• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Eragon vs Harry Dresden

2017-17-08-21-06-21
Conditions

+ Speed is equalized

+ both are serious

+ they fight in a major city

+ win by any means

+ both are in character

+ Eragon just gets his sword, no other items

+ Saphira is far away

Erago: 0

Harry Dresde: 0

Inconclusive: 3
(Monarch Laciel, MrKingOfNegativity, KinkiestSins)

Assuming "no other items" includes Eldurnari, so its the base Eragon.

Dresden can throw off his mind attacks pretty easily, his will is insane.

Dresden's shield bracelet can block light, fire, and sound based attacks.

He's capable of redirecting fire attacks.

Dresden's got a revolver and enough non-verbal attacks to work even if the ancient language restricts his use of spells. And that's assuming the ancient language will even work against Dresden' spells, none of which are in any form of ancient magical language - they are just him propelling his will to cause something through his words.

Eragon's mind "resistance" works by focusing on a single mental image so that someone trying to break into their mind will only find that. Dresden doesn't even use mind attacks.

If someone reminds me what feat gives him this ability, I'll talk more on Dresden's power null

Dresden can sense use of magic, and redirect spells.

Dresden's fought invisible enemies before.

Death words can likely take down Dresden unless he has a spell or feat of resisting telekinesis

Eragon's matter manipulation isn't really combat focused - he's never ripped apart an enemy through it for example.

I'll have to come back to this, but for now I'm leaning towards inconclusive. They both have ways to incapitate or killl each other other fairly easily and I don't know who'd use it first. But even if Eragon gets off a death word, Dresden's death curse will kill Eragon.

Does Eragon begin the fight with wards already in place? Or will he have to erect them in the middle of the fight?

Outside of that detail, I'm leaning more towards Eragon due to Words of Death, as well as him generally having better magical protection than Dresden even without his Eldunari. I'm only barely swinging in his favor, though.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
Does Eragon begin the fight with wards already in place? Or will he have to erect them in the middle of the fight?

Wards are already in place, to make it more equal.

In that case, I'm going to go with Eragon, since his wards will probably deflect whatever first attack Dresden throws at him. (IIRC they work against physical attacks as well as magic, so Dresden's gun won't be doing anything either) From there, it'll be tough for both parties, but I believe Eragon's wards can last until he lands a killing blow, even with them drawing upon his energy. And it's already been mentioned, but Dresden doesn't use mind attacks of any kind, so our Shadeslayer has nothing to worry about on that front either.

Eragon is also quite superior in a melee encounter, so if he gets within sword-swinging range, he could most likely cut Harry down in a short amount of time.

True, but a Death Curse is vastly more powerful than the spells a wizard throws out normally, seeing as it is not just using the wizard's will, but also their life to power it. Dresden's mother's affected the White King, who is a ridiculously powerful Incubus (which among other things gives him his own passive resistance to magic), and Dresden is more powerful than his mother.

Also, Eragon's wards are directly linked to his own strength and stamina. They are less increased durability and more automatic counters to attacks. So if Dresden uses a death curse, it would smash against any wards Eragon has and put him in a situation where he either needs to drop the wards (and take the curse), or not drop the wards and die when the stamina drain becomes too much. That's why I say inconclusive.

Does it really count if Eragon dies after having already killed Dresden, though? Because I mean, if that's really the case, you could argue Inconclusive for just about any viable (read: non-stomp) match that would lead to Dresden losing just based on that alone.

Yes, it counts. If they both kill each other, its inconclusive. Doesn't matter if one is already dead.

I suppose I'll switch to Inconclusive as well, then. Judging from the above, the likeliest scenario here is that Eragon eventually triumphs, only to have his moment of victory ripped right out of his grasp.

The Death curse is useless if Eragon beheads Dresden, stops him from speaking (yes he can do that), or blinds him (he can do that too).

Furthermore Eragon can attack Dresdens mind and physically attack him at the same time, which will be a very difficult situation for Dresden and probably more then enough time to close any distance between them. If Eragon continues to attack Dreden mentally it will also be very unlickely that Drsden can use his Death Curse, since he will need all of his concentration to defend himself mentally and physically.

Except eveything you just said is completely false.

Dresden's mother's Death Curse was done to Wraith from many many miles away while she was dying from entropy curse/childbirth, so it sure doesn't require sight of the target. (If you bring up Changes, the reason he didn't use his death curse was because he didn't know who his killer was)

People's brains are still alive for betwee 7 and 20 seconds after death, and even if Eragon straight up chopped his brain in half, Dresden's soul would still be there for a few seconds before getting sucked off to the afterlife after the body's death just to make sure that Death curse hits.

And a death curse doesn't require speaking. Speaking spells in the Dresdenverse isn't like spells in the Potterverse, or even the Eragonverse. They are not conduits for magic, some mystical language that governs magic. "Feugo" is not "Brisingr". They are literally whatever word the wizard wants it to be, and different wizards use the same spells with the completely different words.

Dresdenverse spells are not words controlling the world. They are insulators for magic. Wizards cast spells in ancient languages that they do not understand, because the more they understand the language, the closer the magic comes to burning their minds, and the language of one's own thoughts is as just about as understandable as is possible for a person. Dresden dying would not care about keeping his brain intact, and would cast that spell straight from his thoughts.

Eragon's mind hax can be kept at bay simply by strong will and focus, and Dresden has more than enough of both. The man's contested his will against fallen angels, demons, Outsiders, high ranking Sidhe, vampiric gods, and he outwilled Demonreach and made it his butler, and that thing is basically the warden for a prison than contains mind-shatteringly horrifying demons in minimum security because everything past there is so much older, stronger and generally worse for humanity if it gets out. Eragon's mind hax gets lolnoped extremely hard.

Back