• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

OC fallacy official definition

OC Fallacy is a term used for verses without a story or character without a verse. According to this rule, such a verse/character loses any debate it participates in.

There are also additional criteria by which verse falls under oc fallacy:

1. The story must be at least 30 thousand symbols or more.

2. Verse should have a plot, and not just be a description of cosmology.

3. If there are too many grammatical and spelling errors in the story, verse may also fall under oc fallacy.

4. Verse should be an independent work, not a fanfiction based on another work.

5. If the story is generated by AI by more than 50%

A lot of writers on FC/OC are amatuers or just casuals, so i feel like like this should be exclusively for high-tier oc's, which is already being done.

What does "symbols" mean? Characters? Words? Does that mean someone has to write 9 chapters (Including chapter 7.5) like i had to so far with bakuhatsu? why would you expect a casual to abide by rules like that just so they can make an oc? It's way too strict.

It's also made clear that verses made by AI are just fine. I mean, look at the dougdoug profiles here 👀 unless it's an absolute heap of garbage i don't see why ai can't be used.

Fanfictions are also allowed anyways. It's literally in the name of this wiki. "Fan Characters/Original Characters Vsbattles". It's also like saying that crossovers shouldn't be allowed on vsbattles because they are based on another work, which doesn't make any sense. What's so bad about fanfictions? If i made a fanfiction about My Hero Academia on wattpad for example and wanted to put it on here, what's making it so bad that it can't be used for scaling, exactly?

What is the point of this? We already have standards for FC/OCs on this site, so what's the point in even having this rule?

Also how does this make them automatically loose a debate? "Your character's story is short and not well written imo, thus your character automatically looses the debate"

This is silly and unneeded. We already require FCs and OCs to have some sort of very basic story or plot to be on here, and simply having a character from a short story or a story with a lot of gramatical errors doesn't automatically make them loose in a fight lol. How would this ever even play into a VS match? Simply not being well written doesn't suddenly mean you instantly loose. If that was the case, my characters would never win a match in their life

Uhh... I didn't expect my post to get so many comments. Actually, yes, it can be a bit restrictive. But this is my personal opinion about what the word "OC fallacy" means in general, because I have heard it many times, but have not seen the official meaning of this phrase anywhere. Then I just decided to come up with this meaning myself, since no one is going to do it before me.

Me when i have to delete Hikari's Light Festival (I couldn't write 30 thousand words on what is basically a party game concept)
No, dude, not 30 thousand words, it's too brutal. I mean 30 thousand symbols without spaces. These are literally 1-2 chapters if they are large, and 6-7 chapters if they are small. There are several reasons for this: 1. I can't imagine a good plot with less than 30 thousand characters 2. This rule immediately stops children with their ocs for powerscaling.

What is the point of this? We already have standards for FC/OCs on this site, so what's the point in even having this rule?

Also how does this make them automatically loose a debate? "Your character's story is short and not well written imo, thus your character automatically looses the debate"
I'm not writing this for vs battles, I wrote it in general for scaling. And if you've never heard, then on YouTube OC Fallacy characters always lose even to 0D characters.

Yeah, again I just don't see the point in adding this. Pretty much all of the rules you stated are already stated in one way or another on the site's rules. Also I can see this having some negative effects, with people who have powerful characters loosing debates because other people are claiming that they're overpowered to just be overpowered, even if the character isn't. If a character is OP just to be OP, then maybe just don't use then in VS matches, or put them against another character equally as powerful

Yeah, again I just don't see the point in adding this. Pretty much all of the rules you stated are already stated in one way or another on the site's rules. Also I can see this having some negative effects, with people who have powerful characters loosing debates because other people are claiming that they're overpowered to just be overpowered, even if the character isn't. If a character is OP just to be OP, then maybe just don't use then in VS matches, or put them against another character equally as powerful
Of course, ideally it's better not to use such characters in debates at all, but people do it anyway. I can't control people in their actions.

That "OC Fallacy" thing always seemed silly to me, to begin with, it's not even a fallacy to create a strong character but with little history. "OC Fallacy" is just a fancy term that people use to nerf strong fanmade characters (or original characters created by someone) because they don't like them to be strong.

It seems to me like OP isn't actually suggesting any changes to the site, they're just trying to define a term they heard on YouTube.

I've never heard of "OC Fallacy", but it doesn't really surprise me that it exists. A lot of YouTube Shorts/TikTok VsSlopContent involves characters created by those users for the sole purpose of being OP, then making a short/TikTok where that character beats Goku or whoever 10-0. My guess is that people started taking this WAY too seriously and came up with "OC Fallacy" to try and argue why Goku or whoever WINS against the OC.

Did you guys know that a small community on Tiktok hails the ex-VSBW user "Ultima Reality" as the strongest character in fiction because of a blog post they made explaining how a certain cosmology works? And somehow they misread this as a blog for a character named "Ultima Reality" that soloed fiction? And they now put Ultima Reality against other big names like Azathoth and SCPs? That might fall under "OC Fallacy", idk. Just find that very interesting

But yeah, I don't think OC Fallacy is applicable to a wiki dedicated to OCs :v

Oh! Oh! I know this one! I know this one!

Everyone is more or less right about what OC fallacy is, I see the term a lot on Reddit. It's not just "strong" characters or ridiculously op characters, but "characters" who prioritize big numbers over character/story. It's usually reserved for characters who, as an example, lore material directly calls out other OCs by killing or defeating them. Stuff like Superman, Goku, etc. To random peoples OCs like yours and mine.

"My OC canonically created everything, including your OC" levels of "What?"

It's more or less characters that shove battleboarding terms across the their small lore or whose lore revolves around piggybacking on other characters for it's high-tier scaling.

(Though, granted nowadays many use it whenever they see a strong character, period.)

Back