• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About DBS Manga Canonicity

Status
Not open for further replies.

AidenBrooks999

VS Battles
Retired
So, some of my friends bring me this (Well, in my language, Spanish, but I found it in english), is an interview with Toyotarou, the artist of Dragon Ball Super's Manga

Well, in said interview Toyotarou mentions that he do not disobeys/alterates Toriyama's ideas for the plot and also Toyotarou mentions that "manga and anime had differents ways to interpret and show the history"

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2016-10-26/dragon-ball-super-toyotarou/.107579

Does this means that DBS Manga is the actual Primary Canon?

Because I have some doubts respect on how this would affect the feats and scaling.

(I post this on "Staff Discussion" because this is important and I think that some regular members could make this thread go out of control)

Just to known: We consider Anime primary canon cuz was stated in another interview or just cuz appeared first? Cuz not sure what we follow: Toei or Toriyama...

Scaling shouldn't change that much, only thing that change is the Hit vs. Goku battle, everything else seems to be just "shenaniganz"

The DBS anime still came before the manga, the manga is directly referred to as an adaptation of the anime, the anime is further ahead storywise as said by Toyatarou in your link and the anime has much more involvement from the original creator.

All that interview says is that Toyotarou doesn't deviate from a major plot outline of the series (which most secondary canon adaptations try not to do) This does not mean manga is the primary canon. Just that it tries to somewhat be faithful to the original source it is adapting.

Which even then there are still many differences in terms of events, feats, lack of notable scenes and the creation of entirely new scenes with the manga.

I do not agree with considering the manga to be primary canon over the anime. At the end of the day the manga is still an adaptation of the anime, with very little involvement from Toriyama and does have significant changes/inconsistencies, regardless of that not being entirely Toyatarou's intention.

Well, it depens, I mean, supposedly SSG U6 Goku > SSG BoG Goku (3 years of training with Vegeta, and training with Wiss before that one make a good difference, so maybe Likely 3-A for that one)

But, SSBKKX10 never happened in manga, and isn't Goku Black Arc less complete in the manga?

Ryukama said:
Well, that's true

But just to clarify, manga and anime have some destacable differences and contradictions

But ok, I just wanted to post this in case this could be important.

Pretty sure this is settled up.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Sorry if this was kind of... Unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back