• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Wiki linking to discussion threads or Discord images

For the record, even locked pages like Regeneration and the Discussion Rules link to the wiki forum for clarifications

The discussion rules just clarify where the discussions that various rules were based on took place. The Regeneration page probably shouldn't do so though.

I have noticed it every now and then. Creating an explicit rule became a more urgent issue when StrymULTRA and Bobsican started to argue with me about me telling them to stop this practice, due to wanting to link to forum threads for the sake of expediency.

I see. In that case, yes, an explicit rule would be good.

For clarification?
For example:

Regeneration page:

"Instances of characters being wounded and inexplicably recovering off screen should not be taken as evidence of regeneration unless supported by further context. This is due to reasons ranging from possibility of off-screen treatment to continuity errors. See this thread for reference."

How would we summarize the contents of an entire discussion for the purposes of a whole blog post or footnote, for instance? And would linking to the wiki forum anyways for referencial purposes over such places be allowed regardless?

I'm pretty sure we already weren't supposed to link to discussion threads on the profiles lol.

For example:

Regeneration page:

"Instances of characters being wounded and inexplicably recovering off screen should not be taken as evidence of regeneration unless supported by further context. This is due to reasons ranging from possibility of off-screen treatment to continuity errors. See this thread for reference."

How would we summarize the contents of an entire discussion for the purposes of a whole blog post or footnote, for instance? And would linking to the wiki forum anyways for referencial purposes over such places be allowed regardless?
I would appreciate if you or somebody else writes a summary for the relevant points/reasons in a footnotes section for the page. It should not be impossible.

Anyway, I would still appreciate suggestions for draft texts for the two rules. I can try to clean up the text flow afterwards.

For the first, something like:
Do not link content revision threads from the forum as justification for any rating on the profiles. Instead, blog posts should be made with the relevant information and then linked to the pages.

For the second, there is already a rule about using imgur. It can be expanded:
  • Please do not directly link pages to free online manga reading sites. These sites can be laden with malware and cause legal troubles for users living in countries where anti-piracy laws are strictly enforced. If you would like to link a manga scan or similar image as evidence for a feat, please download the picture and upload it as an image on this wiki or to a third-party site like Imgur so that it may be used fairly while minimizing potential ramifications. Please do not use discord for this purpose as the images can be removed/deleted along with the server they are posted in, thus compromising the longevity.

Thank you. How about this?

"Do not link to content revision threads from the forum as justification for any information in our profile pages. Instead, blog posts that contain the relevant information should be created, and then linked to in the pages. Alternately, footnote explanation sections can be added if the texts are comparatively brief."

"Please do not directly link pages to free online manga reading sites. These sites can be laden with malware and cause legal troubles for users living in countries where anti-piracy laws are strictly enforced. If you would like to link a manga scan or similar image as evidence for a feat, please download the picture and upload it as an image on this wiki or to a third-party site like Imgur so that it may be used fairly while minimizing potential ramifications. However, you should definitely not use Discord for this purpose, as the images can easily be removed/deleted along with the server that they are posted in, thus severely compromising their longevity."

Last edited:
Thank you. I will add it then.

I handled it:

There was a previous brief rule about linking to discussion threads, so I expanded on it with the text I posted earlier.

Can I ask why exactly discord images aren’t allowed? Especially when people have dedicated servers and specific channels for scans to index said scans?

Because the images very easily disappear as soon as Discord posts or chat channels are removed, and we have no guarentees from Discord itself regarding for how long they will be hosted otherwise either, given that hosting image is not the main purpose of the company. We have already made a decision about this, and will have to initiate a revision project quite soon as well.

And what about channels we make sure to never remove period? This is a massive stretch to do, especially for verses that have predominantly discord scans that are all organized in specific channels run by people who know what the **** they're doing. This is just more unnecessary work here.

It isn't unnecessary work to upload the images to the wiki or Imgur. It is a necessary safety measure to avoid that they are not removed entirely in the long run.

Which lies to the person who posted the scans in the first place, not discord itself. It’s one thing entirely if discord was shutting down and we needed to save the scans, but considering how popular discord is in general I severely doubt it’s going to be gone anytime soon. So again I find this unnecessary to do, especially for discord when this applies to a good chunk of other sites that focuses on taking screenshots.

And what about channels we make sure to never remove period?
I mean, we can't be sure of that. It's not regulated by us. Anybody can delete the images or the channel or the server, they are not protected by us or anything, unlike the images uploaded on the wiki which can only be deleted by admins. And we don't have to worry about mass deletion of images from imgur either. They pose much less risk in comparison to images hosted on discord. It's better to be safe.

If it’s regulated by members who organize scans then there’s nothing to worry about when it comes to discord scans being deleted.

People have been known to take rash decisions. If someone goes berserk for whatever reason and decides to nuke it all, who will be responsible? It's better to be safe when we easily can. Uploading images to imgur or the wiki is also not that hard.

What if the server has a bot that saves and records all deleted posts for future recovery? What if they delete all their images on Imgur out of rash behavior? This logic also applies to other places that’s known for storing screenshots for vs debates. So again, having discord screenshots be forbidden is unnecessary and makes a lot of time wasted, especially if there’s hundreds upon hundreds of discord screenshots on the wiki.

I mean, we can't be sure of that. It's not regulated by us. Anybody can delete the images or the channel or the server, they are not protected by us or anything, unlike the images uploaded on the wiki which can only be deleted by admins. And we don't have to worry about mass deletion of images from imgur either. They pose much less risk in comparison to images hosted on discord. It's better to be safe.
People have been known to take rash decisions. If someone goes berserk for whatever reason and decides to nuke it all, who will be responsible? It's better to be safe when we easily can. Uploading images to imgur or the wiki is also not that hard.
I agree with AKM. It is far too unsafe to use Discord for both his and my stated reasons. My apologies, but the decision has already been made.

Ant, again you do realize this same logic applies to every single place that has screenshots right? Only one person has personal access to their own Imgur scans and can edit them. By this logic, we cannot use Imgur because that user can go berserk and delete all of their scans too. Discord has much more features to save previously deleted posts with bots that record and archive deleted posts and can be restored if needed. This is a massive exaggeration to disregard discord screenshots in its entirety.

Other people can't nuke your Imgur stuff. Another person could nuke a Discord image, even if posted by you. I think it's a fine restriction to make. It literally only benefits us and adds a smidgeon of security. Any screenshots from Discord can be posted elsewhere, I fail to see the problem.

I strongly agree with Bambu.

However, I think that it is preferable to upload images to the wiki and linking to them, instead of Imgur.

@Mr._Bambu they can be limited to NOT delete your images, roles in discord servers exist to prevent people from having certain benefits too. Also my point isn’t the fact that OTHERS can delete Imgur files, I’m talking about AKM’s point on how people can go berserk and just delete things in mass. Which again, Imgur isn’t the best example when one person can control the scans they have and said person could also delete the scans in mass with no control whatsoever.

A person can only delete his/her images on imgur and even then it's not as easy as anybody just deleting an entire server/channel where the images are hosted on discord which could contain images posted by many people with a single click. If we are talking about the security of images, then it goes like this: wiki > imgur > discord.

You’re ignoring my point AKM. That one person who can edit their own scans could also gberserk and delete their scans as well going off your logic, the only difference is you cannot restore their scans since you cannot go to their account and save them. Discord just like the wiki has safety measures To archive any and all deleted posts on the server if you have the right bots to do so.

Actually, on Imgur, deleting your album won't always delete the images already publicly uploaded. Imgur is also more preferable if scans contain vulgar language or gory feats since Fandom doesn't like that stuff. Also a quick reminder, Discordapp images can also be quickly posted in an Imgur album and stay there. And even if servers get deleted, if someone had urls to said images before then, they could always post it on other servers to further make them have addresses.

The same can be said for discord scans as you can post them in any server, which means they aren’t really gone and you have a backup scan to use.

Actually, on Imgur, deleting your album won't always delete the images already publicly uploaded. Imgur is also more preferable if scans contain vulgar language or gory feats since Fandom doesn't like that stuff. Also a quick reminder, Discordapp images can also be quickly posted in an Imgur album and stay there. And even if servers get deleted, if someone had urls to said images before then, they could always post it on other servers to further make them have addresses.
What about Gyazo? Hundreds of related scans are on Gyazo, some of them are super, super specific for super specific-but-important scenarios that can only be handled by the verse experts themselves.

Majority of them are for BlazBlue, IIRC, but a bunch of other verses have it too.

Last edited:
You’re ignoring my point AKM. That one person who can edit their own scans could also gberserk and delete their scans as well going off your logic, the only difference is you cannot restore their scans since you cannot go to their account and save them. Discord just like the wiki has safety measures To archive any and all deleted posts on the server if you have the right bots to do so.
I'm not ignoring your point. You're misunderstanding mine.

On imgur, a person can only delete his/her own scans. (And even then, users like me who don't have an account on imgur and only go to post an image and get out, cannot go back to delete those images again.)

On discord, a person can delete his/her own scans, as well as nuke an entire channel/server if they feel like it, which compromises scans posted by a lot of other people too. So the risk is greater.

As for the bots, again, we are not regulating those servers. So we don't know which server is owned by who and which server has bots. And bots are not above the owners. If the owner decides to not install a bot or decides to nuke the channel/server, even bots are useless.

Simply put, images hosted on discord are risky. Riskier than imgur, and even riskier than wiki. And we are trying to mitigate it.

And when his/her own scans get deleted on Imgur you can’t get them back.

Ok, that’s not discord’s fault then, it’s the fault of the user not being responsible, which again applies to anyone who uses any platform that can use screenshots for scans.

Ok? We aren’t regulating Imgur either, on top of the fact the people who use Imgur to post scans and control what they can or can’t post we can’t do much when their scans get deleted if they become irresponsible.

again, by this logic any scan focused site is risky just because they could potentially be gone. There’s no need to do this crap when the same logic applies anywhere.

What about Gyazo? Hundreds of related scans are on Gyazo, some of them are super, super specific for super specific-but-important scenarios that can only be handled by the verse experts themselves.

Majority of them are for BlazBlue, IIRC, but a bunch of other verses have it too.
Yes, Gyazo is much like Imgur and also fine.

Ok, that’s not discord’s fault then, it’s the fault of the user not being responsible, which again applies to anyone who uses any platform that can use screenshots for scans.
You still don't get it. On imgur, I can't delete pics posted by 100 other users. On discord, I can. Hence, the platform itself is more risky.

again, by this logic any scan focused site is risky just because they could potentially be gone.
The probability of imgur being gone is rather low. We are mitigating risk, not reducing it to zero. The safest option is to only upload images on the wiki, but we are taking a calculated risk by allowing imgur.

This discussion is already circular. The decision has already been taken.

Back