• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What if Azathoth disappeared?

Udlmaster

They/Them
Who would take his place?

The Nameless Mist, The Unnamed Darkness

or

Yog-Sothoth?

I've thought about it, who would take Azathoth's place?

What if you remove something? Will nothing appear?

No, Everything that takes place, and doesn't, is but the manifestation of what several other primal entities desire to do with it. Such as yog-soth, the nameless mist, the unnamed darkness, they are transdual. And twist dualism however they choose.

"Dream", a term for you understand the significance of your insignificance, these primal entities give meaning to it, including the meaning of themselves.

Terms such as Preceding, succeeding, are irrelevant and empty for the transdual. They gave meaning to beingnss, non-beingness, all which takes within the boundless confinement of it.

Now while what ProspectX can hold true, we can think of your question in another way.

What if the entity that is Azathoth disapeared ? Will the dream remain ? Would the overpowered entity singing around it bring even more calamities and unfathomable concepts the world ?

And then what of the ones who's purpose is linked to Azathoth ? If Nyarlathotep's role is to act on the wish of its master, will it result in an elevation of status where it can finaly play without interuption or a loss of its very being ?

Will Yog-Sothoth omnicience and omnipresence be the true universe ? Will the Darkness be the limit of it ?

See this whole H.P. cosmogony thinking is interesting because of every possibilities that goes with it. We will never really get an answer to your question, but it's fun to try.

EDIT : I realize I didn't answer the second question : who will take its place ? And it's likely nobody (if there is still an existence so to speak) as to break through the tier 0 limitation, any of these entity would have to lose their being and erase everything to re-create everything (the big everything) after their image.

It's a complicated way to say that there can only be one entity of tier 0. And if this entity disapear and (somehow) existence still maintain itself, there will never be one, and it will be as if there hasn't ever been one.

"Killing" Azathoth would destroy the lovecraft multiverse. Ein Sof, Parabrahman, TOAA, the law of identity, The Writer all look on as it "explodes" and recreate it.

Okay, let me rephrase the question, what if Azathoth was retconned but nothing else.

kek

But who would take Azathoth's place if Azathoth was retconned, Mist, Darkness, Yog, Niggrath?

Yog and the Mist are likely the same thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Darkness is also. If OP's asking who's the strongest besides Azathoth, then probably Yog but even from how its written its incredibly limited compared to the true boundlessness that is the daemon sultan. If Azathoth wasn't written, I'm sure one of those "characters" would basically be written in the same way.

What if Azathoth dreamed of another being just as powerful as him who also created a whole other existence in his dreams, and then that being dreamed of another duplicate Azathoth who created more existence in his dreams?

What if Azathoth had a dream where he went to sleep inside his dream and dreamed inside his dream? Azathothception?

Can Azathoth dream of a stone so heavy that he can't even lift it?

For a serious answer, stuff like that is first of all why tier 0s are only questionably omnipotent, but it can do what it wants because beings unfathomably weaker than it are already superior to the idea of logic. Also, saying that Azathot is asleep isn't exactly correct, as that's only how our limited human perspective can attempt to make sense of it's state of "existence".

As stated above, with Tier 0 entity (and Highlander), there can only be one. If you retconned Azathoth, it will be the same as a lot of other mithologies or verse where there is just no being of this caliber.

I actually could take a Lovecraft universe with the Mist and Darkness being a dual overpowered master of everything with only Yog-Sothoth knowing what really is.

Back