• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Deleted Secondary Canon

This has been on my mind for a while. Some franchises have canon mobile games and other spin offs that either are absolutely going to be deleted in the future or can be deleted (live service in general). If they get deleted in their totality should we still use them for the verse. Would the deletion in and of itself not be grounds to say it isn’t canon anymore without direct counter statements from the creators and just in general is it good for profiles to use these, now thoroughly, gone sections of their franchises, especially when they are secondary to begin with (again unless directly stated against by the author).

Somethings brought up in the thread:
Option 1) Should count as usuable unless completely gone and unfindable from the internet.
Option 2) Count it if it has been connected or referenced to the main series ever again.

I look forward to more opinions on the subject.

Last edited:
Unless they are stated to directly not to be canon and we have evidence of their existence, I don’t see why they would not become useable.

If a franchise created a live service game that established itself and is considered canon to the series, it's perfectly fine to use it even if it's services end because it still existed. Many live service games aren't going to live forever but us not being able to play them anymore shouldn't mean their events did not happen. Just that they can't continue. N ow if no one could find anything on the game, all information was deleted by the people who made it and no one could fact check stuff and the developers don't comment on it and it's events aren't referenced in canon then deletion might be logical since we can't get anything on it.

So in my opinion it boils down to if information can still be accessible, if past gameplay footage can be found and something links it to the main series. If it in its entirety is gone and nothing is left then that's a different story. Just my thoughts, would like to see what others think.

I think the line should be drawn on if it has anything connecting it to the main franchise. Because the main story never talked about or referenced nothing in from main game I am thinking about and the creator’s haven’t reinstated if it’s canon after nuking it. Because again this is about secondary canon that already struggles to be counted without also being fully deleted.

I think the creators simply calling it canon is proof enough. We are just creating more hurdles to jump over for no real reason.

Like at that point, we are saying that we know more than the creators on what stuff is REALLY canon and what is not, which I think is foolish.

That was before they deleted, which is a pretty major deal when you are talking about what you include in a franchise.

That was before they deleted, which is a pretty major deal when you are talking about what you include in a franchise.
I mean most of the time they don't want to take the live-service games down. They do so because they have no money left to fund it. They are directly choosing to shut the game down because they think it's non canon. It's a money move.

If it was purely a money move they could and should just quickly establish its continued connect to the franchise. It’s like if a writer removes a side book, deletes it from exist, and never talks about it again. That means it’s non canon unless elaborated on further. Especially since nothing since has even come close to referencing it in any way since.

If it was purely a money move they could and should just quickly establish its continued connect to the franchise. It’s like if a writer removes a side book, deletes it from exist, and never talks about it again. That means it’s non canon unless elaborated on further. Especially since nothing since has even come close to referencing it in any way since.
Again, we are just adding hurdles that are not necessary. If the creators say it's canon and don't say it's non canon, that should be it. We are prescribing narrative intent on monetary actions, which should be kept separate.

It’s not an unnecessary hurdle, the game was eradicated and never referenced again on all levels of production. But for now let me just add this part for clarification in the op and see what staff thinks.

If a franchise created a live service game that established itself and is considered canon to the series, it's perfectly fine to use it even if it's services end because it still existed. Many live service games aren't going to live forever but us not being able to play them anymore shouldn't mean their events did not happen. Just that they can't continue. N ow if no one could find anything on the game, all information was deleted by the people who made it and no one could fact check stuff and the developers don't comment on it and it's events aren't referenced in canon then deletion might be logical since we can't get anything on it.

So in my opinion it boils down to if information can still be accessible, if past gameplay footage can be found and something links it to the main series. If it in its entirety is gone and nothing is left then that's a different story. Just my thoughts, would like to see what others think.
I agree with this.

As long as the information is accessible and we know that information is accurate/not tampered with, it should still be fine to use.

This will be significantly harder to prove, since we cannot rely on screenshots only. We cannot take a person's word that a screenshot hasn't been edited.

Old gameplay footage that is up should be used, and likely saved as well to preserve the information.

Back