• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Yog-Sothoth's Image

Sera_EX

She Who Dabbles in Fiction
VS Battles
Retired
What is this heresy? The old picture was perfect. Why replace that with a generic cosmic picture of spheres. Btw, I know it is an accurate depiction of the Outer God but...still.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
But a bunch of tentacles around a sphere is even more generic and inaccurate at that.
How is that even more generic than a common depiction of a multiverse? o_O

Nearly every Eldritch things in popular fiction are portrayed as a large tentacly mass. It just...isn't that interesting and gives the non-corporeal and abstract Outer Gods too much of a fleshy look.

Beside, "bunch of magical bubbles" is far less used as a character design.

Yeah, but that's what an Outet God is usually depicted as, some mass of eldritch abomination. A Great Old One like Cthulhu however, is more recognizable for that very reason. He has a more solid design that is easily recognizable. I just really liked the old pic for Yog...

Maybe it's just me :/

Not really. Afaik, Nyarlaothep is utterly shapeless, Yog-Sothoth is that, Azathoth is f l u t e and such.

I honestly really prefer the ethereal-looking canon depiction of Yog rather than our old one tbh.

Technically, via story description, you cannot perceive all of Yog at once. Carter sees no image when he speaks to Yog, because its presence is everywhere. Still, when it "speaks" to Carter, its words are said to translate themselves as "monstrous lights" and "waves". That is the only really accurate way one can depict such an entity, and while I did like the old art, it did not represent Yog-Sothoth.

"Then, in the midst of these devastating reflections, Carter's beyond-the-gate fragment was hurled from what had seemed the nadir of horror to black, clutching pits of a horror still more profound. This time it was largely external—a force or personality which at once confronted and surrounded and pervaded him, and which in addition to its local presence, seemed also to be a part of himself, and likewise to be coexistent with all time and coterminous with all space. There was no visual image, yet the sense of entity and the awful concept of combined localism, identity, and infinity lent a paralysing terror beyond anything which any Carter-fragment had hitherto deemed capable of existing."

^Yog gives off no image.

"And now the BEING was addressing the Carter-facet in prodigious waves that smote and burned and thundered—a concentration of energy that blasted its recipient with well-nigh unendurable violence, and that followed, with certain definite variations, the singular unearthly rhythm which had marked the chanting and swaying of the Ancient Ones, and the flickering of the monstrous lights, in that baffling region beyond the First Gate. It was as though suns and worlds and universes had converged upon one point whose very position in space they had conspired to annihilate with an impact of resistless fury."

^What it is like to perceive Yog's "speaking".

Welp, all is fine then. I just felt that a cosmic horror being represented as literally a multiverse (of sorts) was odd. I mean look at Shub-Niggurath. Creepy thing, she is o_O

But what you say makes more sense and fits the deity better like Saikou mentioned. So I'll just have to adjust, like I'll have to moving to another country @_@

Back