• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Woman of Winter's cold calculation

Miki Saiki, known as the Winter Woman or Goddess of Death in some cases, has been the victim of my revisions due to being Unknown in stats and out of context for abilities. If I didn’t, chances are she wouldn’t be here anymore. But even after that, she managed to walk away with Unknown Attack Potency. It just so happens that she freezes everything around her and makes a blizzard, and there’s a way to calculate the energy involved with that and give her AP. Let’s make this thing my first calculation.

The Information:

Unless freezing fountains can provide a satisfactory calculation, I may settle for calculating Winter Woman’s blizzard. Both times she had frozen someone, it’s described as becoming “stiff/frozen as a frozen fish” [Page 16 and 37]. That would probably imply a rather strong cold, and likely serious frostbite.

Formula: Energy = mass x specific heat capacity x change in temperature

Miki Saiki’s saga starts in early autumn in Japan, after “The heat that oppressed the city streets has vanished” [Page 4]. According to Matcha, we would expect a temperature between 23 C and 28 C on a September afternoon. Yu likely encounters Saiki at this time as he’s coming home from school [Page 5]. For the greatest change in temperature, we’ll assume it’s a warm afternoon of 28 C for our starting temperature.

By definition, blizzards contain wind speeds over 35mph. Thanks to weather.gov’s chart, we may be able to guesswork where our end temperature should be. Although it’s never explicitly mentioned, it should be reasonable to assume her victims get frostbite rather quickly from her blizzard. At minimum for a reasonable 10-minute frostbite risk, the base temperature would be about -5 F (about -20.5 C). Assuming Yu can get frostbite within 5 minutes, the temperature would be -20 F (-28.8 C). This takes into account the 35mph wind chill factor, which would naturally make things even colder.

This puts our change in temperature at a low end of 48.5 C, and a high end of 56.8.

Now for the tricky part of calculating air. The heat capacity changes according to its temperature, but it seems negligible at lower temperatures (Between 250 Kelvin at 1.003 Cp and 300 Kelvin at 1.005 Cp, there is a difference of 0.002 Cp). Since the temperature in C is close to these two values, I’ll make an average of 1.004 Cp for our air.

The density of air, another value that changes with temperature, is 1.276 kg/m^3 at 0 C. I’ll use that for our density, and assume a 5m radius (about 15ft) to her range and a 2m height which should cover the affected area. Note that I’m basically making an educated guess on what area I think makes sense for the calculation. Putting these values into a calculator, the cylinder I made has a volume of 157.08m^3. That’s a mass of 200.43408 kg.

Final Calculation:

Low End: 200.43408 x 1.004 x 48.5 = 9759.93709152 J : 9.759 kJ : Street Level

High End: 200.43408 x 1.004 x 56.8 = 11430.194367 J : 11.43 kJ : Street Level

Sources:
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-properties-d_156.html
https://www.weather.gov/media/owlie/wind-chill-brochure.pdf
https://www.mangaeden.com/en/en-manga/spider-man/9/13/
https://matcha-jp.com/en/1332#:~:text=Autumn in Japan comprises the,the morning and at night.

This will probably be stuck on the Calculations Evaluations thread so people can take a look. Let me know if I made any mistakes, or if it seems good enough to approve and be applied to Miki Saiki's page.

Back