• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Who killed Hypnos

From what I read, it was most likely just one of the creatures beyond the First Gate. This was of course after he went there the first time and got driven insane. After failing to keep himself from sleeping, he returned to the Gate and was completely annihilated.

The story described a reddish-gold light that struck Hypnos before turning him into a charred husk. This was done by merely catching their gaze when he returned the second time around. So yes, a character with uncountable and likely infinite levels of transcendence above already dimensionless reality and primal concepts of nature got completely destroyed by nothing more than the notice of that which exists beyond the First Gate.

Lord Zeref Dragneel said:
Damn that is insane!
That was my original reaction, especially after finding out the sheer difference in power between any two Gates is far larger than normal transcendence. IIRC, the difference between the strongest being in one Gate and the weakest in a higher Gate is larger than the difference between the weakest in the first Gate and baseline dimensionless space.

So basically the difference is larger than that of an 11-C and a baseline 1-A.

Bruh that is mind boggling! Did the beings beyond the first gate even notice Hypnos or did they just accidentally kill him by Hypnos catching a tiny glimpse of them?

Bruh that is mind boggling! Did the beings beyond the first gate even notice Hypnos or did they just accidentally kill him by Hypnos catching a tiny glimpse of them?
The first time around, they didn't notice Hypnos and he went insane as a result of being in their presence. This turned him into a broken shell of his former self that vowed to never sleep again. When he could no longer keep himself from sleeping, he regained his godly youth but wound up at the First Gate again. This time, one of the creatures noticed and destroyed him on a whim.

They destroyed him simply by existing? Wow
I'd recommend you read the Cthulhu Mythos explanation blog explaining most of the cosmology of the verse. While you won't find much information on the degrees of transcendence of the top tiers, it'll at least give you a vague idea of the hierarchy of power and the positions of some of the characters within it.

More along the lines of them destroying Hypnos with a look in his general direction. They do however mind-break him with nothing more than their presence.

By the way, do you have any idea of how many Gates there are in the Mythos? I've been looking for an exact estimate and what I've confirmed so far is that there's an uncountable and 'limitless' number of them. A few people have suggested that they're infinite so any quotes that could help would be appreciated.

Planck69 said:
By the way, do you have any idea of how many Gates there are in the Mythos? I've been looking for an exact estimate and what I've confirmed so far is that there's an uncountable and 'limitless' number of them. A few people have suggested that they're infinite so any quotes that could help would be appreciated.
Can you send the qoute where it states there are limitless number of Gates?

Kerwin0831 said:
Can you send the qoute where it states there are limitless number of Gates?
The limitless statement is from the Lovecraft wiki though they don't really provide a quote I'm afraid, sorry. Though I could find a quote that reaffirms multiple gates and another one that could be interpreted as a fairly large number of them but I'd take a few minutes to get them.

I've read hypnos and through the gates of the silver key and there is no implication that there are limitless number of them. The only thing that was stated was there was a "multiplicity" of gates. In which synonymous to great number but not countless/limitless. Saying it is throught it is a weak argument since it'd be based on interpretation.

I though that going through the Second Gate leads to the Outer Chaos? Or did I misinterpret this. Its been a while since I read either Hypnos or Gates of the Silver Key. I would have to look through them again, or are there other novels that mention the Gates, like Azathoth, Fungi of Soggoth, Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath.

I know those give some of the greatest views of the cosmology of the Cthulu-Mythos. But do they say more about the Gates?

Yeah, I looked over it today, and it was the Ultimate Gate that led out to the Chaos.

Its just been a while, my memory was fuzzy. But thanks for the response anyway.

Who woulden't kill one of those things, they kidnap children, lure them into the forest; and likely consume the fresh and ripe meat off their bones.

Hypno eats people, he is pure evil.

I had no idea they ate people. I was making a joke but geez!

Hypno, you monsters.

Back