• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Can this character get a profile? (Mesperyian)

I have made a sandbox profile for Mesperyian, a character from a short story of the same name. Before I post it, I just wanna make sure it's allowed.

She originates from a Booksie short story that isn't very well written (the word "randomest" is used). Despite this, she became an iconic character on Tumblr and other circles, mainly because of the false belief that she was an actual, classical Greek goddess and not something made for a Greek mythology fanfiction from 2009.

I say the word "fanfiction" lightly because the source is based on Greek myth, which is ancient and doesn't have copyright or anything.

She should be popular enough, she's still discussed on Tumblr where she has fanart and cosplays, and the OG story has 153k views. A video about the story and the character itself has 436k views.

So my concerns are:
But what is has going for it are:
  • She is a copyrighted character from a copyrighted story
  • She has feats and powers
  • Greek myth is public domain
Edit:

Popularity
Mesperyian rose to popularity without any input from her creator (besides creating the story obviously). The big boom of her popularity came from a Tumblr post and quickly spiraled into something of Tumblr fame. To put a long story short, someone asked who the most beautiful Greek goddess was, someone claimed it was Mesperyian (a character from a webstory from 2009), and soon there were hundreds of notes about it. Most of the original posts are lost on the site itself but have been archived on places like Quora and Twitter.

It's easy to see that she's quite popular though;

The original story has 153k views

Here's a video going over the story and the aftermath, which has 435k views! And here's another with a less impressive 5.4k views

There are multiple pieces of fanart of her, as well as cosplays

There are even fan-rewrites and fanfiction based on the story

I even found a fan-made heavy metal song about her!

Simply searching "Mesperyian" on Twitter or Tumblr get you a fairly large crowd talking about her

Last edited:
If she's from a decently popular copyrighted story it should be fine, quality isn't inherently a factor (otherwise we'd have to remove [POPULAR VERSE] amirite) and plenty of stories are based on greek mythology.

Who the fricking frick thought that was anything like a greek god? That's the most fanart character in the history of fanarts. I'm tempted to say no to her just for messing it up with actual Ancient Greek history.

This does not seem to be sufficiently mainstream official and notable to include in our wiki. My apologies. 🙏

What makes something mainstream enough? I can link to hundreds of posts talking about this story, as well as dozens of fanworks based on it. I know profiles already on the wiki that are much less notable than this

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to edit the OP into a CRT better show off the scope of this character

While I don't wish to get ahead of myself, I am confident I can make a convincing case for this

It is a fan work/not officially published, and is only somewhat notable in non-mainstream online fan communities. Again, my apologies, but we need to maintain some sort of standards by having certain lines regarding what is or is not allowed. I am not likely to change my mind regarding this issue.

Is a fanwork of Greek myth still a fanwork? What of Percy Jackson or Disney's Hercules? Greek myth is public domain

I can list (likely not even over exaggerated) 100 characters from non-officially published media already here on the site. This has never been a rule before, so why now?

"Obscure" characters don't get dozens of fanarts, cosplays, and fansongs about them. The story has more views than some stories already hosted on this site.

A content moderator recently made a profile for a character who originates from a DeviantArt story, and it has less views than Mesperyian's story.

Really all I ask is that I can make one CRT to properly address this in full. If it gets rejected after that, I really have no choice but to drop it, but I can't help but feel that this meets all the standard already set in place by other profiles, making this feel like a double standard

Last edited:
Being from a series that is either short lived or is poor quality aren't counter arguments against it being allowed; we allow plenty of characters from short lived bad video games and/or movies. Whether or not it's pure NSFW might be a different story; in the official image, she has no cloths but at least she's covering her breasts with her arms.

As for relationship with Greek Mythology, it's more so Kratos from God of War level in which it's only loosely based on Greek Mythology but starts an original character. So that points to it being fine.

Though, when we say "Published works" we usually mean it's the type of story we see sold at stores or digital shops. Though some characters do come from free to play phone app games. I'm unsure about all text works on Booksie counting. Neutral overall.

Though some characters do come from free to play phone app games.
We also have characters from Newgrounds flash games/animations, Twitter comics, and DeviantArt stories, which is what leads to me believe that being published and sold in stores isn't really something we require when it comes to adding verses
Whether or not it's pure NSFW might be a different story; in the official image, she has no cloths but at least she's covering her breasts with her arms.
The story itself doesn't have any NSFW content, the image is the only risqué thing. Then again, we have images like this already on the site, which should be on the same level?

Also, I updated the OP with some 'feats' of popularity lol, in case my vague descriptor wasn't enough

Tough one.

I'd say that by views alone it is well below the line for notoriety. We lack the metrics for a lot of things so we sort of have to fumble at deciding whether they appear notable enough- we have those metrics here, and I think they are firmly far too low.

However, the bizarre phenomenon of the presence of basically all fan content being more popular, it seems, than the original piece of media raises questions. Though, something here suggests that a lot of these people making the fan content aren't fully aware that this is just some character- some seem to believe this is (was?) an actual Greek deity. Regardless, I can think of OCs that have gained notoriety for little more than being seen in one or two noteworthy contexts that have their origins shrouded in mystery, and so I don't like the idea of letting people onto the site if they have a small but dedicated following.

I'm leaning neutral here but I disagree with allowing it. So little on the original story is too much of a major drawback to ignore.

Yes. I agree with Bambu. This seems like very obscure fan content.

Though I disagree with it being fan content, I'm ultimately fine with it being barred due to being controversial and not popular enough. Don't really wanna cause any issues, and sorry if I have

To be clear, I wasn't referring to the character itself being fan content (and I believe Ant wasn't either), I was referring to the fan content of the character. I presume Ant agrees, too, that said content is obscure.

Which is a bit confusing, but.

Y'know.

Back