• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Could an omnipotent being create another omnipotent being?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short answer: No

Long answer: If by "create" you mean straight up make a new omnipotent being out of nothing, or click your fingers and make another being omnipotent, no. Because two omnipotents cannot exist, seeing as if you can have an equal or someone greater than you, you are not and never were omnipotent. Same with creating another omnipotent by giving them your omnipotence (giving it up yourself). If you give up your omnipotence to another, and cannot immediately reclaim or use your omnipotent powers anyway, you are not and never were omnipotent. If you cannot reclaim your powers because the "new" omnipotent is restricting you, again you are being restricted, so you were never omnipotent either.

Surely yes they can else they would not be omnipotent? I think it's important to remember omnipotents are beyond all limiting concepts including logic. This means they are immune to logical paradoxes

I think it is possible, but we would have no way of comprehending the mechanism behind it as it defies our basic logic.

This all relies on the fact that an omnipotent character can unquestionably do anything.

This is bound by our logic, an omnipotent being is beyond any type of logic; he could be both infinitely stronger and infinitely weaker than this new omnipotent, at the same time. It's the same reason why I don't trust the omnipotence paradox, and all its variations, as they are all bound by what we are capable of logically understanding whilst an omnipotent wouldn't be.

So, my answer would be yes, no and anything in between.

Ok, technically, yes, omnipotents are capable of all things, even those that go against logic, so yes a true omnipotent could create another omnipotent.

But our concept of omnipotence is still a fundamentally human concept. And as we understand that concept, no two beings can be omnipotent, thus the moment an omnipotent being creates another omnipotent, neither of them are omnipotent or ever were, because the new "omnipotent" is on the same level as the first and "all power" cannot be shared.

Yes, it could, but it's proof we cannot find or logically comprehend.

I find it odd how everyone here seems to state we couldn't logically comprehend the procedure behind any of these paradoxes.That somehow these omnipotent beings are beyond our logic and comprehension even though we are the ones that create these omnipotent beings. The truth is there is no such thing as omnipotence, anyone who is deemed omnipotent is just the absolute strongest being in their respective universe. (This doesn't make every strongest being in a certain universe "omnipotent")

So, can an omnipotent being create a different omnipotent being? No because omnipotence doesn't exist. However can a nigh-omnipotent being create a nigh-omnipotent being that is equal to him? Absolutely.

Edit: with universe I am referring to the fiction in this context

We didn't create any omnipotent beings. That's an atheist statement and one I most certainly do not agree with.

Because the Ultimate Reality which is denoted by the word 'Absolute' or 'Parabrahman' (Õìì) is the very core of our being as well as the cause and basis of the universe of which we are part, we can no more get away from it than our solar system can get away from the sun round which it resolves and from which it receives everything which keeps it alive and moving. Although the Absolute is sometimes referred to by such epithets as the Void, Ever-Darkness etc. and is beyond intellectual comprehension, still, from the intellectual point of view it is the most profound concept in the whole realm of philosophy. The fact that it is called 'Unknowable' does not mean that it is beyond the range of philosophical or religious thought and something on which thinking is impossible or undesirable. The very fact that it is the heart and the basis of the universe should make it the most intriguing object of enquiry within the realms of the intellect.
~ I.K. Taimni, Man, God and the Universe, Chapter 1​

@Sera

I think that he was referring to the tier 0 characters

Edit: ok no

@Knight

The only answer is "yes because an omnipotent can do what it wants".

It's one of the various paradoxes of omnipotence

We humans came up with all these concepts, to dismiss something as incomprehensible is baseless. I'm not saying we created God, but I am saying we created the concept of God.

Just because we came up with the concept of omniscience doesn't mean it does not exist. The internet can be considered omniscient in a way, it's all relative really. It's all about perspective. Same can be said for omnipotence.

There's the scholastic definition and the stupid illogical definition everyone is obsessed with.

We came up with the concept of dimensions too but we still can't percieve 5 dimensional things. We don't even know if they exist.

Soo basicaly we are capable of understanding this Concepts because we were the one to create them?

That goes against everything... we are bounded by Logic, 1+1=2 not 1+1=3, Saying we are capable of understanding a being that is unbound by Logic just because we created it's concept make it seems like we are also unbound by Logic.

To claim that there is such thing as omnipotence is a no-limits fallacy, one of the most compelling arguments against the existence of God.

I struggle to understand how NLF is a compelling argument against the existence of a God? As far as I understand it omnipotent beings break every conceivable rule and limitations including logic, that's the whole point of there existence

What's the point in using the definition of omnipotence/omniscience when you're not using it literally. Using omnipotence/omniscience from a perspective other than the definition seems redundant to me, might as well just use "really powerful". But to be fair I don't know if you could actually compare omniscience to omnipotence, I can't really come up with any logical paradoxes that could come out of an omniscient being.

@ALRF we're the ones that decide said being is unbound by logic, which is baseless.

I have a better idea. Since this is an unanswerable question, this needs to be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back