• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A discussion about the word "WORLD"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordGriffin1000

Awakened after 1000 years
He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
So this isn't a big thing but I've noticed it from time to time, the word world gets tossed around a lot in fiction and some people seem to believe that the word World translates to Planet which of course is not always the case.

Example: If a verse already has planet level characters and then someone who is comparable to said Planet level characters says "I can destroy the entire world" he likely means he can destroy the Planet.

Example 2: If a verse only has casual Mountain and Country Level characters and then someone comparable or better shows up and says "I can destroy the entire world" that doesn't mean he can destroy the planet especially since he has no feats.

This seams to escape some people and they believe when someone says "I can destroy the world", "I will annihilate the world" or "I'll create a new world" but they don't show any feats nor do the verse have feats on this level. It also doesn't help that fiction also uses the word World to describe Higher Dimensions/Pocket Dimensions or Universes, Hell the words Realm and Dimension also can be used for Planet or Universe.

Do we even have a page discussing this? I don't think it's really need as I said this isn't always happening but it's quite annoying.

Anyway I would like to know what you guys think?

Totaly agree on this. Considering I've seen the word world tossed around alot to mostly support characters being stronger than they likely are.

I agree entirely and wholeheartedly.

This actually should be more important than some of us are giving it credit for honestly since this kind of topic can involve quite a lot of characters who stem from this.

Should this be highlighted?

But in all seriousness, it depends on context and should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

Somebody could easily dig through all of the Dragon Ball manga and look for whenever somebody said "They could destroy the entire World" for example. Then start upgrade threads claiming Frieza saga Goku is universal.

It could be done for almost any verse though. It all really depends on context like said in the OP.

The Everlasting said:
"easily dig through an entire manga"
You're making it sound a lot easier than it actually is.
I guess it depends on how badly they want to wank the verse. And how long the manga in question is.

Manga is hard to read in japanese if you don't understand the language, I know from experience, lol.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
"You thought Griffin came up with this thread, BUT IT WAS ME, DIO!"
You mad bro? I know I destroyed your "World" by making this thread but that's no reason to lie. OvO

The question is if this is important enough to write a rule for the convention.

Well, I don't think we need a page for this. It just takes common sense and simple analytical skills to realize that "World" can mean a lot of things.

As I said I don't think we need a page I just wanted everyone's thoughts on it and if a page was agreed on than ok but like Matt said it can easily be handled so a page doesn't seem necessary unless this becomes more frequent but I doubt that.

I was not referring to a page, but a brief information rule.

How about "Please note that fiction uses words like World, Dimension and Realm to describe a number of things and thus the context of which these words are used in should be carefully analysed before making a Revision Thread"

This is my best but I'm sure someone can do much better.

Well, thank you for the help in any case.

Are there any other suggestions?

Some slight modifications:

"Please note that fiction uses words like "World", "Dimension", and "Realm" to describe a number of different things. As such, the context in which the terms have been used should be carefully analysed before starting content revision threads."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back