Nanno came from, and they were focused on the conflict they were having between each other, so this is almost insignificant evidence in terms of how fast Nanno traveled. The way the scenes were presented made it feel like Nanno was super fast, but this is just a cinematic timing illusion to make the scene feel as impactful as it is. The cinematic timing might have also been meant to represent Nanno's stealth mastery rather than speed. Nanno has never demonstrated super speed on-screen and she has never been stated to possess this superpower. Ms. Waan even caught Nanno off-guard immediately after Nanno's supposed feat of super speed, and Ms. Waan is merely a regular human.

Here is a link to the footage I saved on Imgur. Only the first two clips are most relevant to this thread.

It's still implied that Nanno was quick, but the idea that she demonstrated super speed isn't reliable. The following is a far more accurate description of the event: "Athletic Human (Starting from a significant few meters away from them, Nanno was able to intercept a lethal knife stab from Junko to Ms. Waan before the two could react, as shown during the episode The Judgement)"

Power and Durability
Lastly, how we treat the power and durability of Nanno should be changed.

In both the Attack Potency section and the Durability section, it's stated: "Unknown (Her full strength is unknown since there is little to know about her real nature, and the strength that she uses in the show constantly varies according to her will)" with no citation, but I attest that there are indeed miscellaneous times where Nanno gets affected by things she doesn't need to get affected by, for the sake of her using very specific methods to succeed. However, I think this indicates that the "Varies" rank should be used, not the "Unknown" rank. The justification even verbatim states that she "varies according to her will."

I think that neither "Varies" nor "Unknown" are truly appropriate though. Nanno's main capabilities are being super clever and having non-physical magic. The "miscellaneous times where Nanno gets affected by things she doesn't need to get affected by, for the sake of her using very specific methods to succeed" that I was referring to have to do with events like Nanno not regenerating wounds until she no longer uses her injuries for purposes regarding her missions, such as during The Rank, or Nanno deciding whether or not she's exempt from the Wonderwall's magical effects during Wonderwall Part 2. Nanno's immortality and non-physical magic can be precisely used by her in a way that makes them appear as varying, not her physical power and durability. Physically, Nanno is consistently portrayed as a regular strong schoolgirl. This isn't something that's implied to vary.

Following the "Unknown" rank, the Attack Potency section states: "at least Street level (Should be similar to her durability as Nanno constantly uses her physical capacity, and her physical capacity is strong enough to overpower people and make them unable to get away from her)" with no citation. I know this to be somewhat true, but it doesn't take at least peak human strength to do this against regular humans. "Athlete level" is a more appropriate rank.

Following the "Unknown" rank, the Durability section states: "at least Street level (She is durable enough to not be affected by several students attacking her with metal bats)" with no citation, but I presume this is referring to when many students beat Nanno up with blunt weapons during BFF Part 2. However, that event made Nanno's face disfigured and bloody. She got unaffected in the sense that she is psychologically unbreakable by human means, but she still clearly wasn't durable enough to "not be affected" by the attacks in a way that concerns durability. "Athlete level" is a more appropriate rank, simply scaling to her attack potency.

To make sure this thread doesn't become stale while I wait for it to receive more input, I'll sometimes be replying with a count of how much time has passed since this thread's creation, which will also function as performing BUMP to it. So far, it has been 1 week and 3 days.

Back