• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A baby caterpillar fights a golem to the death

JustSomeWeirdo

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Caterpie vs Stonebor

AP and Dura vs Attacks that it's weak to

Speed Equalized

Both have access to all of their abilities

Starting Distance: uh...idk...5 meters?

Fight takes place in the middle of a busy street

Stoneborn has earth based attacks that will throw Caterpie off.

Still one hilarious matchup.

First off:

Considering speed is equalized, &, AFAIK, we equalize speed to the lower one, this could stalemate if Caterpie's speed was equalized to "unable to move"/unknown, since it probably couldn't move, then.

Thus, I'm assuming both are Transonic (Caterpie's speed) in movement, attack, reflexes, etc.

Incidentally, CAN this Stoneborn move?

Second off, a BUSY STREET?

Doesn't mean there will be cars, people & buildings present? Many potential obstacles, possible things to scare Caterpie, or prevent the Stoneborn from emerging from the ground? This is an environment with many awkward possibilities for both combatants.

Anyway.... Assuming Stoneborn's rock-shooting attacks count as "Rock type" to Caterpie when Caterpie is hit by it, Caterpie will take double damage. I consider it less likely, but if they count as "Ground type" then Caterpie takes half-damage.

Either way, if Caterpie supposedly has higher AP & durability....

....It still may actually be doomed.

Gold For protection, it releases a horrible stench from the antennae on its head to drive away enemies.
Here's how I see the match-up going:

1. Caterpie, oblivious to the Stoneborn's presence (I doubt Caterpie would know what one is, much less that it's hiding here.) & wander into the Stoneborn's range.

2. The Stoneborn emerges, & attacks Caterpie.

3. Caterpie gets scared, & starts stinking up the place, thinking it will deter the Stoneborn, possibly also fleeing while doing so... despite that something made of rock may not be able to smell or be bothered by bad smells. Meanwhile, the Stoneborn continues attacking Caterpie.

4. Caterpie leaves the Stoneborn's range, making it go back underground, I'd assume.

So presumably, either Caterpie dies first because rocks squash Bug Pokemon, or it flees the area of the battle. And around the same time, the Stoneborn goes back underground, as per its turret-like behaviour, I'd assume.

So one of them loses by forfeit/retreating, but who?

....Well, probably not. SBA say that both would be "in-character" & more importantly, willing to kill. So Caterpie might stink up the place, but not retreat.

However, if they both have access to all their abilities, then the Stoneborn can burn/set fire to the ground, no?

Fire all over the ground would probably really mess-up Caterpie, as its best defense is climbing walls or other surfaces... or, as the anime would suggest, if my memory serves, swinging around with String Shot.

Alternatively:

Assuming Caterpie is clever enough & has the lifting strength to do so, Caterpie could try using String Shot to "lasso" the rocks the Stoneborn shoots... as well as the people, cars & other things present it could presumably use from this "busy street" environment OP so generously provided.

In the event Caterpie actually gets close to Stoneborn, it could climb it, & possibly get out of the attack range of its immobile opponent by climbing on it, & then attacking with Tackle, Bug Bite, etc.

In such a scenario, the best thing I could think of for the Stoneborn to do is to go underground, then move back up as fast as possible, in an attempt to launch Caterpie off of it.

But could it do that? Would it do that? Would that work?

Perhaps most hilariously is that the fighters in this both probably act at Transonic speed: Transonic is at minimum, 308.7 m/s or 690.54223 MILES PER HOUR or 1111.32 KILOMETERS PER HOUR!

Caterpie & the Stoneborn would both be several times faster than all the cars on this "busy street"!

Between Caterpie potentially String-Shot-lasso-ing people, cars, rocks, etcetera, being unphased by car crashes -possibly destroying vehicles, even- with its Large Building Level durability...

...& the Stoneborn possibly being mistaken for a manhole cover, shooting rocks & setting fire to the ground, it'd probably be absolute chaos to the bystanders, lol!

Honestly, I'm unsure who wins.

Caterpie probably dies if it acts PURELY I-C because it would gets scared/views the Stoneborn as an enemy & would start stinking up the place trying to deter its immobile, made-of-rock enemy that shoots rocks & could possibly also burn the ground.

But if the Stoneborn, being the living turret retreats when Caterpie gets too close -I don't actually know if it would do this- that might count as a loss for it. It could also lose if Caterpie makes good use of String Shotting things/people from this "busy street" environment for a makeshift ranged attack.

Caterpie's slightly higher AP/Dura could also potentially prove relevant.

....Well, was this a good analysis? Did I overanalyze an arguably simple match-up?

"Can it move" Yes (and I believe that Endgame of Birthright has moving Stoneborns, but I might be wrong, either way it's non-canon)

"Prevention from emerging out of the ground" I doubt a High 8-C is really going to have trouble with that at all

Well, Stoneborn heating up the ground is literally just that, it heats up the ground to the point of being able to burn High 8-Cs (and the ground even remains that way after it's death)

Also, in character Stoneborns don't really retreat from battle, it just goes back underground until it engages in combat once again (and it doesn't attempt to leave)

And they still engage in close combat (although it will still use ranged attacks), so getting too close will not cause it to retreat underground

Didn't really expect a long analysis tho, but it's still good to have in matches

It's in character, but willing to kill, going by standard battle assumptions.

But if Stoneborn can heat up the ground and uses rock-type moves, that's two moves that Caterpie has a 2x weakness to.

Still though, the feat Caterpie scales to is 6 tons while the feat Stoneborn scales to is around 2.3 tons. 2x effectiveness would only make that 4.6 tons.

Since Stoneborn is likely a rock type, Caterpie's Tackle will be halved. That's still 3 Tons, 0.7 tons higher than Stoneborn's feat. Plus Caterpie can use Bug Bite, a bug type move. Bug Type moves don't have a 0.5x effectiveness against rock, so it will sill dish out the full 6 tons.

So, even with Caterpie's 2x weakness to rock and fire and it's 1/2x effectiveness against rock, it can still take and dish out more power than Stoneborn can compete with.

I think Caterpie would take this 6/10, since it can make up for the lack of melee range by using string shot to restrict Stoneborn, giving it plenty of time to inch up and bug bite/tackle it to death.

@Arbitrary I'm fairly certain that we aren't supposed to apply types to Non-Pokemon, just their attacks. Stoneborn would take the full brunt of Caterpie's tackle damage but Caterpie would take extra damage due to him using attacks reminiscent of Fire and Rock moves, unless that rule changed at some point. Though I do agree that Caterpie wins due to the power advantage and string shot.

A little off topic, I didn't even realize that Rock types aren't resistant Bug types. That's really weird.

Couldn't the Stoneborn try to stalemate or avoid attacks by hiding underground? IIRC, it can hide such that only the Mask of Truth symbol shows, with none of its body exposed.

Add to this being able burn the ground & shoot rocks.... Would it be possible for the Stoneborn to hide underground to make Tackling impractical? Especially if heating up the ground can help hinder the approach, or shooting rocks, if it can do that....

Of course, I suppose it's possible for Caterpie to just effectively assault the Max of Truth symbol when the Stoneborn is underground by using String Shot to swing things like cars into it, if this Caterpie's that smart.

And yeah, IIRC, Pokemon types rules only apply to Pokemon themselves receiving attacks. Caterpie has type match-ups to its type, but no such precedents were established for, say, FE characters like the Stoneborn here.

Back